• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife Scotland May/June 06 (1 Viewer)

Hi Kat

Great report there and what a wonderful list of birds and animals you saw. I'm still looking for Stonechat round here.

You do seem to have enjoyed your birthday too.

D

Absolutely wonderful report Kat, you should have popped in past for a cup of tea and some biscuits! ;)

Your photos are amazing and a Happy Belated Birthday too! :flowers:

A lovely report Kat, very well written. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and got to see some great birds and took some good photos.

Hi Kat.

What a well-presented report of your wonderful holiday. That certainly must have been a birthday to remember, and your bird/mammal count was something to be envied. Thanks very much for sharing it with us.

All the best.
Baz.

Wow! And double wow for the dolphin's in particular! Those are some really good pictures of them.

Sounds like you've had a brilliant time, thanks for showing us!

Hi Kat

What a beautifully presented report! I very much enjoyed reading that and sharing your experiences - I love the pics of the red squirrel and, of course, the dolphins. Glad you had such a lovely time, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Lapwing1 - yeah I should have done! No worries, I might be moving up to Aberdeen soon (fingers crossed) ;)

Yup, I had a great time up there though my mum kept stealing my binoculars! Its nice that she is getting more and more interested in birds, but I would like to be able to see them as well sometimes lol

Hi Kat,
Brilliant report I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and those pics are wonderful especially the Osprey and Dolphins....... which hopefully we'll be seeing again very soon.....just so exciting when you spot them isn't it?
Beautifully done,well done!
Best wishes,

Hi Kat

I'm afraid I have just got around to reading your report now. Its excellent with some great photographs. A really nice read. I have some empathy with the remark you made about, I think the Osprey, being a bird that, when younger you thought you would never see. I too remember looking through books and thinking that there was birds and wildlife in them that I would never see. Happily, in many cases I have been proven to be wrong on that score. Sometimes it has taken a bit of effort, but effort that brought great rewards.
I was up in Scotland myself, in May, during the very hot spell. I too saw Ospreys at both Loch Garten and Loch Insh. If you or others get the chance to visit loch insh it is a wonderful place to watch Ospreys. So too is Findhorn village on the east coast (Nairn Area) where they go to 'fish' (colony of seals there too and other birds). Sorry Kat you may know all this anyway. I am expecting to visit Loch of Lowes in July and do some walking around so hope I am lucky with the Ospreys.
Thanks fot the report.

take care

Hi Kat
great report, and super photos. Well done. I find it very interesting to read other peoples reports on what is my home patch. I reckon you did very well, at what is a fairly quiet time of year. I'm familiar with all the places you visited, and you saw just what I would have expected to be seen. Pity maybe you didn't spend more time on the Ythan estuary rather than a walk round Forvie Reserve, although to be fair, most of the waders have gone for now. I could have told you that Glen Tanar is not the most exciting place for birds, but very nice for a stroll. I was interested in your comment about oystercatchers nesting well inland. I believe they started doing this in NE Scotland about 50 years ago, and the practice may not be so common elsewhere. We live about 25 miles inland, and I look forward every year to hearing them piping during the night when they return from the coast. That's how I know spring is back! They were very late this year. Aberdeen harbour (well, out towards the lighthouse ) is a well known migrant hotspot especially spring and autumn. I've had quite a few good birds there over the years, and dipped on many more! I'm sure you would enjoy another trip up here, or a move here too. Feel free to make enquiries any time about local birding. There are some good web sites giving up to date info. Or you can have a look at my weblog, address below, to see what you might have seen!
All the best, Ken

Ken Hall said:
Hi Kat
great report, and super photos. Well done. I find it very interesting to read other peoples reports on what is my home patch. I reckon you did very well, at what is a fairly quiet time of year. I'm familiar with all the places you visited, and you saw just what I would have expected to be seen. Pity maybe you didn't spend more time on the Ythan estuary rather than a walk round Forvie Reserve, although to be fair, most of the waders have gone for now. I could have told you that Glen Tanar is not the most exciting place for birds, but very nice for a stroll. I was interested in your comment about oystercatchers nesting well inland. I believe they started doing this in NE Scotland about 50 years ago, and the practice may not be so common elsewhere. We live about 25 miles inland, and I look forward every year to hearing them piping during the night when they return from the coast. That's how I know spring is back! They were very late this year. Aberdeen harbour (well, out towards the lighthouse ) is a well known migrant hotspot especially spring and autumn. I've had quite a few good birds there over the years, and dipped on many more! I'm sure you would enjoy another trip up here, or a move here too. Feel free to make enquiries any time about local birding. There are some good web sites giving up to date info. Or you can have a look at my weblog, address below, to see what you might have seen!
All the best, Ken

Yeah, would have liked to spend more time around the Ythan estuary but lots of places to see in just one week! I've got another Scotland holiday due in August - will be heading over to Mull for sea-eagles and sharks and then back to the East coast. Will probably head up there again in the autumn though looking how things are going a move up there is far more likely now so I'll be on a permanent holiday in Scotland ;)

I'll be off to see the bank about a mortage this week :h?: Just to see what the post-graduate mortage deal is like and talk to a human about our options!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back