• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler in Gloucestershire (1 Viewer)

Ravenwing

I always struggle with certain warblers. Am I correct that this is a Garden Warbler?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Attachments

• Warbler s.jpg
    Warbler s.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 162
I don't doubt you but I thought Chiffchaff had a yellow stripe over the eye. I have other pictures of this bird with no eye stripe and long primary projections.

If you have other pictures showing this bird in a different light, in different poses, or different parts of it, it would be great if you could post them too. Identifying a bird from a single photo can be very tricky, and it would be nice if those asking for help gave those helping as much assistance as possible by posting a range of images.

Andrea

Looks like a juv Reed warbler on first impression but ruling out Garden warbler is kind of difficult. Your picture of the primary projection would clear this up.

If you have other pictures showing this bird in a different light, in different poses, or different parts of it, it would be great if you could post them too. Identifying a bird from a single photo can be very tricky, and it would be nice if those asking for help gave those helping as much assistance as possible by posting a range of images.

Andrea

Thanks for the advice so far and sorry that I only posted the one photo, I was in a rush last night. I am attaching the 4 reasonable pictures that I have of it. If it helps it was flying between reeds and the purple flowers near water.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 55
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 57
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 61
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 84
Primary projection not really visible but it's a juv Acrocephalus nevertheless. Probably a Reed since it was taken in the UK, but habitat looks interesting, just saying...

Primary projection not really visible but it's a juv Acrocephalus nevertheless. Probably a Reed since it was taken in the UK, but habitat looks interesting, just saying...

Do these poorer pictures help at all ?

Attachments

• w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 75
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back