• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (5 Viewers)

Dan - for the layman who doesn't really enter the politics of birding and listing - what you're saying is that certain people want to list more birds in the county than their "competitors" and are prepared to supress very rare sightings in order to keep their tally higher? If so then wow, I didn't realise things could stoop that low or get that bitter.

Dan - for the layman who doesn't really enter the politics of birding and listing - what you're saying is that certain people want to list more birds in the county than their "competitors" and are prepared to supress very rare sightings in order to keep their tally higher? If so then wow, I didn't realise things could stoop that low or get that bitter.

OOOH its been much worse than bitter in Derbyshire listing history..... its a long, long story though and we were getting much better, I just hope this doesn't open old wounds and start the whole sorry story all over again........... It gave us an awful reputation all over the country for a while years ago and mud sticks as the ysay even when its nothing to do with the majority of us birding here.

I sadly saw no terns at Carsi last night but only brief visit after dipping the stork, 4 Shelduck in front of Sheepwash though and a Hobby over the road at Middleton Top......

ATB

Steph'

I've only been on the circuit so to speak for a relatively short time but I've heard many a story of supression in not just Derbyshire but other counties too. If it's a rare breeding bird then it's perfectly understandable...or even if the bird is in a real sensitive area then that too in my eyes is understandable.

But there does seem to be that element out there that want the bird all to themselves and sod the rest. I'm quite glad I'm fairly new to birding if it was much worse a few years back......or maybe it's still just as bad now and we're just not hearing of what's out there.

A couple of good birds today at Carsington, a site tick Green Woodpecker flew towards the visitor centre from the fields behind the WLC, which is interesting at this time of year,
An Arctic Tern flew in over the dam wall at 10:10hr and made its way up the reservoir, past Sheepwash, before flying through to the north at 10:25.
Others included 4 LRP, 2 Common Sand,3 GN Divers (adult now stunning), but no sign of Sacred Ibis.

A couple of good birds today at Carsington, a site tick Green Woodpecker flew towards the visitor centre from the fields behind the WLC, which is interesting at this time of year,
An Arctic Tern flew in over the dam wall at 10:10hr and made its way up the reservoir, past Sheepwash, before flying through to the north at 10:25.
Others included 4 LRP, 2 Common Sand,3 GN Divers (adult now stunning), but no sign of Sacred Ibis.

I see a Sacred Ibis was reported over Manchester today..........i didnt realise how much interest it would create. Quite a few sites getting into it.

Here in Norfolk its been a raptor day - Montys back at two sites, Marsh Harriers building a nest opposite our bedroom window, 2 Rough Legs at Burnham and a report of the Tundra Peregrine again. Add Buzz, Sprawk, Kestrel, Red Kite and its been good.

Black Kite reported at Stiffkey would be nice if it sticks and wasnt far from a ringtail Hen Harrier at Choseley whilst counting Dotties.

19:47 28/04/11 Sacred Ibis Cheshire Delamere Forest 19:24
two (1 metal-ringed) by road at Blakemere Moss mid-evening

The bird I saw had a metal ring on left leg. Its odd that two have "met up" - there was only one at Carsi, but we must assume that one of these was that one.

any news from back home re Black Storks?

Rod Keys page doesnt give anymore news yet -

"•BLACK STORK Further to the sighting on Sunday 24th April there was a pager sighting yesterday-25th April of one being seen from the Hopping Farm Caravan Site which is about a mile south of Youlgreave. The bird appeared to land in a field about a third of a mile south of the Caravan Park at 11.00.a.m. Unfortunately the news did not come out until about 6.00.p.m. and when it was looked for there were apparently a number of walkers in the area. I believe the site has also been well covered today-26th April without any luck. "

Can anyone advise which part of Carsington the divers can best be seen, or most likely be seen?

Thanks in advance.

Always a difficult one to answer as they move about so much. Today the adult, in summer plumage, was close in to the wildlife centre (main car park). the 2 second year birds were showing very well from Sheepwash hide, with one very close. Best bet is to try Sheepwash where you have a fair view of a large amount of the res (plus free parking), if that fails get out on Stones Island, where you probably have a better chance of the adult.

Always a difficult one to answer as they move about so much. Today the adult, in summer plumage, was close in to the wildlife centre (main car park). the 2 second year birds were showing very well from Sheepwash hide, with one very close. Best bet is to try Sheepwash where you have a fair view of a large amount of the res (plus free parking), if that fails get out on Stones Island, where you probably have a better chance of the adult.

Appreciated Clive, thank you

Decent day at Padley Gorge today; Pied Flycatchers, Wood Warbler, Redstart, Tree Pipits, Cuckoo and Stonechats; the Wood Warbler and Tree Pipit were new birds for me and all but the Redstart were year ticks.

The year list is now taking a decent shape with 153 birds, bolstered by several lifers this year (GG Shrike, Wood Lark and Lesser Pecker in North Notts; Iberian Chiffchaff, Garganey and Shore Lark in Norfolk; Twite and Corn Bunting at Frampton Marsh; Slav Grebe at Eyebrook).

Last year's year list was 162 and so I hope to beat that comfortably, and there's a few Derbyshire birds I can still pick up so I might be picking some brains on here later in the year and maybe trying to pick up a few more twitchable birds in derbyshire; time, petrol and family permitting.

Some record shots from today.

Attachments

• DSC_0053_small.jpg
    DSC_0053_small.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0087_small.jpg
    DSC_0087_small.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0056_small.jpg
    DSC_0056_small.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 77
Nightingale reported on Ambaston Lane near Sharp bend....... Thats nr Shardlow by the way. Heading out soon I think !!

ATB

Steph'

Had a very good walk today around Kinder Scout from Hayfield. Highlights in about 4 hour walk were Ring Ouzel, 2 Red Grouse, Pied Flycatcher, 4+ Curlew and 2 Swift.

Nightingale showed well a couple of brief times other wise it was elusive, but was singing well, seems to be doing a bit of a circuit round the scrubby area.

The site is about halfway down Ambaston lane, if you take the first left turn in Shardlow coming from the A6 that is signed "Ambaston only" head down the long straight to the bend on a slight hump and the bird is singing along the hedge and behind for the next 50 yards... best viewed from the metal gate opposite the oil seed rape field looking back towards the line of taller trees. Park carefully!!

Also flyby Hobby, 3 Arctic Terns and a distant flock of waders!

ATB

Steph'

Last edited:
Eventually saw the Nightingale after about an hour. Went down with Clive and heard it sing on and off in very blustery conditions. As Steph says, it seems to be doing circuits of the scrubby area. A long overdue county bird with the last one being in 1999 at Drakelow. A good show of Warblers there too. Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff and Whitethroat all present. Also a Yellow Wag over.

Decent day today, up at Carsington 3 GN Divers,6 Arctic Terns, Yellow Wag, Redstart ,7 Swifts, several Common Sandpipers and LR Plovers, though missed the Waxwing that Roger had.
Lathkill Dale 4+ Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, 2 Yellow wagtail (on fields above dale) and 2 Mandarin.
Then down for the Nightingale, which as Dave said showed eventually.

Goosander on R Lathkill

Saw a pair of goosander while walking along the R Lathkill this morning. They were upsetting a female coot on her nest near Over Haddon.

Not much else about in the strong winds unfortunately.

Hopefully will get to see the nightingale today.
A bit late from the other day but was in Yorkshire yesterday. But I had a Swift over Beeley 2 evenings ago, not much else around as it was perishing! Only other thing of note was a bird of prey I couldn't id, all I know was it was a falcon and was fairly large, very fast and also appeared to attack a swallow. Just wish I knew what it was.

Nightingale showed well last evening - got there at 8 ish as having been in Norfolk last week, found that time good for their birds.

It sang from within the Hawthorn for a while and then we (Richard Taylor, Chris Brown, Colin Bowler) spread out as it went quiet. It sang again, crossed the road in front of us and sat on the wooden fence for a couple of seconds. Then it was heard 50 yards down the lane within 10 seconds! at this stage we kept hearing what was possibly two birds - a nearby Song Thrush kept repeating the Nightingales first 3 notes, but this was full song.
Anyway, we cannot prove two birds due to its ability to throw its voice etc........

we also could not rule out mimicry from a Marsh Warbler...;)

The habitat looked spot on with a damp stream, loads of dense cover etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back