• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first scope! (1 Viewer)

johnhub

Relatively newbie birder
After much research and agonising, I've now bitten the bullet and ordered a spotting scope. It's a second-hand purchase from eBay, and it should arrive in the next few days.

It's an ED IIIa, with the 30x MC WF eyepiece. It represents a massive saving over a new scope, particularly one from the 'Big Three'. As a spectacles wearer, I'm also hoping that the 30x fixed eyepiece will have lots of eye relief.

It comes with a Velbon tripod, but I'm not sure what model/type, as my knowledge of tripods is very limited. As a user of hides, would a separate hide clamp be a good purchase?

Any wisdom/tips/advice/observations greatly appreciated!

Cheers
John B :)

A hide clamp is invaluable in my opinion. It allows greater room for you to move on, and reduces the footprint you take up in the hide. For long stints, you can get comfy.

I have the Velbon Sherpa 600R, its great, cannot fault it.

As for eye relief, cannot help but im sure a Nikon'ista will be along double quick to help out.

My biggest tip? search for 'cable tie sight' in birdforum, knock one up, and turn a scope into a vital birding tool in all situations. Its changed my entire birding dynamic for 1000% the better.

A hide clamp is invaluable in my opinion. It allows greater room for you to move on, and reduces the footprint you take up in the hide. For long stints, you can get comfy.

I have the Velbon Sherpa 600R, its great, cannot fault it.

As for eye relief, cannot help but im sure a Nikon'ista will be along double quick to help out.

My biggest tip? search for 'cable tie sight' in birdforum, knock one up, and turn a scope into a vital birding tool in all situations. Its changed my entire birding dynamic for 1000% the better.

Many thanks for your advice, Ratal. I'd seen the cable tie article - will definitely do that.

Cheers
John

Disappointment. The scope arrived today - so far so good. However, when I look at the objective lens, there are some scratches and pits in the middle. Enough to be noticeable when held against the light, but maybe not when looking through the scope - I don't know, haven't had a chance to try it out in daylight. Everything else seems fine. I've told the seller (eBay), who is very apologetic and has offered me a full refund. He's also offered to give me a reduction in price if I agree.

I believe the seller to be genuine when he says it's not his area of expertise, and he was perhaps being (his words) naive in his description. My question is, how much of a reduction would be reasonable (I really like the scope), without taking advantage of him, whilst also addressing the point that he represented the scope as having no marks or dust on the optics?

Cheers
John

Disappointment. The scope arrived today - so far so good.
Is the 30x enough eye relief?
However, when I look at the objective lens, there are some scratches and pits in the middle. Enough to be noticeable when held against the light, but maybe not when looking through the scope - I don't know, haven't had a chance to try it out in daylight.

Let your eye be the guide. If its damaged enough to cause visual flaws and disturbances, send it right back full refund. If its good to go image wise, and you still like the eye relief and scope itself, well, keep it IF the damage is only very superficial and doesn't go deep into the glass.

Everything else seems fine. I've told the seller (eBay), who is very apologetic and has offered me a full refund. He's also offered to give me a reduction in price if I agree.

Cheers
John

I'd knock off 20% of the price, and if they say no, full refund.

Let your eye be the guide. If its damaged enough to cause visual flaws and disturbances, send it right back full refund. If its good to go image wise, and you still like the eye relief and scope itself, well, keep it IF the damage is only very superficial and doesn't go deep into the glass.

I'd knock off 20% of the price, and if they say no, full refund.

Thanks again Ratal, much along the lines of what I was thinking. I'll give it a good testing tomorrow.

Cheers
John

Satisfactory resolution. Tested the scope over two days - really can't see anything of the marks when I look through it. Really like it, so negotiated £150 refund from seller (represents about 28% of original price). Astounded how bright and sharp it is.

The 30x eyepiece doesn't give me too many blackouts as a spectacle wearer, and it has a nice wide FOV. Is it worth investigating other eyepieces, or should I just stick with the uncomplicated fixed one?

Cheers
John

Satisfactory resolution. Tested the scope over two days - really can't see anything of the marks when I look through it. Really like it, so negotiated £150 refund from seller (represents about 28% of original price). Astounded how bright and sharp it is.

The 30x eyepiece doesn't give me too many blackouts as a spectacle wearer, and it has a nice wide FOV. Is it worth investigating other eyepieces, or should I just stick with the uncomplicated fixed one?

Cheers
John

£150? result. :t: As for eyepiece, I'd actually stay with the 30x for a few twitches out and about because frankly unless you are into sea watching and sea watching alone, 30x wide is absolutely ample for all birding I find.

(I have a fixed 33X and a zoom for my Hawke and only use the zoom if i'm going to the coast and searching for sea ducks and divers). For the moorlands / mountains fixed wide gives better results raptor hunting.

£150? result. :t: As for eyepiece, I'd actually stay with the 30x for a few twitches out and about because frankly unless you are into sea watching and sea watching alone, 30x wide is absolutely ample for all birding I find.

(I have a fixed 33X and a zoom for my Hawke and only use the zoom if i'm going to the coast and searching for sea ducks and divers). For the moorlands / mountains fixed wide gives better results raptor hunting.

Ratal, you've been very helpful - absolute star!

No worries my good man, no worries at all. Its a mine field of 'what and how' when you begin birding, and the two best bits of advice I was ever given was 'cable tie sight and a good fixed wide eyepiece'.

The fixed nature takes away the hassle of fiddling with zoom and focus and the FOV increase means a more relaxed days watching catching more details and birds as a result.

You'll love that eyepiece. Congrats on the new purchase.

All the best,
Mike Freiberg
Nikon

Thanks Mike. Update to all this: whilst the damage to the lens wasn't visible when viewing, aesthetically speaking, it was bothering me. I got Nikon UK to replace it, as well as the ocular element. Cost £305 - a lot, but worth it to me. The result is I've got a scope that's been serviced and repaired by Nikon and appears and feels practically new.

I'm loving the view with the 30x eyepiece, and was wondering whether or not I should get some other eyepieces to complement it? As a spectacles wearer I'm put off by the short eye relief of the 20x to 60x zoom, but would another fixed EP be a good idea? I believe there's a 40x fixed - does anyone have any experience of that? Would the lower-powered 24x be a good choice with its (presumably) wider FOV?

All wisdom gratefully received.

Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back