• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Body (1 Viewer)

LeeCB

Hi all

I have been looking at buying a DSLR and have decided that the 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM is probably what i will get; however what Cannon body would be a good option for this. I am also open to looking at other makes at this time.

Its a purchase based around budget and as such i am looking into both second hand or new.

What would be the lowest costing body option for this that would allow all features such as AF to be used etc.

Thanks

Lee

All Canon dSLR bodies will autofocus with the lens in question.
You should be able to get a refurbished 40D for around £350. I think that is very hard to beat if you are on a budget. If you want a new body, a 550D is around the same price.

Thomas

All Canon dSLR bodies will autofocus with the lens in question.
You should be able to get a refurbished 40D for around £350. I think that is very hard to beat if you are on a budget. If you want a new body, a 550D is around the same price.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, im sure i read on one of these forums that AF only worked on the pro bodies; will have to make a couple of calls

I have a 40D that I am going to sell if you're interested.

Cheers for offer but not ready for the purchase just yet; looking inot the varying bodies

Thanks Thomas, im sure i read on one of these forums that AF only worked on the pro bodies; will have to make a couple of calls

Not true, it will AF just fine, now adding a Teleconverter into the mix would completely change that which is maybe where the confusion is creeping in. However the more sophisticated the body, ie buying from amongst the enthusiast bodies as opposed to the consumer bodies should in theory be the better option because even older bodies in this class like the 40D/50D should offer slightly faster and more accurate AF than new bodies lower down on the totem pole than they were, not to mention the improvement handling and controls that also come with being enthusiast bodies.

even older bodies in this class like the 40D/50D should offer slightly faster and more accurate AF than new bodies lower down on the totem pole than they were, not to mention the improvement handling and controls that also come with being enthusiast bodies.

Which is why I suggested a 2nd hand 40D over a new XXXD body. The 40D is BTW still my work horse camera.

Thomas

Not a bad strategy or situation to be in, i.e. to pick the lens first and then find a matching body ....

This lens will AF on all current and past dSLR bodies as it brings its own drive along. So even the little Nikons will do fine with this lens.
The "better" bodies will offer more and easier handling options, like hard buttons to change metering or AF mode opposed to menue controlled access in "simpler" bodies. Also the AF will be a bit faster and snappier with the bigger bodies (Nikonworld: D300, D7000, D90 over the rest, but the Dxxxx are also capable bodies. D80 and D40-D60 are now really dated ....)

If you can get the lens 2nd hand I would pick a matching body based on the lens. If you buy the lens new, check the handling of different bodies and go with the brand that suits you the most/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back