• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Sigma have announced an updated 120-300/2.8 OS. I see this one has a focus limiter.
I know after the initial hype things went quite on the original 120-300/2.8 OS has it been having problems???

Announcing a replacement model so quickly does seeto suggest issues with the previous one. I know personally of three people who have had problems with this lens and have seen a fair few drift through secondhand listings (in the same time I have only seen on mkII can 300 offered secondhand). Interesting that it states that it has a switch to adjust focus speed too which could be a useful feature. If it launches at £2k again then the value of the current model could dip a fair bit. Also good to see that the new version has a metal lens hood, the hood on the current one always looked a bit fragile.

Anyone seen when stock are expected? I have missed my Canon 300/2.8 IS and am seriously contemplating getting a Canon 300/2.8 IS MkII - if the new Sigma was going to come sometime soon I guess it would make sense and wait a while (could save myself £3k lol).

A trusted commentator on another forum said "I have seen reports that the current version of the 120-300mm OS suffers from "focus breathing" - its effective focal length reduces at closer focus distance - but towards infinity the marked focal length is as accurate as most other lenses. Focus breathing is not unique to this lens - many lenses do it and the 70-200mm VR II Nikkor probably does it to an even greater extent. I never worry about that, and I wouldn't worry about the Sigma either".

I know a few current Sigma 120-300mm OS users who fully concur with this opinion.

Richard

A trusted commentator on another forum said "I have seen reports that the current version of the 120-300mm OS suffers from "focus breathing" - its effective focal length reduces at closer focus distance - but towards infinity the marked focal length is as accurate as most other lenses. Focus breathing is not unique to this lens - many lenses do it and the 70-200mm VR II Nikkor probably does it to an even greater extent. I never worry about that, and I wouldn't worry about the Sigma either".

I know a few current Sigma 120-300mm OS users who fully concur with this opinion.

Richard
This applies to all telephoto zooms Richard, Canon, Nikon and Sigma, its to due with the way zoom lenses are constructed (not sure of the technicalities).
I have seen examples of the Canon 100-400 at 400mm v Canon 400/5.6 prime shot from the same spot at the same target where the zoom is certainly not a true 400mm (at around 15 ft the zoom is reckoned to be around 375mm at best). I have also seen examples of the Sigma 50-500 at the long end from around 15 ft and it was barely longer than the bare 400/5.6 (estimate was around 420mm). Most of these zoom lenses at their MFD and full zoom are a very long way off the stated focal length. It must also be remembered that these stated focal lengths have a fairly large tolerance anyway (some are +/- 10%).
BTW, welcome to BirdForum

Last edited:
This applies to all telephoto zooms Richard, Canon, Nikon and Sigma, its to due with the way zoom lenses are constructed (not sure of the technicalities).
I have seen examples of the Canon 100-400 at 400mm v Canon 400/5.6 prime shot from the same spot at the same target where the zoom is certainly not a true 400mm (at around 15 ft the zoom is reckoned to be around 375mm at best). I have also seen examples of the Sigma 50-500 at the long end from around 15 ft and it was barely longer than the bare 400/5.6 (estimate was around 420mm). Most of these zoom lenses at their MFD and full zoom are a very long way off the stated focal length. It must also be remembered that these stated focal lengths have a fairly large tolerance anyway (some are +/- 10%).
BTW, welcome to BirdForum
Yes, I agree, but this was in the context of a question asked if the current version is a "lesser" lens. As "postcardcv" said "Announcing a replacement model so quickly does seeto suggest issues with the previous one". As you say and I concur as the "breathing issue" applies to many telephoto lenses both 3rd party and original manufacturers, this should not be seen as a problem on the current lens. Why they have chosen to upgrade the current lens is still a mystery to me.

Richard

Yes, I agree, but this was in the context of a question asked if the current version is a "lesser" lens. As "postcardcv" said "Announcing a replacement model so quickly does seeto suggest issues with the previous one". As you say and I concur as the "breathing issue" applies to many telephoto lenses both 3rd party and original manufacturers, this should not be seen as a problem on the current lens. Why they have chosen to upgrade the current lens is still a mystery to me.

Richard
Judging by the number of current 120-300/2.8 OS used lenses for sale and many reports of problems with the OS system failing together with focus issues reported and also criticism that there was no focus limiter I reckon Sigma decided to start again with this lens. I am fairly confident that "breathing issue" as you describe it has not got anything to do with it whatsoever as that is common with all telephoto zooms and is expected. The lens has got a fairly bad name for itself so lets hope the new version has ironed out all the problems.

Judging by the number of current 120-300/2.8 OS used lenses for sale and many reports of problems with the OS system failing together with focus issues reported and also criticism that there was no focus limiter I reckon Sigma decided to start again with this lens. I am fairly confident that "breathing issue" as you describe it has not got anything to do with it whatsoever as that is common with all telephoto zooms and is expected. The lens has got a fairly bad name for itself so lets hope the new version has ironed out all the problems.
Seems strange though, as I believed the non OS was a successful lens. Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering! I must admit the 50-500 OS works very well on my Nikon D800.

Seems strange though, as I believed the non OS was a successful lens. Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering! I must admit the 50-500 OS works very well on my Nikon D800.

Indeed the non-OS was a popular lens but seemed very variable in quality. I had one which was pretty good (not as good as a Canon 300 though) but ended up selling it to find other gear. I the looked to get another but the one I tried was shocking, it wasn't usable sharp until about f5.6. Got it check at a Sigma repair centre and it couldn't be calibrated to be any better, was just a poor copy. It really put me off the lens, though given the current low price that these go for they could be real bargains.

The original/current OS lens is optically much better than the non-OS from what I have seen in limited testing of one in a shop. However I have also heard of the OS unit packing up on this lens which did put me off it. If they have sorted this issue with the new version it could be a cracker.

Indeed the non-OS was a popular lens but seemed very variable in quality. I had one which was pretty good (not as good as a Canon 300 though) but ended up selling it to find other gear. I the looked to get another but the one I tried was shocking, it wasn't usable sharp until about f5.6. Got it check at a Sigma repair centre and it couldn't be calibrated to be any better, was just a poor copy. It really put me off the lens, though given the current low price that these go for they could be real bargains.

The original/current OS lens is optically much better than the non-OS from what I have seen in limited testing of one in a shop. However I have also heard of the OS unit packing up on this lens which did put me off it. If they have sorted this issue with the new version it could be a cracker.

Thanks, all useful information. I am lucky to have a Nikon 300mm f4 and a 70-200 f2.8 + TC's. I find the 50-500mm os once tamed gives superb results.

Some of my wildlife results can be seen on my website using various lenses.

Richard

I believe Sigma offers a 3 yr warranty with their lenses - just as well if there are problems. Perhaps I'll hold off buying the 12-300 and see how the new 'sport' model holds up.

I believe Sigma offers a 3 yr warranty with their lenses - just as well if there are problems. Perhaps I'll hold off buying the 12-300 and see how the new 'sport' model holds up.

The three year warranty is a good thing (I think othe lens manufacturers should do the same) and makes the UK models as sensible buy (imports don't have this and I have heard of Sigma refusing to repair grey import lenses). It is also worth knowing te the warranty is not transferable so you do need to get a good deal on a used lens to make it worth buying.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back