• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meosport 8x25 (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
According to the Meopta - optika s.r.o. Facebook page, Meopta is about to launch an 8x25 called Meosport.

Meopta - optika s.r.o said:
The new MeoSport 8x25 pocket sized binoculars offer the opportunity to view all the great things in our world while not being cumbersome or bulky to carry on your daily adventures. 100% waterproof, the MeoSport 8x25 is ideal for beginner binocular users, day-travelers or anyone interested in having A Better View of the World.

Attachments

• Namnlös.jpg
    Namnlös.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Can't find any other info anywhere. To be honest, I wouldn't expect stellar optics at that price. Hope they know what they're doing...

Cute bin. Now I have to go google convert Euros to dollars to figure out what 34.34 equates to.

;)

The question, in my mind, is going to be whether or not these are Czech bins or Chinese bins....at that price.

;)

No specs available for them and nothing on Meopta's USA site yet. The old Columbia 8 x 25 made by Kruger was in this price range when they were being discontinued and sold by CameraLand. They had a 360' FOV. Kruger's website doesn't list them anymore. They used to be part of their "Back Country" series. If the Meopta is that good it will be an excellent buy.

Bob

Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 binoculars - First Impressions

No specs available for them and nothing on Meopta's USA site yet. The old Columbia 8 x 25 made by Kruger was in this price range when they were being discontinued and sold by CameraLand. They had a 360' FOV. Kruger's website doesn't list them anymore. They used to be part of their "Back Country" series. If the Meopta is that good it will be an excellent buy.

Bob

Have just taken delivery of a pair of Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 armoured, roof
prism binoculars. My first impressions are: 1. Beautifully made and well armoured.
2. Mechanically very good - focus wheel smooth but not sloppy.
3. Lovely weight and balance - unlike some 8X25 bins which feel more like
toys. These look and feel like proper bins. Nice heft to them - they weigh just
less than 1lb, in fact 400g which is quite heavy for an 8X25.
4. Very good detail and contrast, no vignetting/colour fringe and surprisingly bright. Good eye relief/excellent screw out eye cups and firm/positive diopter adjustment.

These 8X25 bins are delightful to hold and use. The rubber armour makes them that little bit larger and more comfortable to hold. They are beautifully made - fold open/close smoothly and stay put unless you adjust them/no drift. I took a gamble with these, not being able to buy one of the flagship Meopta range. In good light you could easily leave your best bins at home
and enjoy some great viewing with these.The Meo Sport bins are well packed with an informative booklet, soft case, strap and a signed test certificate.

Where are they made? Doesn't state where on the box or bins and even the Meopta UK rep. isn't sure but feels that it's almost certain to be in the Czech
Republic. Cost? Not cheap as some have suggested they might be. I paid £120for them but consider them well worth it. A lovely pair of Leica 8X25 bins will cost you around £500 new in the UK - my dad's got a pair - they're certainly
better but not that much better, certainly not 4 times better!
By the way, I don't work for or sell Meopta products.
YouTube has a short video of the Meopta Meo Sport bins just type in the
make/model and you'll find it.

Have just taken delivery of a pair of Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 armoured, roof
prism binoculars. My first impressions are: 1. Beautifully made and well armoured.
2. Mechanically very good - focus wheel smooth but not sloppy.
3. Lovely weight and balance - unlike some 8X25 bins which feel more like
toys. These look and feel like proper bins. Nice heft to them - they weigh just
less than 1lb, in fact 400g which is quite heavy for an 8X25.
4. Very good detail and contrast, no vignetting/colour fringe and surprisingly bright. Good eye relief/excellent screw out eye cups and firm/positive diopter adjustment.

These 8X25 bins are delightful to hold and use. The rubber armour makes them that little bit larger and more comfortable to hold. They are beautifully made - fold open/close smoothly and stay put unless you adjust them/no drift. I took a gamble with these, not being able to buy one of the flagship Meopta range. In good light you could easily leave your best bins at home
and enjoy some great viewing with these.The Meo Sport bins are well packed with an informative booklet, soft case, strap and a signed test certificate.

Where are they made? Doesn't state where on the box or bins and even the Meopta UK rep. isn't sure but feels that it's almost certain to be in the Czech
Republic. Cost? Not cheap as some have suggested they might be. I paid £120for them but consider them well worth it. A lovely pair of Leica 8X25 bins will cost you around £500 new in the UK - my dad's got a pair - they're certainly
better but not that much better, certainly not 4 times better!
By the way, I don't work for or sell Meopta products.
YouTube has a short video of the Meopta Meo Sport bins just type in the
make/model and you'll find it.

Brochure on internet shows a Czech price of 999 Czech Koruna which equates to UK £34! I doubt you'll be able to buy a pair of these bins at such a price - perhaps if you live in the Czech republic. I've tried. If they do become available at that price in the future, I'm going to but another two pairs.

FOV is 6.3 degrees which is a bit narrow. At that low price it should find buyers.

Same FOV as the much more expensive Leica 8x20 Ultravid:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/348287-USA/Leica_40252_Ultravid_8x20_BCR_Compact.html#Specification

I think the Alpen Wings 8x25 ED have 6.8* FOV, but the only compact I know that has a wide FOV (i.e., 60* AFOV) is the Docter 8x21 @ 7.5* TFOV, and sharp to 90% out, according to the review on binomania.

I'm still waiting for someone on BF to buy one. I'm not a fan of compacts, but the FOV and large sweet spot in the Docter compact makes this one worth considering. It's also a lot less expensive than alphas but MIG.

Brock

... but the only compact I know that has a wide FOV (i.e., 60* AFOV) is the Docter 8x21 @ 7.5* TFOV, and sharp to 90% out, according to the review on binomania.

I'm still waiting for someone on BF to buy one. I'm not a fan of compacts, but the FOV and large sweet spot in the Docter compact makes this one worth considering. It's also a lot less expensive than alphas but MIG.

Brock

I *think* the Docter might be the same bin as the Opticron DBA 8x21 Oasis. They look very similar and share the same specifications. The Opticron is made in Japan, so if it indeed is the same bin, then Docter probably (?) "only" brands the 8x21, as opposed to actually makes them.

I own the Opticron since several years, and do like it for what is is.

B.r.
Patrik Iver

6.3 degrees is relatively narrow on an 8x binocular regardless of the brand name. Equates to an apparent field of about 50. However if the optics are as good as described they could be worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back