• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

"I still use the Leica quite a lot, but optically the Habicht just kills it."

"My Swarovski 8x32 SV's just kill the BN optically."

"If your binocular isn't dead enough already, my 12x50 BN would just kill it."

(this last being tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure)

Nothing is "killing" anything around here.
I've got eyes. I've looked through lots of bins. I've owned several pair of bins that, under scrutiny, are a bit brighter and a bit more contrasty. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, a bit sharper. But "killing"?
No, no, I don't buy it.

I probably use binoculars differently than some around here. I usually have them when in the field with either a camera or a spotting scope, but sometimes just the bins. In any situation I tend to use my bins for scanning areas for birds and then, closer, identifying birds. I rarely view for minutes on end. I rarely use them in the lowest light. I also tend to point the bins at my subject and am not too concerned with flatness of field or CA at the edges. I just don't care about these things, never did.

IMO field binoculars, as an observational tool for wildlife, are somewhat compromised in that they are handheld. This requirement further reduces the minor optical differences to be had in very good binoculars. It also tends to amplify other aspects of field bins. If one were to tripod mount their bins, maybe the subtle differences between, say, Leica BNs and the latest Swaro something would be more pronounced.

So much attention is paid to the last Nth of difference in bird bins when we all know that if you really want to see something break out your spotting scope. Even the humble ED50 with only a 16x mounted on it WILL kill the view through any hand held binocular.

All just my opinion, of course.

IMO field binoculars, as an observational tool for wildlife, are somewhat compromised in that they are handheld. This requirement further reduces the minor optical differences to be had in very good binoculars. It also tends to amplify other aspects of field bins.

Terrific points all.

I bought an 8x32 BN around 2001 or 02 to replace my 7x30 Swaro's. They were certainly better image-wise, but I missed having good objective covers, so when the 8x32 BR's came out I got those. Not for anything other than I wanted good objective covers and didn't like the push/pull ocular pieces of the BN. Recently I got an 8x32 HD because I wanted the hydrophobic coating they had.

So, in reality, if the Lieca 8x32 BN had good objective covers, twist-up ocular's, and a hydrophobic coating, I'd never have sold them as the view is very close 15 years on.

My 8x42 UVHD is my first Leica, if I over analyse its performance looking at distortion, of axis CA, edge sharpness etc it falls short of some of the competition.

However when I use it for Birding all that melts away, I love the compactness, I love the sharpness, the contrast and clarity, the definition of the tiniest details, the feel of superior engineering, the way it raises the bar in difficult or challenging light, it is a scalpel sharp tool for observing nature and any nonsense about another brand "killing" it just melts away.

I love my Leica, wish I`d bought one years ago.

My Leica BN's are one of my all-time favorite binoculars. They don't do any one thing best, but as an overall package, they rank in the top five of the 50+ binoculars I've owned or tried. There is a richness and easiness to the eyes when looking through Leica bins, and the 8x32 BN is rich in color saturation, clarity, and resolution. It brings all these qualities together in a small package that still has that wow factor for me whenever I look through them. They are my go-to set for all purpose bins when I go sight-seeing, to sporting events, or in situations when a binocular that is too bright to my eyes in certain conditions, such as snow or sand/beach, won't do.

Last year I picked up a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x42, and after going back and forth for close to thirty minutes in a side by side comparison, I could barely see a difference in overall image quality. The HDs only slightly edged out the BN in brightness and ever so slightly in resolution.

My Leica BN's are one of my all-time favorite binoculars. They don't do any one thing best, but as an overall package, they rank in the top five of the 50+ binoculars I've owned or tried. There is a richness and easiness to the eyes when looking through Leica bins, and the 8x32 BN is rich in color saturation, clarity, and resolution. It brings all these qualities together in a small package that still has that wow factor for me whenever I look through them. They are my go-to set for all purpose bins when I go sight-seeing, to sporting events, or in situations when a binocular that is too bright to my eyes in certain conditions, such as snow or sand/beach, won't do.

Last year I picked up a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x42, and after going back and forth for close to thirty minutes in a side by side comparison, I could barely see a difference in overall image quality. The HDs only slightly edged out the BN in brightness and ever so slightly in resolution.
Has anybody ever compared the Leica 8x32 BN to the Nikon 8x30 EII. The Leica would have the advantage of being waterproof and more bomb proof than the Nikons but the Nikons would probably have the optical advantage especially with the huge FOV. Kind of two different binoculars but I am kind of thinking that if the Leica is still suffering from the Habicht and the SV the EII just might put it out of it's misery.

Has anybody ever compared the Leica 8x32 BN to the Nikon 8x30 EII. The Leica would have the advantage of being waterproof and more bomb proof than the Nikons but the Nikons would probably have the optical advantage especially with the huge FOV. Kind of two different binoculars but I am kind of thinking that if the Leica is still suffering from the Habicht and the SV the EII just might put it out of it's misery.

I own both, and the EII is definitely sharper to my eyes. I can squeeze out a little more resolution in the finer details. The problem I have with the Habicht is the poor eye relief. Otherwise it is a brilliant binocular, though the BN has better edge sharpness.

The Leica BN 8x32 is a great binocular and I was just kind of joking about my SV killing it. It has a combination of qualities that make it almost sublime. It is maybe not the absolute best in every category but it is so good in so many areas and in a class by itself in durability, size , comfort and compactness and just that "Rock Solid" feel of it that make it unique. I would have to say of all the binoculars I have had it is in my top five also. The view is maybe not as sharp as an EII but it is just so natural and perfect. I can remember looking at different birds and animals and thinking what a beautiful view. The binocular itself is a thing of beauty with it's straight pull out solid as heck eyecups and nuclear war proof armouring that seems bulletproof to anything. This thread has me wanting one again. They are a value at $600 to $700 if you can find a new condition one also. Every guide I have had in Central America has had either a Leica 8x32 or 8x42 Trinovid so that must tell you something about how tough they are. I can remember them hanging around their necks all beat up in just soaking rains and they don't even worry about them. I asked one guide why he used a Leica Trinovid and he said they just work. I just don't think the Chinese stuff will take that kind of abuse. If your life depended on a binocular in harsh conditions it would be hard to beat a Leica Trinovid. Here is a picture of what most of the guides Trinovid BN's looked like in Costa Rica. Kind of beat up but as they said they just worked. This one sold for about $350 on Ebay. A bargain!

Attachments

• lecia.jpg
    lecia.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I own both, and the EII is definitely sharper to my eyes. I can squeeze out a little more resolution in the finer details. The problem I have with the Habicht is the poor eye relief. Otherwise it is a brilliant binocular, though the BN has better edge sharpness.
The BN would have sharper edges with it's smaller FOV. It is hard to beat the EII for optics and FOV and price with anything.

Hello Coolhand,

At one time, I owned the SE, the EII, and the BN. The SE simply did not work for me, mostly because of the "kidney bean" effect or blackouts. I enjoyed the EII, especially for its FOV, but the BN was far more rugged and outshone the Nikons in glare control and suppression of stray lights and reflections off the eyepieces. Of course, focussing in cold weather is far easier with the BN. As far as sharpness is concerned, any of the three are terrific, but the SE was brighter than the EII. Even as a wearer of specs, I had no trouble with either the BN or the EII, but my glasses may have been at root of my troubles with the SE.

Happy bird watching
Arthur:hi:

Last edited:
People spend years looking for the perfect combo: 6x and 8x; 7x and 12x; 10x and Spotting Scope etc. etc. Well. Here's mine:

Leica 8x42 BN and B :)

Attachments

• Guinness.jpg
    Guinness.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 112
"

IMO field binoculars, as an observational tool for wildlife, are somewhat compromised in that they are handheld. This requirement further reduces the minor optical differences to be had in very good binoculars. It also tends to amplify other aspects of field bins. If one were to tripod mount their bins, maybe the subtle differences between, say, Leica BNs and the latest Swaro something would be more pronounced.

So much attention is paid to the last Nth of difference in bird bins when we all know that if you really want to see something break out your spotting scope. Even the humble ED50 with only a 16x mounted on it WILL kill the view through any hand held binocular.

All just my opinion, of course.

Good on you Kevin! Except for the very last bit. I'd match my Canon IS against the ED50 any day, and don't have to schlep a tripod in the bargain. IS binocs don't come near matching the ergonomics of good roof prisms but, for me, the view through them is a lot easier than the small spotters and they're easier to carry.

Best,
Jerry

Good on you Kevin! Except for the very last bit. I'd match my Canon IS against the ED50 any day, and don't have to schlep a tripod in the bargain. IS binocs don't come near matching the ergonomics of good roof prisms but, for me, the view through them is a lot easier than the small spotters and they're easier to carry.

Best,
Jerry

Well, that's a good point Jerry. IS bins do allow for MUCH more steady and therefore more accurate viewing. I personally haven't warmed to them much as, the larger ones anyway, feel like holding a toaster to my eyes. But your point is well taken.

Certainly a 15x Canon is a viable option to a small spotter and tripod and it has the clear advantage of binocular viewing.

Hello Coolhand,

At one time, I owned the SE, the EII, and the BN. The SE simply did not work for me, mostly because of the "kidney bean" effect or blackouts. I enjoyed the EII, especially for its FOV, but the BN was far more rugged and outshone the Nikons in glare control and suppression of stray lights and reflections off the eyepieces. Of course, focussing in cold weather is far easier with the BN. As far as sharpness is concerned, any of the three are terrific, but the SE was brighter than the EII. Even as a wearer of specs, I had no tumble wit either the BN or the EII, but my glasses may have been at root of my troubles with the SE.

Happy bird watching

This reads very much like my own experience.
Never got on with SEs for the kidney beaning.
I had 8x30 EIIs for several years and, like most, couldn't find much to fault with their optics. I never fell in love with them however. They don't carry well from a neck strap. They don't hold as well using a thumbs up grip as compared to roofs. I found them not especially quick to focus. They are not water proof or even dust proof and for that reason alone limited where I was willing to use them. And they, like most porro bins to me, seem more vulnerable generally. No armor doesn't help this perception.

One of the beauties of, in this case for this treads discussion, the Leica BNs for me is that I don't hesitate to use them whenever and wherever. If I get dust or salt spray all over them I wash them under the faucet.

Last edited:
Well, that's a good point Jerry. IS bins do allow for MUCH more steady and therefore more accurate viewing. I personally haven't warmed to them much as, the larger ones anyway, feel like holding a toaster to my eyes. But your point is well taken.

Certainly a 15x Canon is a viable option to a small spotter and tripod and it has the clear advantage of binocular viewing.

Kevin, You're absolutely correct, the ergonomics of the larger Canon IS binoculars are definitely an acquired taste. In their defense, I recently had an opportunity to use a Zeiss 20x60 IS for an afternoon. Amazing views, but the instrument is a beast! We're talking toaster oven! Plus, the terror associated with the thought of dropping 6k$ of someone else's glass did not make for relaxed viewing. That's one of the reasons I believe your original post was spot on. The best binoculars are the ones that get used.

Hello Coolhand,

At one time, I owned the SE, the EII, and the BN. The SE simply did not work for me, mostly because of the "kidney bean" effect or blackouts. I enjoyed the EII, especially for its FOV, but the BN was far more rugged and outshone the Nikons in glare control and suppression of stray lights and reflections off the eyepieces. Of course, focussing in cold weather is far easier with the BN. As far as sharpness is concerned, any of the three are terrific, but the SE was brighter than the EII. Even as a wearer of specs, I had no trouble with either the BN or the EII, but my glasses may have been at root of my troubles with the SE.

Happy bird watching

Hi Arthur,

I still have my SE, but the wider view of the EII had me going to them more frequently. I can't seem to let go of the SE despite liking the EII better. Every so often I bring them out or I let one of my kids use them when we are out on a hike together.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back