• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newer Isn't Always Better (1 Viewer)

garth

Greetings All,

I've recently been shopping for binoculars ..... having used a Bushnell Custom Audobon 8x36 since the 80's . They eyecups were always rather small in diameter ..... but I thought that was just the way most were. I recently decided to look for some 10x models and while I was at it ... some 8x too.... to see what has improved .... or not..... since the 80's. I started with the low end ...... and worked my way up .

With the 8x ..... I've been rather disappointed .... about the only porro that compared with the Custom was a Nikon SE ...... but the focus was like slicing cold butter .... whereas the Customs is like slicing room temperature butter.... smooth and effortless . The Bushnell Legends were a good budget pair, but those twist up eyecups of theirs do not stay in place..... and have some kind of sticky lubricant inside the eyepiece that attracts everthing known to man.

Comparing with roofs is a bit different ..... I realize this may be because of the eyepieces being further apart and all . I get used to either .... like comparing apples and oranges ..... which one is best ? ..... it depends what moment you ask . About the only binos that compare well were the high end ones (Leica,Swaro,Zeiss).... for edge to edge sharpness, contrast and distortion. The control of CA is better in these brands though.

The eyecup diameter of every bino has gotten much bigger over time though ..... terrific ! All the rubber ? I can take it or leave it .

So .... I am rather suprised that binoculars are not better today..... except for the big 3. It seems you do get what you pay for. I think we paid in the $100-$200 range in the 80's for the Bushnells .... and that seemed alot at that time ;) . So, I look at whatever I spend as another investment ..... spread out over 20 plus years it's not very much. I did buy a 10x42 Swarovski SLC ... which I find excellent for the most part ..... except for some pincushion distortion ..... but don't they all !! I like the Swaro's so much I'm looking at an 8x .... but I wish the had an ultra wide one ! (7.8 degrees of the 8x30 seems the max)

All of these opinions are just that of course ..... subject to how my eyes and brain work together ;) . If I want the best view .... there are no shortcuts in price ..... so I ask myself what's 1-2-3 even $500 dollars over the course of time ? I wouldn't save a thing buying something that doesn't satisfy me ..... I'd just have to wait longer to get what I wanted in the first place. Of course .... not everyone needs/wants/can afford the best view ..... and someone else's best is not my best.

Best wishes, Garth

I agree 110%! Take a look at the "new" Leica Ultravid series for instance. This series has identical optics with the Trinovid series but with

1) cheaper and much less classy rubber armoring
2) cheaper carrying bag (Trinivids have genuine leather cases)
3) worse ocular lens covers
4) higher price!

Note, also, that they have NOT discontinued the Trinovid series! This is what I really hate seeing prestigious companies like Leica doing. There is little they can do to REALLY improve their binoculars simply because there is little left to do (from an engineering point of view).

Yet they have to come up with "something" for their marketing department so the result is a move backward: cheaper easier to produce products advertised as better and sold at a higher price. Zeiss and to some degree Swarovski are doing the same too :(

2Old2Care said:
I agree 110%! Take a look at the "new" Leica Ultravid series for instance. This series has identical optics with the Trinovid series but with

1) cheaper and much less classy rubber armoring
2) cheaper carrying bag (Trinivids have genuine leather cases)
3) worse ocular lens covers
4) higher price!

Note, also, that they have NOT discontinued the Trinovid series! This is what I really hate seeing prestigious companies like Leica doing. There is little they can do to REALLY improve their binoculars simply because there is little left to do (from an engineering point of view).

Yet they have to come up with "something" for their marketing department so the result is a move backward: cheaper easier to produce products advertised as better and sold at a higher price. Zeiss and to some degree Swarovski are doing the same too :(

The Ultravid is lighter than the Trinovid and wonderfully easy to hold.
A careful examination reveals the optics are not equal.
The armor on the Ultravid (I just cleaned mine) is robust and elegant.
The objective covers work great after the attachment straps are removed!
The eyepiece covers work flawlessly.
The cordura case is padded and field-worthy.

The more I use my Ultravid the more I like it.

John

I did an A/B comparison of 10x42Trinovids and Ultravids in broad daylight a few months ago. Ultravids are indeed a little bit sharper and brighter than its older siblings (due to 42-layer dielectic prism coating?). The differences are discernible, through not prominent. Still, I do not appreciate mechanics and assessories in Ultravids.

garth said:
.... having used a Bushnell Custom Audobon 8x36 since the 80's...

The 8x36 is an excellent binocular and I think you'll find it hard to find anything of the same optical quality these days without going to the top end of the market. If the 8x36 was still available new I'd certainly buy one. Whatever you do you should keep them as a spare.
Good luck.
John

Better Quality Bins!

I'm in the happy position of having owned quality bins for around 30 years, initially a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40, which I extolled the virtues of to anyone who would listen. A few years ago I married and encouraged my wife to buy good bins - she chose Leica Trinovids (current style).

I reckon I am a hot shot at bird watching, but soon realised she was picking up things I struggled to see. Swapping bins I soon realised how superior hers are to mine and now have new Trinovids. So it is indeed true that the quality makes are improving, although I have to admit I did not try current Zeiss.

Truth is I now sometimes wear glasses (didn't when I bought the Dialyts) and prefer the Leica sliding eye-cups, rather than fold-down rubber. I am also traditional and like a leather case! Just to be certain, I bought 12x50, whereas my wife has 10x42....

Graham.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back