• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 Monovid (1 Viewer)

Did it take you awhile to get used to viewing through the monocular, or is it pretty natural to use?

It did not take long to get used to it at all, but it is very different than a bino, the hold is different, and you are getting a view that feels different.

I changed my mind on the Monovid, got another pair of Nikon 8x20 Premiers that were not out of collimation but noticeably less sharp than the mis-aligned sample. So after returning those I figured, why not give the monocular a fair chance?

Well it arrived yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I followed "jaymoynihan's" advice on using a palm grip rather than fingertips, and it really was at least as steady as my 8x32 Nikon SEs. But really, the fingertip grip wasn't that unstable for me, and I might opt for that when searching for a moving object (by the way I don't find it difficult to find moving objects). I anticipated that the view through the monocular would be less comfortable than a binocular; certainly it feels a lot different, but I didn't mind just watching birds through one eye. I have spent a lot of time looking through telescopes though, so maybe this was less of an adjustment for me than other people might find. I tended to keep both eyes open while looking through it; if one does this the feeling of "tunnel vision" decreases as does eye strain.

The focusing mechanism works better than I'd anticipated--it is stiff enough that focus isn't accidentally changed, but buttery smooth when you engage it. This makes it easy to reach focus without overfocusing. I did find it sort of difficult to focus while using the palm grip; a fingertip grip would be the better choice there.

And as one would expect, the optics don't disappoint. Most of the field is extremely sharp, and it seems that the only aberration present is field curvature, which becomes noticeable maybe 60% from the center and doesn't really affect resolution until about 80%. I switched between the Monovid and the SEs several times to compare resolution and contrast; if there was an improvement in resolution with the SEs, it was minimal. The case is a lot larger than I'd anticipated, so I still won't be able to fit the monocular and case inside any reasonably-sized pocket. But I don't mind the thing sitting on a belt; it's too light to be noticeable.

The bottom line is that I'm really pleased with this thing, and feel that it is a useful addition to my optical collection. I don't have to make a tough decision on whether to bring my binoculars along on walks that aren't primarily for birding--I really feel that I will be able to make at least 90% of the bird IDs with the monocular that I could with the SEs.

Wholeheartedly recommended for anyone in the market for a compact optic.

..I have spent a lot of time looking through telescopes though, so maybe this was less of an adjustment for me than other people might find...

Glad you enjoy it. Re the above, same here, and mono microscopes at times, so perhaps that makes it easier.
Re focusing; after using it alot on a couple recent trips, I have started to focus by holding the focusing ring and turning the body, and not palming it. That works very well for me now.

Glad you enjoy it.

Yes, thanks for all the information. I have the feeling this will be one well-used optic. A final question though: how do you store the Monovid in your pocket? I assume it's just in there without the case? I'm reluctant to do this because I fear it will pick up lint and grime (plus no protective cap for the objective), but if you've had a good experience I'm willing to try it. Maybe the coatings on the lenses are tougher than I thought.

... how do you store the Monovid in your pocket? I assume it's just in there without the case?

I tend to have a breast pocket in what i have on (t-shirt, sport coat, shirt, jacket, etc.). I just put it in there, occular side up,capped. I do not know if that "works", but that is what I do. I have found that what I have to watch out for is not re pockets, rather when it just is hanging around my neck. Easy to forget its there. Bend over or whatever and it swings against something. The puppy seems very durable though.

I don't have the Monovid but I have the Ultravid 8x20. I found a couple medicine bottle caps that fit the objective end just right. A little trial and error, but once you find one you can carry it without a case but safely capped. If the Monovid is like the UV, the objective is not recessed very far and I would hesitate to carry it without some kind of protection.

Hi,have been a long time lurker,albeit I'm not a twitcher.
I bought a Monovid after reading the posts here.Specifically for taking on bike rides so that I could stop and check out the views,look at passing balloons and aircraft etc.Generally adding another dimension to rural rides.
It has been absolutely superb.
I nearly went for the Ultravid 8x20 but it was still a tad heavy and bulky,especially when in a case.So the Monovid encased in a little pouch was perfect for my needs.
I thought long and hard before buying but once it arrived knew I had made the right decision.The leather case,which I use for home storage or belt attachment when on country walks, is so well made and smells incredible!
Despite the love affair I am just about to advertise it as priorities change [need to raise funds for a Leica camera]
Will post in the classifieds but thought I would mention it here.
Condition is like knew [always in a pouch or the leather case] boxed and complete.
Selling for £250 firm. I'm sure I'll regret selling it...
Pics available.

I'm not too far from Pulborough Brooks so happy to meet/collect in person if you are local.

I don't seem to have permission to post an ad in the classified but in the meantime here is the Monovid.
Please PM if you are interested.

L1010681.jpg

L1010679.jpg

I use a Zeiss 6x18 T* for very close focus work. Its great for looking into rock pools by the sea or freshwater pools, while prone on the ground - its like being under water.

I used to use it a lot for looking at nearby perched dragonflies and butterflies but my FLs do that job so much better.

However I wouldn't consider going out on a natural history walk without my Zeiss monoc and a high quality triplet handlens (loup).

Lee

Being a Biologist-Botanist, I was lurking for something even smaller than my Ultravid 10X25 and finally decided to give this small baby a try.
Pros: Compact, Lightweight, Easy to use, good optics.
Cons: Lens cap missing, No Neck cord includes, Price.
Of course, the view is Not as comfortable as it is with a Binocular: less details can be seen and focusing seems harder not being stereoscopic. It need an adaptation to getuse to it. Optic quality is great. Was also able to use it as a 8X doubler on my Duovid: I think a special made adapter would make it usable ! I do not like the pouch and will try to find a Buttler Creek Lens cap ti fits on the lens so that I can leave it outside the case without damaging the front lens. I will also try to find a cordura pouch and give it a try as leather and bad weather do not go along very well, remember, I do work outside a lot, sometimes in adverse conditions.... The close focus lens alloud me to oberve mosses and lichens details without having to put is close to my nose like with a hand lens. That will be my always with me optic and will leave it in my backpack, ATV or glovebox whenever I will be out of home.
Lapprentis

Last edited:
! I do not like the pouch and will try to find a Buttler Creek Lens cap ti fits on the lens so that I can leave it outside the case without damaging the front lens.

Great idea, i will do the same.

That will be my always with me optic and will leave it in my backpack, ATV or glovebox whenever I will be out of home.

Indeed. That is where mine always is, with me.;)

I use a Zeiss 6x18 close focus monoc for looking at stuff under water. Its the stuff thats under water not me.

So in rock pools by the sea you can get great views of sea anemones, crabs, fish and all sorts of beasts.

In fresh water there are adult and larval insects, fish, amphibians.

Most of these I look at prone and on my elbows looking straight down the water column. Try it!

Lee

My Final Setup

Ok, I decided to complete and adapt my Monovid setup and bought a Maxpedition pouch to replace the included Leather pouch: As a Biologist, I can sometime work in adverse condition and the Leather pouch would lost its apealing rapidly....I also bought a Butler Creek 02A to protect the objective side of the Monovid: Leica do not provive such a device.......:( This end cap alloud you to keep the Monovid bare in the bottom of a pocket without worrying about scratching the objective len. It fits perfecly ! You can take it off and add the extra magnifying lens then put it on again. This protective cap also blocked some direct sulight as it add about 5-6 more milimeters to the existing tube extension.
o:)

Attachments

• P4070002.jpg
    P4070002.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 753
  • P4070003.jpg
    P4070003.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 878
Ok, I decided to complete and adapt my Monovid setup and bought a Maxpedition pouch to replace the included Leather pouch: As a Biologist, I can sometime work in adverse condition and the Leather pouch would lost its apealing rapidly....I also bought a Butler Creek 02A to protect the objective side of the Monovid: Leica do not provive such a device.......:( This end cap alloud you to keep the Monovid bare in the bottom of a pocket without worrying about scratching the objective len. It fits perfecly ! You can take it off and add the extra magnifying lens then put it on again. This protective cap also blocked some direct sulight as it add about 5-6 more milimeters to the existing tube extension.
o:)

Very informative. Just ordered that Butler Creek device.

For some time, I considered the Monovid as an effective substitute to Ultravid 8x20. I had the pleasure of field testing them side-by-side with the help of Leica representative a year or so ago. I do not think that I need to comment on their optical performance, but unlike with the Ultravid, and surprisingly, I could not hold the Monovid steady at all. The representative highlighted that this is not an uncommon comment when some test the Monovid. I stayed with the Ultravid, and till now, no regrets (it sees most use among the binoculars I own).

The Monovid, however, has a great size advantage--a characteristic that the Ultravid with its bulky cordura case could not provide. Some of this bulk was reduced with replacing the cordura case with the older Leica leather case for the Trinovid 8x20 (model 42 198). It fits perfectly. Enjoy in good health.

There is a very simple technique to avoid shake with the Monovid:
Wrap one hand around the Monovid, place the eyepiece to your eye, with your hand resting around and in contact with your eye socket. Similar effect to using a monopod with a camera.
Result = no shake.

I still have my Monovid, but have decided to sell it to fund other kit.
If anyone is interested just drop me a PM - I am in the UK [down south]

I just acquired my Leica 8x20 Mono and really impressed. Bins are great if you have them with you, but, not so much if they aren't. I plan to carry this little jewel with me everywhere. So many times as my wife and I are cruising we spot something we would have loved to have had a better view. Bald eagles, Wild turkeys, etc. How about those historical markers you have to stop and get out of the vehicle to read. Not anymore.

Yeah nice thread. I didn't see this one when I joined BF. I bought my Monovid last year and took it with me almost every day to work. The leather case is very nice but wasn't very functional for me. When it's on my belt, I can't flip it open enough to get it to "pop" up as it's supposed to.

I like the Butler Creek idea pretty nifty. I just got used to carrying in the front pants pocket. The trick was just making sure I never put anything else in there to knick it up. :)

Incredible optics in this lightweight wonder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back