• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

A second winter Little Gull was reported at Westwood Pool mid morning, presumably the same bird.

I would guess so, as the bird I saw was a 2nd winter (had to check the books when I got home as I don't recall seeing this plumage before). It was present for no more than 60 seconds as it circled a couple of times in front of the concrete hide after first being seen and then headed off south-west. This was easily the highlight of the morning (7.15-12.00), but there was some movement and activity across all areas of the reserve.

A Raven was on one of the pylons to the east of the North Moors Pool with some sort of prey item, before tiring of the attentions of Carrion Crows and Jackdaws and heading off west. In common with John's report for yesterday there were both Skylarks (12+) and Meadow Pipits over, with eight of the latter feeding with Pied Wagtails and Linnets on a slightly damp second flash. Song Thrushes were in evidence in most areas, albeit only singles but a total of at least eight birds. Bullfinches were seen at the Flashes, in the education reserve behind the lorry park and along the west side of the Moors Pool. A flock of Siskins totalling c.30 was seen over the south side of the Sailing Pool, with one or two redpolls accompanying them, with at least six Siskins along the east side of the Moors Pool. There were Blackcaps with tit-flocks in the education reserve (a female) and along the east track at the Moors Pool (a male). Great Spotted Woodpeckers were seen across the reserve, a Treecreeper was heard in the education reserve and a Green Woodpecker was heard at the flashes. A Grey Wagtail was seen over the education reserve. Two Peregrines were in the transmitters at the Flashes, with another, or possibly one of the same two later seen over the North Moors Pool. On the wader front only one Snipe was seen (at the Moors Pool), Curlews were heard (and no doubt seen by others) at the Moors Pool and small numbers of Lapwings were at both Moors and Flashes. Water-bird numbers were unremarkable, none exceeding the counts Phil reported yesterday, although for some reason I counted 187 Coot:eek!: and large gulls were non-existent.

All in all a good morning.

Mike

Last edited:
A few Meadow Pipit shots attached - a dozen or so were feeding on and around the flashes today. Plenty of skylarks passing overhead most of the day, including one flock containing 21 birds. Good numbers of Lesser Redpolls and Siskins scattered around the flashes and ed res. A Yellowhammer, 2 Green Sandpipers and a Little Owl on the flashes this evening.

Attachments

• Meadow Pipit Flashes 301011.jpg
    Meadow Pipit Flashes 301011.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 67
  • Mipit Flashes 301011.jpg
    Mipit Flashes 301011.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Mipit Flshs 301011.jpg
    Mipit Flshs 301011.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 58
Nice resume Mike. Saw a good selection of species today, highlight at the Moors was Snipe, several Pochard, 8 Siskin, Mistle Thrush, and Redwing over. Got a few Cormorant pics.

Over at The Flashes bumped into Gavo and Dave, which resulted in a very pleasurable hour or so in the hide watching Mipits and chewing the fat.A Walk around the Eddy with the two aforementioned resulted in good Siskin, Redpoll and Red Admiral encounters.

Got a few pics of Mipits, but not easy with light and their movement.. on my Flickr . View in light box

Birding, and good company this weekend..Allmost ready for the return to work:-C

Last edited:
To add to Mike and Dave's sightings:
Moors
Little grebe 4, Shoveler 12, Teal 40+, Gadwall male, Pochard 8, Snipe 4

Flashes
Teal 5, roosting Curlew 21, Lapwing 100+, BHG 150 also a snipe appeared late on.
c60 Redwing and 20 Fieldfare flew over as did a yellowhammer and meadow pipit. A few starling (80 ) and reed bunting roosted.
B :)John

also 5 red admirals, common darter and migrant hawkers mating in amy's marsh, must be getting close to them disappearing.

Last edited:
I must have seen at least 4 snipe on the moors pool today. Also have been watching out for Ravens as not seen any until this last week, and saw 3 flying from the farmland east of the moors over towards the north moor.
Was trying to see the Fieldfare, but missed out. Dunnock and Bullfinch at feeders, and 3 Grey Heron, Shovelers, and at least 4 Pochards, on the moors. Kingfisher showing well and so were 2 Water Rails.
Also saw a few Mallards trying to mate, must think its spring, or do they never stop?

just wandered if folks were aware of this story ( esp those connected more closely with The Trust)

http://www.droitwichadvertiser.co.uk/news/9320150.Outdoor_education_centres_could_be_sold_off/

Hi Mark,

Yes we were aware of this happening. It's very early stages at present so it's impossible to say how it will develop. The whole area is designated SSSI so, as I understand it, it will be a condition on any new owners / tenants to manage any activities in a way that doesn't degrade the site. Hopefully, Natural England etc. will be monitoring this situation very closely.

Hi Mark,

Yes we were aware of this happening. It's very early stages at present so it's impossible to say how it will develop. The whole area is designated SSSI so, as I understand it, it will be a condition on any new owners / tenants to manage any activities in a way that doesn't degrade the site. Hopefully, Natural England etc. will be monitoring this situation very closely.

Thanks Dave, so leading on from this, and looking at it the other way, has it been viewed as a potential opportunity ..or is that line of thinking a non starter ?

I'm guessing that someone has flagged this up to the Worcester Wildlife Trust and Natural England, not with the line of watching who buys it but buying it themselves and making it a visitor centre and making the sailing pool more wildlife friendly?

Tim

That too is a perfectly reasonable assumption. :t:

I refer the gentleman to Dave's sound advice in his last line above...

I'm guessing that someone has flagged this up to the Worcester Wildlife Trust and Natural England, not with the line of watching who buys it but buying it themselves and making it a visitor centre and making the sailing pool more wildlife friendly?

Ha! A nice thought, Tim - but I'd say that's very unlikely. I'm guessing the most we might expect to gain from this is some influence over the new owners and how they manage the area. I'm guessing it will probably still be run as some kind of leisure complex but we might be able to make it more wildlife-friendly. Who knows? - anything at this stage is just speculation. Pretty much everything I know now seems to be in the public domain. :t:

Whoever buys it will have to conform to the rules and legislations governing SSSIs and the adjacent land, we are currently doing a legislation module and it's a complete headache, there are so many legislations that govern these sort of things now, in an ideal world the RSPB would but it up and turn it into a reserve, for the benefit of the wildlife (I live in a dream world I know).

Shame there is'nt a badger sett on site, the logistics then become horrendous.

It will be interesting to follow the story and see what develops. If only one of the regulars could win the Euro lottery, now that would make for a nice outcome :t:

Whoever buys it will have to conform to the rules and legislations governing SSSIs and the adjacent land, we are currently doing a legislation module and it's a complete headache, there are so many legislations that govern these sort of things now, in an ideal world the RSPB would but it up and turn it into a reserve, for the benefit of the wildlife (I live in a dream world I know).

It will be interesting to follow the story and see what develops. If only one of the regulars could win the Euro lottery, now that would make for a nice outcome :t:

I think you echo mine and other people's thoughts exactly, Gav. I've always hoped that the RSPB would take a serious interest in UW and take over the running of the site - they'd have the vision and necessary resources to do the place justice. As for what we'd do if one of us won the lottery - that's another pipe-dream.:smoke:

There is a Badger set on site.

Des.

There is a Badger set on site.

Des.

That raises possible problems for whoever buys it then and is great news for conservation, due to the badger act 1992 no work can be carried out within 20 metres of the sett and there are various other laws which I cannot remember. I just recall our lecturer telling us it's a real headache for land owners :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back