• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Perfect Days. Day 2: Staying local. (1 Viewer)

After the excitement of monday, we decided to have a break from the old pager and check Marbury Country Park in nearby Cheshire. After a bit of a late start (tut-tut) we arrived just before midday to a near-deafening choir of Nuthatch all intent on outdoing each other in terms of decibels! God they drive me insane!!!

It was obvious by the number of singing Blackcaps, Willows & Chiffs and a lot had happened since I last visited 3 weeks back when it was dead. Hirundines zooming around overhead confirmed it.

When I last visited I scored with 3 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, but only poor views. The nest hole I knew of from 2003 was on a dead branch that had been blown off in some strong wind, but I had been tipped by a friend that a few days before he had seen one on the same dead tree seemingly excavating a new hole.

We went straight to the tree and noticed the trunk had been drummed to pieces and that there WAS a hole. We waited and waited and waited, but nothing. Not even a single call. Treecreepers were attacking each other which was good fun and still those bloody Nuthatches would just not shut up!

I decided to get a bit closer and see if it really was a hole or just a knot or an optical illusion or something. As I moved in I saw a dark piece of the trunk move a bit. Bins up to the eyes and there he was - a belting little male Lesser Pecker. He'd been there all the time!!!

Well to say that we had good views would be the understatement of the millenium. He crept around and zoomed along thin branches for 5 minutes before we eventually lost him in the tree behind. WOW!

As we headed back I heard a Brambling calling somewhere and then picked up a female at the top of some very tall trees. Got the scope on it and had great views. Someone then came past and said they had just had a male on the feeders, but we failed to see that one.

There was no sign of the adult Little Gull that has been there recently, but there were 2 Oystercatcher which is a bit unusual and even better 2 White Wagtails which were a great "race" year tick and a Common Sand bobbing around in the mud.

Well that was just fine and we decided to call it a day. I had to be in Leeds that night for a gig with Opera North so we went home more than satisfied.

Later that night, after I was finished playing, I turned my phone back on and there was a text message from Sarah. I'd left my pager at home and the MEGA ALERT had gone off...

NORFOLK ALPINE ACCENTOR AT OVERSTRAND.

Day 3 to follow...

Seeing my first ever LSP last year will live with me forever, particularly so for two reasons.

1. I didn't know it was there beforehand and was the first person to see it locally, sparking off a mass of interest for the next two months. So it was really unexpected and personally a real feather in my cap.

2. It was very close and tame, offering terrific views from about 5 yards.

You jammy devil LSP seem to be my bogey bird at the moment .Visited Marbury earlier in the year but no luck,also searched down Norfolk but still no luck.Never mind though,one day I will succeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back