• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hey guys, im new to here. i got a leica trinovid 8x42 BN (1 Viewer)

hi guys,

i was lucky to find a brand new leica BN 8x42 from my local dealer. its in green color, and looks amazing. i got a bit bargain with the price, basically pretty happy with the binoculars, especially the sharpness.

i got a question, what does " CA " ans "SA" stands for ? i saw you guys talked alot about these parameters .

Attachments

• AY8J1244.jpg
    AY8J1244.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 324
  • AY8J1236.JPG
    AY8J1236.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 206
  • AY8J1239.jpg
    AY8J1239.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 258
  • AY8J1242.jpg
    AY8J1242.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 343
  • AY8J1248.jpg
    AY8J1248.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 262
Hi Pippen,

Congratulations on your fine new binocular! It is an excellent very rugged all purpose binocular and it should last you for a long time. Many are still in use all over the world.:t: I still use my 7x42 Trinovid BN.

The Leica Trinovid BN series was phased out in 2007 and replaced with the current Ultravid Series which is lighter in weight.

CA is the abbreviation for Chromatic Aberration.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=chromatic+aberration

Binocular lenses have coatings on them and use special glass to minimize it.

Bob

Last edited:
Congratulations.......your BN looks sweeeeet. Still have my 8X42 BN (my first bin) and a red 8X32 BN that I use every day. Enjoy your Leicas.

Welcome to BF,
TrinoBN is very nice bin, and this green is simply the nicest. I had black one, and really like the focussing system of Leicas. TrinoBN is very rugged, durable built like tank, and the one I had provides pinpoint star images near axis, with sweetspot of 85%, truly remarkable. I bought mine also as demo for fair price.
I had hard time to sell it when needed money for upgrading...

congrats on your new bin
I have been using this bin in the nineties and appeared a very reliable and sturdy instrument

Woo-hoo! There are a few things about those Trinnies to complain of compared to newer models (could be brighter, a smidgen of CA, bricklike), and things to rejoice (eveything else). The Classic Roof Binocular that set a pace which in many ways is still copied. Frog green even, outasight. My BN is the mighty 12x50.

Ron

Congratulations.......your BN looks sweeeeet. Still have my 8X42 BN (my first bin) and a red 8X32 BN that I use every day. Enjoy your Leicas.

Whoa Caruh!

Weren't those red Trinnies only used as loan bins for you to try them out?
Shouldn't you have sent them back about 15 years ago??? :king: :king: :eek!:

Lee

hi guys,

i was lucky to find a brand new leica BN 8x42 from my local dealer. its in green color, and looks amazing. i got a bit bargain with the price, basically pretty happy with the binoculars, especially the sharpness.

i got a question, what does " CA " ans "SA" stands for ? i saw you guys talked alot about these parameters .

Pippen,

Congratulations! you Lucky Snoop Dogg. I always wanted a green BN, but in the 7x42 configuration. It looks new. Previously owned by a little old lady from Beijing, apparently.

As to what CA means, the best person to ask is Bob, he has never seen it, but he's read a lot about it. ;)

It depends on how sensitive you are to chromatic aberration on whether or not it will bother you. Leica added "HD" glass (low dispersion glass) to its second generation Ultravid, but depending on who you talk to, it did or didn't make a difference in controlling CA. Not sure why this was so, because the ED bins that I've tried or owned handled CA very well.

It's best to NOT purposely look for chromatic aberration. If it's bad enough, it will find you. But if you go looking for it, you might become fixated on it and not be able to tune it out. That was Steve Ingraham's advice from Better View Desired, and I wish I had taken it!

As I'm sure Henry expounded on above, SA stands for spherical aberration. Try out a Zeiss 54mm HT to see what that look like. Haven't heard any reports of SA being a problem with the BN series.

The funny thing about your post is that somebody recently wrote that people from China really like Leica optics and cameras, and here a few days later, you show up and prove the case!

It's not that Americans don't like Leica products (though some have issues with the company's customer service and some with repairs), but at least on these forums, the perpetual dueling seems to be between Swarovski and Zeiss fans.

Perhaps when Leica finally comes out with a new model, it will catch the attention of the forums, which thrives on the "latest and greatest." Me, I like the classics, mostly Porros, but I'm also curious about not-so-old roofs such as the BN.

Enjoy!

Brock

Very nice find! Did you buy it in China?

The "colored" Trinovids are a class for itself. From the collectors point of view. And for the user who likes to have something special.

There werde blue, black, green, red and yellow ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back