• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon America website now lists 71 Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Matter of fact, they show as discontinued. But hasn't that happened before and then they make up a batch?

Don't we go through this every year? Was this year more drastic?

I think they are probably discontinued because this is the first time they have completely omitted them from their website. About 8 months ago Nikon's excellent IF porros were deleted from their website which was probably a portent of things to come with their premium center focus porros as well.

I know many have "cried wolf" in the past regarding the SE's demise but considering the premium IF porros as well as the EII's have recently been discontinued I suspect this time the SEs may have been axed as well. To my knowledge it's the first time the SEs have been deleted from the Nikon website although one might be able to special order one on an individual basis as is the case with Nikon's 20x120.

Steve

"Rumors of Our Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated." - Nikon SE and EII.

One thing I've learned over the years is that you can't trust Nikon's Website. I remember asking them if they had discontinued their 18x70 Astroluxe since it was not listed on the Website along with the 7x50 Prostar and 10x70 Astroluxe, and I got a reply, saying that they still made it; they had rearranged the Website and forgot to add it.

Not sure if this is the same with the SE or because it's a special order item. Nikon just came out with a 551xxx 8x32 SE, which is newer than my 550xxx and that's fairly new, so that strongly suggests that the SE is still being produced.

The EIIs are still being made, I bought a black body model a few months ago that came from a Hong Kong store. For some unfathomable reason, the EIIs are no longer sold in the U.S., only in Asia and Europe.

<B>

......Nikon just came out with a 551xxx 8x32 SE, which is newer than my 550xxx and that's fairly new, so that strongly suggests that the SE is still being produced.

<B>

If you are saying the 551xxx series is different than the 550xxx series of the 8X32 SE, I don't think so. Based on serial number postings from other members, Nikon reached the limit of numbers available in the 550xxx range (550999 + 1 = 551000) that's all. Also, there has been no reported change is the numbering for the 10X and 12X series to indicate a series change. That is because those two powers in the line have not reached the limit in their available serial numbers.

Bruce:

You are correct, and Brock did not say there have been any recent changes.

Do the math, after 550999, comes 551001.

From my calculations, Nikon has been selling around 500 of the Nikon SE 8x32's
per year, and this one is the sales leader of the SE's. This is simple for the expert craftsman at Nikon, they may have a stockpile of parts for several years ahead.

They just put the best assemblers on the SE line, as there is not room for error,
and they just spend a week or 2 each year, and put out one of the best binoculars
that are available on the market today.

Jerry

Yes, this thread should be moved to the Nikon "Binocular" subforum.

Thanks

Agreed: (Since I started them both.) I put this particular thread into the general binoculars forum where we look for the bargains and such. Then I tried to delete it to start a new one in the Nikon Forum but I was unable to delete it. Then I opened a new one in the Nikon Forum which has only 3 comments.

Later this particular thread was moved, it seems, to the forum for scopes as is noted there but if you click on it now in the general forum, as I type this, you can still open it there even though it says it has been moved.

So right now, as I type this it is in 3 places.

I hope the administrators can fix it and put it into the Nikon Forum after deleting the one that is there now in addition to deleting the one the scope forum.

I know this sounds inscrutable but it's the best I can do.:scribe::scribe:

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back