• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns and Swallows have arrived. (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I have had a great afternoon in the bird hide here at the Hodbarrow Nature Reserve.The Terns are arriving in large numbers.Lots of Sandwich Terns and Little Terns.I only managed one pic before they all flew up into the air,and it wasn,t very good,but if any of you are in the area,it is worth a stop off to see them.They are also nesting on the ski bank on the jet ski site.Very ,very noisy.It is good seeing them all fly back to their sites carrying fish when the tide is in,as it was this afternoon.Also there are so many Swallows around ,they are everywhere.I managed to take my first pic of one this evening.Not very good ,as the sun was in the wrong place and I had to be quick as they do not stay still for very long.It is great to see and here them.I can here them twittering very clearly when I am in the house and kepp dashing outside to have a look.They do a lot of swooping in the river across the road,and perch on the guy ropes of the boats.The Oystercatchers are nesting,also the Ringed Plovers,but the Grebes do not seem to have started building as yet.I enclose my first Swallow pic of the year.

Attachments

• sun25th 019.jpg-e.jpg
    sun25th 019.jpg-e.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 161
A lot of birds came in here yestersday - Red Rocks Marsh is suddenly full of Sedge Warblers - there were 4+ Grasshopper Warblers, Whitethoats, Whinchats and plenty of hirundines.

Yesterday was terrific for bird watching. I had a Grasshopper Warbler, seven Wheatears. and a Lesser Whitethroat. The Hares were also gamboling in the fields. But I only saw three Swallows.
I hope you count yourself lucky living where you do. You have the Hodbarrow reserve, the Duddon Estuary, the Marsh, The Sand Hills, The woods and fields, the River Lazy and the four foot off a mountain, Black Coombe.
Im'e green with envy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back