• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAW processing favour ? (1 Viewer)

BackGardenMoths

HI, Ive been busy practicing processing my raw images from my Canon 7D and 100-400mm lens with some pleasing results ( I think ). I'm working on the techniques, but have nothing to compare against what it could look like from a more experienced hand. I know its probably a lot to ask but is there anyone on here who wouldn't mind processing one of my raw images for me so I can directly compare. I can then determine whether I need to work on better technique at the camera or whether it's my post processing.

I hope someone might be willing to help, which would be great.

Thanks

Simon

something that could help is to shoot raw and jpeg ,you can set the jpeg to a picture style that you like then try and match your raw to it this could give a good ider of which way to go when you process your raw.
Rob.

I also sent him a PM with sendit linked, and never heard back

Perhaps he no longer needs help, or has lost PC access

Simon was posting on 5 June and some folk have put quite a lot of effort into helping him. So if we're done, it'd be nice to know.

Last edited:
Since you folks offered to show your post processing ideas to someone and they didn't respond might you like to try it with me?

I do about 99% of my editing in Lightroom and would love to see what others might do. I could post a raw file from a 7D on yousendit and post it here.

Thanks
Doug

Doug,

When you email Keith, you have to tell him the final purpose for your image and your intended output/viewing source. Post production is the final act in an opera, that immensely differs from one to another. He will go through it in fine detail.

Actually, I'd assumed that I'd just be posting up a (say) 1000 px longest-side image with some observations about how I'd arrived there: that's the obvious "common denominator" end result, I think.

Thanks guys.

Here's a shot that is decent not great but not bad either. I think it has the raw components to be nice but I would have preferred to have been closer so I would have the option of a larger print like 16 x 20 inches or so. As it is I would use it for online viewing and possibly a smaller print like 8 x 10 or so.

Attached are the original photo with Lightroom defaults and my adjusted version. You'll notice I made a large crop. I usually like to see the subject be large in the image.

Here's a link to the 25mb file that you should be able to download.
http://www.mediafire.com/?gw1j3jfwu88gtka

Photo was taken with Canon 7D 500mm f4 with 1.4ext at f5.6 1/1600 and iso 800 handheld about 45 minutes after sunrise. Obviously I could have used iso 400 but I was just coming from a darker area when I had this opportunity and didn't adjust iso.

I apreciate all coments and feedback and would love to see how other approach it.

Thanks again.
Doug

p.s. For reference here is a link to some of my other bird photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlebirdman/sets/72157624818491253/

Attachments

• eagle-full.jpg
    eagle-full.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 81
  • eagle-adjust.jpg
    eagle-adjust.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I think you've done a great job PPing from a great shot Doug. The lovely warm lighting has gone in your favour. I love this Raptor shot

The only thing i have changed ( apart from processing in ACR and not Lightroom ) is the crop and cloning out the 2nd pole.

I feel birds, and some may even agree ..should be looking into some space when they are in profile, to stop that ' cramped ' feel when their faces are almost up against the side of the frame.
I cloned out the 2nd pole to take some distraction away from that magnificent Eagle.

But thats it - I think you have done a better job than i have,... there is little wrong with your photo or your PP work that i can see, ( from a personal point of view anyway - the 2nd pole and the style of crop )

Attachments

• untitled-908.jpg
    untitled-908.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Here's the correct photo - i did several to give variations, then decided which i wanted and mistakenly
uploaded one i'd discarded :-O

Attachments

• untitled-908.jpg
    untitled-908.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 82
I think that the bird is too small in the frame to make a heavy crop worthwhile - there's only so much you can do, even with 18 mp - so I've gone for a more open composition.

I actually converted this in Cap One 6 rather than Lr 3 - just to see - and applied selective NR and sharpening on layers in CS4 (NR being with Topaz DeNoise).

I also cloned out the other post.

Attachments

• doug_1.jpg
    doug_1.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 104
Slightly different. Agreed, not enough data for a big print but maybe 10x8in.

Exposure cut, highlight/shadow, vertical straightened, peg and cobweb cut, noise ninja'd, auto color. Not sure why you set +0.3EV?

Wish our local eagle would sit out in the open.

Attachments

• be.jpg
    be.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
Musoman, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you that I did not leave enough room where the eagle was looking. I think I hesitate because of the second post. I had a go in Lightroom and it was easy to remove. sometimes I have difficulty using the close tool in Lightroom. I suspect I could do a lot more in Photoshop if I took the time to learn that. Here is my update crop.

Keith, thanks for your effort on this. I think the selective noise and sharpening worked very well. It is something I need to get more proficient at because I can certainly see the benefits of. One thing I was trying to do with this photo is to recreate it as I saw it with more of an early morning glow. I did overexpose it a bit. I usually try to expose to the right. I'd say I would have been better exposing this with either 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop of light. I did have a few blinkies that I didn't want.

JPAC, thanks for giving it a go on this. You made an interesting choice to show more of the post. Regarding the +.3EV and not sure why that would show up. This was shot in manual mode so it should not be a factor.

Thanks again guys.
Doug

Attachments

• eagle-space.jpg
    eagle-space.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back