• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good service from Zeiss US (1 Viewer)

phlazm

After 10 years of use my Zeiss 10x40 Classic had a spec of dust in the left barrel. Sent it in to Zeiss and got it back good as new today. They had it in house for only three or four days so turnaround was very fast. I still love these binoculars even if they aren't the latest and greatest out there.

If I had to complain about anything it is that I asked in my letter if they would contact me with price information on a case for it and they never did. That is simply splitting hairs though.

That's good news about cusomer's service.

Did you ever have the opportunity to compare your Zeiss 10x40 Classic with one of the newer one like the Meopta 10x40 HD.

I am still looking for someone who may compare these two binos.

I have the Meopta/Cabelas HD 10x42 but also would like to have a Zeiss Classic 10x40 respectively the Zeiss 10x42 BGAT*P. I like the more classic look of the old Zeiss but do not know if this alpha model of the 90s would compare in performance with the beta class Meopta of the almost second decade of the 21st century.

I have not compared them to newer ones. I bought mine new in 2005 and it has been outstanding ever since. Easiest 10x to keep steady I've used. That being said I don't really bother to try newer 10x because I have never felt the need and frankly don't want to spend thousands on the newest high end ones. These are still so clear I'm stunned every time I use them. Never did find a classic Dialyt hard leather case for them though.

Now I am planning on getting a Swarovski Habicht 8x30. I want the 3D effect, an 8x, and frankly they are just beautiful to look at. That last is the one of the reasons I love my Zeiss set too. They have to handle well and look good on the shelf! Life is too short not to enjoy the beautiful.

Phlazm ..... Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting about your good experience with Zeiss USA. I have had several good non service contacts with them but have not had to use their repair service. It is good to know they will take care of business if the need is there.

Do you have a photo of your Zeiss Classic 10X40 that you can post? It would be great to see it. I just read one of Steve Ingraham's old Better View articles where he commented on how easy it is to hold the Classic. I keep looking to see someone with one in the field so I can check it out.

I watched a Jesse Stone TV movie the other night based on Robert B. Parker's mystery series. It starred Tom Selleck. He used what could have been a 10x40 Zeiss ClassiC binocular in a number of scenes.

Bob

Last edited:
I watched a Jesse Stone TV movie the other night based on Robert B. Parker's mystery series. It starred Tom Selleck. He used what could have been a 10x40 Zeiss ClassiC binocular in a number of scenes.

Bob

Saw that, too. I think it was a 10x40 ClassiC, though I wonder if it was from the prop dept. or Selleck's personal bins? He's a big game hunter.

Selleck's deadpan style fits the PI character well - quite different than he was as the high talking, affable Magnum PI. I tried to read one of Parker's novels to see how it compared, and I didn't get far, the movies are much better. Parker's writing is very cliche ridden, as if he were trying to imitate the genre rather than add something unique to the canon.

I have a 10-year old B&H catalog somewhere in my stack of newspapers, and it has the 10x40 ClassiC for sale in it for under $800, $779 or thereabouts. When you consider what alphas are going for now, that's a bargain. Funny how the 10x outlived the 7x, which I don't think made it into the 21st century.

I was tempted to buy a 10x40 ClassiC on a couple occasions off eBay that were being sold at a nice price, but they were sellers were hunters, who probably dragged them through the blood, the mud and the beer, so I didn't pull the trigger. I also read that the 10x ClassicS have low distortion and some people experience "rolling ball" with them.

<B>

Hello Phlazm,

I have had two opportunities to use Zeiss USA service: once for an 8x32 FL and the other time for a 7x42 ClassiC. Both times, things went well. The former was shipped with a problem from a reputable dealer; the latter had a jammed eye cup.

Did you buy your 10x42 from Cabela's? They had a clearance sale on them, just about ten years, ago. I found them hard to use but I am no youngster. The model is certainly a true classic

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Saw that, too. I think it was a 10x40 ClassiC, though I wonder if it was from the prop dept. or Selleck's personal bins? He's a big game hunter.

Selleck's deadpan style fits the PI character well - quite different than he was as the high talking, affable Magnum PI. I tried to read one of Parker's novels to see how it compared, and I didn't get far, the movies are much better. Parker's writing is very cliche ridden, as if he were trying to imitate the genre rather than add something unique to the canon.

I have a 10-year old B&H catalog somewhere in my stack of newspapers, and it has the 10x40 ClassiC for sale in it for under $800, $779 or thereabouts. When you consider what alphas are going for now, that's a bargain. Funny how the 10x outlived the 7x, which I don't think made it into the 21st century.

I was tempted to buy a 10x40 ClassiC on a couple occasions off eBay that were being sold at a nice price, but they were sellers were hunters, who probably dragged them through the blood, the mud and the beer, so I didn't pull the trigger. I also read that the 10x ClassicS have low distortion and some people experience "rolling ball" with them.

<B>

Brock

The approach to the main character is much different between the movies and the novels. Physically, Parker's Jesse Stone is a small wiry guy who played short stop in the Minor Leagues and who acts quickly. He is not as laid back as the Selleck character. The early Spenser novels were the best ones with good plots and good character development. They made money and Parker's reputation. He got the formula down pat after that and they didn't seem as good to me.

Bob

Hello Phlazm,

I have had two opportunities to use Zeiss USA service: once for an 8x32 FL and the other time for a 7x42 ClassiC. Both times, things went well. The former was shipped with a problem from a reputable dealer; the latter had a jammed eye cup.

Did you buy your 10x42 from Cabela's? They had a clearance sale on them, just about ten years, ago. I found them hard to use but I am no youngster. The model is certainly a true classic

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

No. I got the B&H deal for 779. It was my OCS graduation present to myself. Saved the receipt. It's a 10x40 though, not 42. There is a little rolling ball to them, but it doesn't bother me. Never knew it had a name until this forum.

Still have to figure out how to post pictures of it though.

"Still have to figure out how to post pictures of it though."

2 boxes at bottom>post quick reply & go advanced> click go advanced > click manage attachments box>box pops up> click browse> pick what you want>click upload > submit reply Hope this helps! If you reply as a quote > manage attachments box will be towards bottom as well. It takes a little while after you click upload. By all means we want to see pictures and I am glad you had very good service with Zeiss!

Attachments

• May 1 2015 Turkey 055 (1280x960).jpg
    May 1 2015 Turkey 055 (1280x960).jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 43
  • May 1 2015 Turkey 058 (1280x1105).jpg
    May 1 2015 Turkey 058 (1280x1105).jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 3-19-15 Dog stuff & robins 059 (1280x960).jpg
    3-19-15 Dog stuff & robins 059 (1280x960).jpg
    398 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Lucy: Hey, Tom. I think I see a human over there with something in his hand, and he's pointing it at us.
Tom: Yeah, I see him now. Too small to be a rifle. Could be a handgun, we better hightail it out of here and head back to the woods.
Lucy: Let's put some droppings here so we remember not to come back this way in November.
Tom: You'd better do it, I'm constipated from eating some gravel.

Attachments

• May 1 2015 Turkey 058 (1280x1105) cropped.jpg
    May 1 2015 Turkey 058 (1280x1105) cropped.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 43
Picts

Didn't mean to take so long to respond. Been stuck doing research all week. Here are three picts. Flash wasn't very kind, I think they look much better in natural light but I had a few moments to get this done so I had to jump.

Attachments

• P1020523.jpg
    P1020523.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020524.jpg
    P1020524.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020525.jpg
    P1020525.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 55
Phlazm .... Thanks for staying with us and posting the photos. That is a nice looking binocular and I it does look like it would be easy to hold.

Phlazm .... Thanks for staying with us and posting the photos. That is a nice looking binocular and I it does look like it would be easy to hold.

Oh, it's great to hold. I got it because I was so surprised how easy I my father's set was so I got the same. Easiest 10x set to hold steady I'd used to that point.

Didn't mean to take so long to respond. Been stuck doing research all week. Here are three picts. Flash wasn't very kind, I think they look much better in natural light but I had a few moments to get this done so I had to jump.

It is good to see you had good luck with Zeiss with your 10x40, I had
the very same binocular that I had bought used. It had a lot of slack
in the focuser, so I sent it back to Virginia for service. I tried sending
it back twice and they did not do a thing to improve things, I was very disappointed,
it was if they just pretended, as it came back without any improvement.
This is a very nice binocular, and I agree the handling and the view are great even compared to todays optics.

In my case, they ended up swapping it out, and sent me a new Conquest
HD 10x42, and I really like this one also.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back