• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 users (1 Viewer)

That eyepiece works in the ED50. It just suffers a little vignetting/darkening at the edge.

Also, with this EP at the ED50 I saw a small crescent-shaped additional exit pupil. Apparently this doesn't bother much under most conditions of viewing.

Steve

I think it's just the vignetting. I've been using that eyepiece quite a lot on the ED50, and it works very well. The vignetting isn't really obvious in the field.

Hermann

The ED50 objective is susceptible to both dew and off axis glare and needs a longer lens hood to mitigate these problems. Look for something ~3cm in length at a camera supply store, either aluminum or collapsible rubber that screws on via the filter threads.

I use the foam plug that was in the OEM softcase that comes with the ED50. I cut it out and put a plastic zip tie as a pull loop. I keep a small carabiner on my tripod I can hang it on when observing.

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 73
I use the foam plug that was in the OEM softcase that comes with the ED50. I cut it out and put a plastic zip tie as a pull loop. I keep a small carabiner on my tripod I can hang it on when observing.

Interesting approach.
I'd cut up my softcase so the critical bits were accessible, but the front pad could be velcroed back into position for travel.
Then concluded that this was silly, this is a waterproof scope and Nikon does not build junk, so I fitted a 4cm deep rubber lens hood to the objective and junked the case. The rubber hood protects the objective lens nicely and the scope has travelled that way for a couple of years without any issues. This is a travel scope, it is pretty tough, so take advantage of the capabilities it offers.

It has been mentioned many times on the Nikon forum about
the flipdown caps from Quaker, the Bushwacker, size 7
fits perfect on the ED50.

Here is my ED50 with my custom SOC, and the Bushwacker
cover. I first mentioned the custom cover, 9-18-11, and there
is a thread there if you want to go back.

This cover is very nice and so easy to use. I like to flipdown,
and they are inexpensive.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0932.JPG
    DSCN0932.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0933.JPG
    DSCN0933.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 87
I've been putting off buying accessories for my scope because I can't decide between a lens hood and a flip cover. Anyone tried both? Glare is a problem sometimes, but the flip covers just seem so convenient.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back