• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need a new printer! (1 Viewer)

Boy George

My Epson Stylus Photo 1290 has just died after approx. 10 reliable years.

What I really liked was the ability to print up to A3+ but was not so keen on the need I established early on to only use Epson Cartridges and paper, otherwise results were hopeless. 7dayshop are good on price but even so the black cartridge is about £18 and the (single) colour about £20.

I want to replace with an A3+ Inkjet printer and should appreciate feedback from those of you out there who do print pics, as I know many don't. I guess I'll end up with either another Epson, a Canon or HP.

Thanks in anticipation.

Adrian

Looking for a good one myself (not necessarily A3, but may stretch to one) so shall watch this thread with avid interest. Neil.

Looking for a good one myself (not necessarily A3, but may stretch to one) so shall watch this thread with avid interest. Neil.

Hi Neil,

The response was deafening (not!) huh?

However, I have found the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk11 at Warehouse Express for £348 with £100 Cashback from Canon so net price £248 - this might just suit you too.

This printer came top for quality in a recent "Photoplus" magazine test. The Epson 1400 was best value (£284 I think) at WE so the Canon wins hands down.

Regards

Adrian

For what its worth I got the Canon Pixma 9000 Mk11 because of the offer mentioned. I have used Epsom before, but this Canon is a cracker. I have tried ink from 123 print cartridges and found them to be fine, a slight alteration to the printer settings were made, now its all systems go.
Tony

For what its worth I got the Canon Pixma 9000 Mk11 because of the offer mentioned. I have used Epsom before, but this Canon is a cracker. I have tried ink from 123 print cartridges and found them to be fine, a slight alteration to the printer settings were made, now its all systems go.
Tony

Thanks for the endorsement, Tony.

Adrian

Hi
I have the 9500 mk 1 and found it to be excellent. I am usually reluctant to use compatable ink cartridges and often find that Amazon are a reasonabble place to buy the Canon cartridges from.
Tony

Not much use to the OP but although I have a good quality photo printer I have ditched it in favour of a mono laser printer. I send all my colour printing to a lab, superb quality and cheaper than printer yourself IMO.

Last edited:
Come on now, Adrian - less than two days in, for a subject that by definition is likely to be going out to a limited knowledge base. Like you said yourself:

If I want prints bigger than A4, I get 'em done professionally.

I'd agree with Keith here. I pondered an A3 but unless you do a lot, it'll work out very, very expensive per print. Even if you do, do a lot it's still cheaper to get them done professionally, although I do much prefer printing them myself.

I have two printers: One Canon Pixma ip4850 loaded with genuine Canon inks and another (an old Canon) loaded with own brand inks, so when I'm not printing photos I don't waste a lot of high quality ink printing things where it doesn't matter.

I spent ages researching the 'best' printer; I never really found an answer.

Absolutely agree with Steve - One cheap wireless device for printing OS Maps, misc paperwork etc (about 90% of my needs) and a good A4 photo printer for the other 9.99%. The rest gets contracted out. I am unlikely to change from Epson as I have a large crate of ink worth who knows what at todays prices!

Last edited:
Come on now, Adrian - less than two days in, for a subject that by definition is likely to be going out to a limited knowledge base.

But Keith, one gets SO impatient in one's old age, I find! :eek!:

I'm duly chastened.

Thanks for all the comments.

I've used "Snap Mad" (on the 7dayshop site) and found them to be truly excellent, but there is nothing quite like pressing the "Print" button and being able to hold the results of your labours in your hand.

Adrian

I also use a pro lab apart from birthday cards, Christmas cards etc which i print at home on my Canon Pixma. The lab I use will print any size all not just standard sizes and there are a lot of other parameters you can choose - type of printer, dpi etc.

My Epson Stylus Photo 1290 has just died after approx. 10 reliable years.

What I really liked was the ability to print up to A3+ but was not so keen on the need I established early on to only use Epson Cartridges and paper, otherwise results were hopeless. 7dayshop are good on price but even so the black cartridge is about £18 and the (single) colour about £20.

I want to replace with an A3+ Inkjet printer and should appreciate feedback from those of you out there who do print pics, as I know many don't. I guess I'll end up with either another Epson, a Canon or HP.

Thanks in anticipation.

Adrian

I have been "into" computing since CP/M, and to be honest, having used evertything from DSUB to Laser, many people in normal life would not be able to tell the difference between a good printer with say Epson ink and "other" ink.

I buy my paper from labelheaven, 230gsm+ for A3+, all my inks are alternatives from 7 day shop, in fact the only time I ever use manufacturer ink is when I buy the printer and it comes with it.

I have my trusty knock about A4 Epson, my A3 Canon and Canon Laser, believe me I could print you an A3+ any you would never know it was not OEM ink andf paper, just buy well known alternatives from good suppliers.

Boy George, whats wrong with the printer - if its requiring a service reset for a waste ink pad full, then it could be saved.

Also, why not use Continuous ink systems, no where near the cost of buying cartridges. Plus if you use the same papers, some paper manufacturers will do a free profiling for them (ie: I use permajet papers, they did me a free profile and will do so if I use different inks/paper types)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back