• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trading ''Two Wheels for Four'' Fuerteventura Dec.26th-Jan.2nd Concluding Part 5. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Whilst I was hunting Houbara on Wednesday, my wife strolled along the beach at Calleta del Fuste, where she stopped for a coffee at the Chiringuito Beach Restaurante, whilst walking towards a table she noticed a large wader alighting, and scattering the Turnstones that often take scraps from the customers tables, the tables almost being in alignment with the café wall, where the birds hang-out. She suggested that it was a Greenshank on size, and had long green legs with a long bill, however to my mind...it didn't stack up. As a would be totally ''alien'' behaviour for the species!...but then on the other hand...if you can call out a Houbara...then perhaps anything goes?

Friday saw us do a circuit of the desert strip adjacent to the resort...seeing offshore Immature Gannet, Southern Great Grey Shrike, Kentish Plover, Spanish Sparrow, Berthelot's Pipit, Lesser Short-Toed Lark, Trumpeter Finch, Cattle Egret and a Swallow.

Eventually retiring to the Beach Restaurante, as we made our way to the available tables...I couldn't believe my eyes...there on one of the tables was my wife's Greenshank...only It wasn't...as I thought...she'd mis-ID'd it!
It was ''only'' a RUFF!!...It would appear that this normally retiring, scarce visitor to Fuerteventura at least, had been ''decoyed'' by the Turnstones, and was attempting to dominate the ''waiting on tables'' a truly bizarre occurrence in my book....

I'm thinking of returning to the Island next Xmas/New Year...don't know if I'll be able to handle the excitement :eek!:...but then lightening doesn't strike thrice...does it?

Cheers and a Happy New year to all.

Attachments

• P1200725.jpeg Span.Sprw. 1..jpeg
    P1200725.jpeg Span.Sprw. 1..jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P1200575.jpeg   Collared Dove.jpg
    P1200575.jpeg Collared Dove.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P1190819.jpeg  SGGShrike 6..jpg
    P1190819.jpeg SGGShrike 6..jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P1200601.jpeg   Ruff 3. for comp..jpeg
    P1200601.jpeg Ruff 3. for comp..jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P1200603.jpeg Ruff 2..jpeg
    P1200603.jpeg Ruff 2..jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back