• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trading ''Two Wheels for Four'' Fuerteventura Dec.26th-Jan.2nd. Part Four (1 Viewer)

KenM

Wednesday's experience was clearly a ''one-off'' Thursday would be much more sedate...wouldn't it?

Set off to Pajara hoping to add African Blue Tit to the list, that would be our days objective, upon arriving and parking close to the ''Town Park'' we remarked on how attractive the town and gardens were. A profusion of flowering shrubs (oranges and purples) with fantastic Palms surrounding a central car parking area and a Kiddies play park.

I quickly declared that I'd got ABT!....a bit too quick though, as a more prolonged view revealed a Chiff Chaff...drats! Moments later the real McCoy African Blue Tit presented itself, before I could savour this ''life tick''....my attention quickly evaporated when I caught sight of a small, very fast Phyllosc. sp. arrowing into a tree with heavy leafage! I was left with a distinctly smaller than a Chiff Chaff feel!

I mentioned to my wife that it looked interesting! That was her cue to stroll round the town, leaving me in ''a was it..or wasn't it'' mode. Eventually I re-found it, (after 2 hours and for the first time in my life..I heard it call!) I'd managed some ''almost'' decent shots...of Yellow-Browed Warbler!!

I was extremely pleased! also of note a briefly seen Sardinian Warbler and two odd looking Chiff Chaffs, one Olive Brown uppers with prominent Super, and another bright-ish Green uppers with almost (white unders for both)...If anybody wants a ''racial'' stab...be my guest.

For me probably on a par with an attitudinal ''Houbara...you looking at'' incident...the bizarre case of ''When a few crumbs of comfort become...a Ruff deal'' To be continued.

Attachments

• P1200417.jpeg  African Blue Tit  1..jpeg
    P1200417.jpeg African Blue Tit 1..jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 74
  • P1200517.jpeg  YBW 24..jpeg
    P1200517.jpeg YBW 24..jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 71
  • P1200428.jpeg YBW. 20.jpeg
    P1200428.jpeg YBW. 20.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1200488.jpeg   Odd Phylloscopus.jpg
    P1200488.jpeg Odd Phylloscopus.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1200740.jpeg   Chiffy race sp.Fuerteventura.jpeg
    P1200740.jpeg Chiffy race sp.Fuerteventura.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 77
The concluding part of a ''week in the sun''.....on ''Houbara'' day (wed), my wife visited the Chiringuito Restaurante, Caleta del Fuste, located at the end of the boardwalk jutting out c100m from the beach and lagoons. Whilst there she noted that amongst the turnstones ''hanging-out'' on the adjacent café wall where they forage for ''scraps''was a ''Greenshank'', that was taking morsels from the deserted Café tables.

I did question her ID as this sounded ''not quite right'', she was adamant that it was a much bigger wader with longer bill and green legs!! not only that, but that it was chasing off the Turnstones for the scraps on offer.
I had grave doubts about the ID..but in the light of me calling out a Houbara....well anything's possible?

Thus after a stroll through the adjacent desert strip on Friday seeing Kentish Plover, Cattle Egret, Southern Great Grey Shrike, Berthelot's Pipit and an offshore immature Gannet, we returned to the ''Cafe'' for a much needed snack, as we approached the tables....I was ''gob-smacked''....my wife had clearly Mis-ID'd the bird...that was no Greenshank! It was a RUFF!!!!

Am still trying to come to terms with the fact, that an uncommon Winter visitor on Fuerteventura should be (attracted no doubt by the regular ''DECOY'' Turnstones) and behave in a most ''un-Ruff-like'' way. Indeed it's a wader that I don't see that often, and my impressions have always been...that it is an un-confiding species at best with humans?

I finished the week with 46 species....Quality over Quantity every time for me...and do I dare to come back? :eek!: Cheers and a Happy New Year to All.

Attachments

• P1200034.jpeg DEF 1. SGGShrike, Fuert..jpg
    P1200034.jpeg DEF 1. SGGShrike, Fuert..jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1200725.jpeg Span.Sprw. 1..jpeg
    P1200725.jpeg Span.Sprw. 1..jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1200601.jpeg   Ruff 3. for comp..jpeg
    P1200601.jpeg Ruff 3. for comp..jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P1200603.jpeg Ruff 2..jpeg
    P1200603.jpeg Ruff 2..jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1200575.jpeg   Collared Dove.jpg
    P1200575.jpeg Collared Dove.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back