• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (1 Viewer)

Ken the most useful part for me is it shows me what I don't know about the bird:-O

I guess I may learn that too. But I think for me the most useful part if that it draws out my intuitive knowledge of the bird. There's no time at all to be conscious of what I'm doing. So in something like this I'm forced to be bolder and then happily surprised at seeing more success than I could ever hope for. I guess to an extent it's like learning to swim by being thrown into the water. Momentarily at least they give me more confidence in myself, well most of the time.

In anticipation of the winds of Hurricane Irene arriving over the next 24 hours this 15 minute watercolor of a Green Heron landing in the wind at Magee Marsh in Ohio in May.

There are a number of things I'd like to change but 15 minutes is 15 minutes. His wing is up and pointed out at the viewer but I' m not sure that this captured that.

Attachments

• gjHeronFlash082711.jpg
    gjHeronFlash082711.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 66
This thread will never lay down all the while quality work keeps popping up on it!

Mike

I think I feel a personal obligation to throw up something every once in awhile just because I like these quick paintings so much. Viewing them that is. Of course I also enjoy making them. And it forces me to be loose with my old nemesis, watercolor.

First try with gouache, since out doors I will have to paint on the fly without drawing I thought this would be a good way to practice...I had the id forum check this one....California Gull, has pale legs and is smaller than the Western

I used a toned gesso made of liquitex grey gesso, white gesso, matte medium,, naples yellow and white, all acrylic. Plain gesso was too rough and absorbent.
This is a warm grey, I will be trying out some other colors. I coat both sides of rough 140# Arches, as you can see I brush it on and leave a free white edge, which gives it a "frame" and I like the look of it.

This has a sort of old fashioned look somehow, the ground mellows the colors even tho the bird is heavily painted

5x8 gouache on gessoed paper

Attachments

• western gull5571.jpg
    western gull5571.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back