• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope ED50 or Vortex Razor 50 opinions? (1 Viewer)

curvecrazy

Looking for experiences and opinions on Fieldscope ED50 and Vortex Razor 50 HD. Ideally would like to hear from someone having first hand experience with both! Which do you think is better?

Wondering how the FOV compares. Does the dual focus work better on the Razor? Will the lack of fixed eyepieces on the Razor be a detriment?

I've got an ED50A I've been playing around with here. It's a cool little scope for sure. I also have the FS3ED and part of the appeal of owning the two was to be able to switch/interchange fixed eyepieces. So I have the 24XDS and 30XWA [ FS3 ], which on the ED50 give 16X and 20X. Both seem very nice on the ED50.

I have some disappointments with the ED50. First, its angled without a pivot clamp option like larger angled scopes. Makes using it on a car window mount difficult unless you buy a rotational head or make an L bracket. Second, the focus seems somewhat stiff and it lacks a fine focus function like other current scopes. Kind of aggravating to me in actual use. I find myself having to grab the knob with index and thumb to get an exact focus which is not easy like using a dual focus mechanism. Basically strikes me as an engineering oversight in this day and age. Third, there is no sun /weather shade. Another basic these days. There also seems to be limited FOV with the zoom. Especially at zoom. It is bright at 13X. And it seems to provide a clear image. It's light. The case is pretty crappy and you have to take it out of the case to use it. Not well thought out. So this seems a great scope that is missing some fineness.

The Razor is the same in various respects like no angle clamp. No fixed lenses. Heavier. But wider FOV. Supposedly just as clear, brighter, and with a better case.

Looking for opinions, experiences, pros and cons....

Last edited:
curve,

the FOV's of the Nikon and Vortex zooms are actually very close. Remember that the Razor has slightly less magnification, which should yield a greater FOV than the Nikon counterpart.
But if you zoom in the Razor to 13x like the Nikon's lowest setting, their FOV's should be very close.
And if you zoom out the MCII from 40x to 33x, you will also have a wider FOV now comparable to the Razor.

If I liked zooms I might have considered the Razor as a backup. The ED50A is wonderful with the fixed eyepieces. I don't personally find the lack of dual-speed focus a problem and often grab the knob with thumb and index finger.
The lack of sun shade is not all that difficult to address, just get a 55 mm snap-on lens hood.

I'll get back with the AFOV calculations.

//L

Edit: the Opticron GS52 and the MM3 ED might be what you're after.

Last edited:
curve,

the FOV's of the Nikon and Vortex zooms are actually very close. Remember that the Razor has slightly less magnification, which should yield a greater FOV than the Nikon counterpart.
But if you zoom in the Razor to 13x like the Nikon's lowest setting, their FOV's should be very close.
And if you zoom out the MCII from 40x to 33x, you will also have a wider FOV now comparable to the Razor.

If I liked zooms I might have considered the Razor as a backup. The ED50A is wonderful with the fixed eyepieces. I don't personally find the lack of dual-speed focus a problem and often grab the knob with thumb and index finger.
The lack of sun shade is not all that difficult to address, just get a 55 mm snap-on lens hood.

I'll get back with the AFOV calculations.

//L

Edit: the Opticron GS52 and the MM3 ED might be what you're after.

That opticron looks pretty sweet but I read the optics don't compare I think? Or no? I haven't looked in awhile. fwiw It has the twistup eyecup, the pivot but not the sun/weather shade it looks like. Fixed eyepieces. Hmmmm.

Why the discrepencies?

LS:

If I'm getting what you're saying the FSED50 would then have a 185 FOV at comparable 11X? vs the Razors 191ft? Comparing apples and apples?

Last edited:
I need to do some research on that GS52. Thanks LS for pointing it out. It has the twist eyecup. The pivot. Fixed lens available. The only real plus I see to the Razor, at this point, is the dual focus and possibly a better case setup than the Nikon, frankly. And possibly better optics than GS52.

I suppose these small scopes are build to a weight and size spec too and the manufacturers could argue... "Heh, we're trying to make it light!". I'd have to reply that argument falls flat. Twist up cup, pivot, shade, better case weigh what? I would say less than 5 more ounces. Most likely much less than 5 ounces.

LS:

If I'm getting what you're saying the FSED50 would then have a 185 FOV at comparable 11X? vs the Razors 191ft? Comparing apples and apples?

Yes, it's no wonder the Razor has a wider FOV at lowest zoom since it's only 11x. Granted, the Nikon cannot reach 11x, so I'm comparing them by extrapolating the AFOV's instead. It is an educated guesstimation that the Razor's FOV at 13x is only very little wider than the Nikon's, and that neither is anything to write home about.

Any decent 10x binocular has at least 315' FOV. Recalculated to 11x, that would be 286' - a hundred ft more than the Razor's zoom.

I suggest you go with the Opticron or maybe a straight ED50A, now that you have already experienced how enticing the fixed Wide ep's are.
The Nikon 27x Wides have a FOV that's only marginally narrower than the zoom's at 13x! I can use the 27x50 almost like I use a binocular since it is so easy to get the bird inside the FOV.
With the zoom, I have to zoom out to 13 to find it and zoom in again to see it in the desired size. I'm wondering, why? Fixed eyepieces is the way to go!

//L

I agree with you on the fixed eyepieces. Definitely. Unfortunately, the gf is all about using the zooms no matter which size scope. She wants to be able to motor right in on whatever she's looking at. Heck, I'm happy with mid power fixed and the doubler idea you turned me on to. Works a charm.

I think the Opticron 52 w/ upgraded zoom EP (SDLv2) is just what you are looking for, rotating collar, very nice focus. I have it and ED 50, and prefer the Opticron when weight is not an issue.

I think the Opticron 52 w/ upgraded zoom EP (SDLv2) is just what you are looking for, rotating collar, very nice focus. I have it and ED 50, and prefer the Opticron when weight is not an issue.

The opticron sounds interesting to me. I certainly looks better thought out. Can you post more of your impressions? Do you have the 16XDS or 20XWA for your ED50 or just the zoom? How do the optical qualities compare? I read the opticron wasn't on par with the ED50. But you have to be careful what you believe on the internet and that poster may have had a bone to pick.

I admit my limited experience with the dual focus setup leaves me wanting it. It minimizes the fuss of getting exact focus IME. And that is really the main attractive feature of the Razor to me.

I had considered buying an ED50 myself but had not done so. Then I got this as a gift from my gf. I had been researching the fieldscopes and had been telling her about it. Telling her how great everyone was saying it was for its size and weight!

I have to admit I really don't have a problem with the carry weight of the FS3ED I have and it has better resolution so the whole concept of a 50mm scope may be faulty as it pertains to me. I certainly have problems making compromises I should not have to with a 50mm scope. I know that to save weight I would have to compromise on resolution but I wouldn't think I would have to compromise on function.

For the ED50 I have the following WA EPs--16, 20, 27. Had and sold the 40. Also have the good zoom 13-40 w/ twist eyecup. For my straight scope mounted on shoulder pod I mainly use 16x. For the angled scope I use either 20x or 13-40 zoom if I need more power. I don't enjoy the 27x as I find it difficult to get on target. I, as does your gf, like using zoom at low power to get on the bird, or just for scanning, and then zoom in to higher power. I really like the view provided by the 20x, but sometimes want more power.

In higher power (over 30) in my experience, and that of most of the reviewers, the ED50 has better resolution than the Opticron. But I don't think the difference is enough to overcome some of the advantages of the Opticron such as a much better zoom EP, a much sturdier foot, generally over all more robust construction, better availability of EPs, much greater ER. The coarse focus of the GS52 is just about as stiff as the ED 50. On the Opticron Sight there are several other reviews, including one comparing the Nikon to the Opticron.

That's some very good information. Thank you.

It does sound very nice and robust. It also looks about as heavy as a Nikon FS3ED. Based on opticrons website 36oz vs 38oz.

I can see its well made. But so is the FS3 and that strikes me as quite heavy for the size/function. Do you feel the weight is worth it in the size? I'm sure it has a wider FOV than the FS3ED I already have. It would be smaller. It would lack the magnification potential.

Last edited:
Just to throw another wrench in the mix, Opticron just debuted the MM3. Another 50 mm class ED spotter. I haven't tried it yet myself but hope to in March.

Just to throw another wrench in the mix, Opticron just debuted the MM3. Another 50 mm class ED spotter. I haven't tried it yet myself but hope to in March.

This just threw a wrench in my Vortex 50 purchase. Going to have to wait like wise. Need a lower power raptor watching scope for the mountains.

Travelscope Review

Hello, Ratal,

I came across this over the weekend and don't know if you, or others, have seen it.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2014travelscopes/review.html

The Opticron MM2 was not reviewed and the MM3 was not out in time. The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 appears to better the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 on image quality, but not by much – but the eye relief would rule out the Nikon for me.

However, with the MM3 now in the US there may be more subscribers who can evaluate the Vortex or Nikon against the Opticron MM3, to better assess the MM3. I look forward to that.

The surprising thing to me was, although the Opticron GS 52 Fieldscope with SDL V2 did not fare so well, the IS 60 WP with HR2 Zoom result was a good deal better. The latter, which seems not to be the “ED” version, is available at Wex for a tad under £150, and the ED version for £250.00.

Are you anywhere nearer a decision?

Regards

Wanderer

Check out the MM3 thread in the Opticron subforum. I posted some new pics and comments. I compared the Razor 50 to the MM3 and there wasn't any competition. The clarity of the image in the MM3 was significantly better. Clarity meaning higher light transmission, better apparent contrast and apparent brightness. Excellent edge performance as well.

Hello, Ratal,

I came across this over the weekend and don't know if you, or others, have seen it.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2014travelscopes/review.html

The Opticron MM2 was not reviewed and the MM3 was not out in time. The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 appears to better the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 on image quality, but not by much – but the eye relief would rule out the Nikon for me.

However, with the MM3 now in the US there may be more subscribers who can evaluate the Vortex or Nikon against the Opticron MM3, to better assess the MM3. I look forward to that.

The surprising thing to me was, although the Opticron GS 52 Fieldscope with SDL V2 did not fare so well, the IS 60 WP with HR2 Zoom result was a good deal better. The latter, which seems not to be the “ED” version, is available at Wex for a tad under £150, and the ED version for £250.00.

Are you anywhere nearer a decision?

Regards

Wanderer

I have the IS60ED WP with the HR zoom and will be changing it to the mm3 version.

Niels

Frank,

I have just now very interesting.
I also spoke to a dealer this afternoon who stocks both. On mentioning my short sightedness and spectacle use, he suggested that I might prefer the Opticron over the Razor because I might find the latter's fold-down eye-cup less convenient

No question there in comparing the two eyecup styles. The more modern eyecup design is notably better in accommodating. Also, if you check my earlier review comments on the MM3 I found it offered noticeably better eye relief at all zoom settings than another inexpensive 50 mm class spotter that I tested it against.

Two other reasons to choose the Opticron MM3 over the Vortex Razor are availability of fixed eyepieces and its ability to rotate in its tripod collar (esp. useful on angled version).

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back