• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra has a baby (1 Viewer)

Interesting development. I like the Terra ' s optics but I have to say the look and feel of the binocular is awful. I've never felt anything so cheap. The armouring is awful and the two colours make it look like something you would buy for £29.99 in the supermarket.

This is only my opinion but I think the little blue shield sends many people starry eyed ;)

Really? Mine are black rubber and look and feel like pretty much every other binocular. Like Jerry, I use them and they seem rugged and durable, even if the optics are clearly a step below the rest of the Zeiss line-up.

Gary,

If I may ask, since I can't get an accurate answer to the question customers ask: "Why is there only 2 years on guarantee on the Terra if it is such a very reliable bin which will last for years?".

Jan

Jan,

The manual which came with my 8x42 Terra ED states under "Manufacturers guarantee for binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes" that it has a "10-year guarantee" which covers "cost of labour and material for a period of 10 years from date of purchase." (Zeiss's emphasis-not mine). See page 25 for the English version.

This manual was printed 02.2013.

Bob

Last edited:
Jan:

I'm not Gary, but the warranty in the US and Canada for the Terra binocular, is the Limited Lifetime transferrable warranty. And that is the same as the rest of the models.

I like the comfort of that.

I find the Terra to be a nice value in this price range.

Jerry

Jerry

The warranty which came with my 8x42 Terra ED says it has a 10 year warranty. See my response to Jan above.

Bob

Jerry

The warranty which came with my 8x42 Terra ED says it has a 10 year warranty. See my response to Jan above.

Bob

That does make it even more stranger as in the Dutch version the same manual says 2 years guarantee.
In this case I'll change the question.
How can I explain to the customers the difference in taking care for the customers from Europe and the US by Zeiss regarding this guarantee issue.

Jan

The Terra is designed as an entry level binocular and for the price is a great product. I have a great choice of binoculars but use a Terra 8x42 when I walk my dogs along the river.

Of the 2 colours available in the UK I think the grey version is fine.

This is probably the first time a binocular with Zeiss optics (and yes they are Zeiss optics) has been available at this price point and they will introduce newcomers to the brand and possibly encourage them to invest in higher models within the brand - and if they do the px value of the Terra will be high because of the name on it.

I work in service at Zeiss and trust me - the Terra ia a very reliable binocular which will last for years.

Gary

Gary,

I see what you are saying and I understand, but I have to maintain what I said earlier. The Terra is a decent binocular optically but it looks and feels awful. I've handled hundreds of binoculars over the last year and the Terra feels the cheapest and nastiest. You may argue that it is entry level, but I have handled binoculars at about a third of the price of the Terra and they look and feel much better.

I'm also not impressed that a case doesn't come with the binocular. I'm sorry but paying circa £300 you should get a case. Yes, I know you can contact Zeiss and have a case sent out for the price of postage, but what a carry on! I understand cost cutting but how much does it cost to provide that horrible clear plastic box it comes in? Very odd. It looks cheap, feels cheap, no case and it's your Donald Duck whether you get a good one or not!

I actually bought a Terra 8x42 a few months ago and liked the optics. However, there was an anomaly with the close focus which meant I had to readjust the diopter if I wanted to close focus. Not ideal. I have to echo what Typo said above. I've tried several Terras - some have been very good and some have been awful. I remember a 10x42 that was particularly bad.

I'm stunned at Dobler 's claim about them all starting off good and it's the shipment from China that can throw them out. It doesn't say much about the build quality! For me, that statement is enough to discourage anyone from ever buying a Terra unless you get a good amount of time to try before you buy.

Interestingly, I bought a Zeiss conquest 8x32 last week which developed play in the focusing within half an hour. It went straight back.

Really? Mine are black rubber and look and feel like pretty much every other binocular. Like Jerry, I use them and they seem rugged and durable, even if the optics are clearly a step below the rest of the Zeiss line-up.

In the UK the two colours are grey and blue and I wouldn't describe them as rubber. They are a very hard plasticy material that stinks of chemicals for about two weeks. I've seen the black Terras and they look much better.

How can I explain to the customers the difference in taking care for the customers from Europe and the US by Zeiss regarding this guarantee issue.

Well, this different treatment ot US customers and customers elsewhere, when it comes to warranties, is not something unique to Zeiss. Still good to ask the question though ;)

Last edited:
Well, this different treatment ot US customers and customers elsewhere, when it comes to warranties, is not something unique to Zeiss. Still good to ask the question through ;)

Hi Florian,

You're absolutely right but the only difference is that all the other brands offer at least 10 years guarantee.
When I popped the question "why only two years" the remark was "Don't know, company policy", but back than I didn't know it was 10 to limited lifetime in the US.
BF is a very good source for info3:)

Jan

Jan,

The manual which came with my 8x42 Terra ED states under "Manufacturers guarantee for binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes" that it has a "10-year guarantee" which covers "cost of labour and material for a period of 10 years from date of purchase." (Zeiss's emphasis-not mine). See page 25 for the English version.
Bob,

Page 25 on "my" manual shows: notes.
Maybe, if I write there 10 years guarantee I will have it also;)

Page 26 shows 2-year guarantee.

Jan

Attachments

• zeiss gebr. aanw. 1.PDF
    48.4 KB · Views: 50
  • zeiss gebr. aanw. 2.PDF
    72 KB · Views: 37
Jan,

Bob,

Page 25 on "my" manual shows: notes.
Maybe, if I write there 10 years guarantee I will have it also;)

Page 26 shows 2-year guarantee.

Jan

Jan,

Page 26 in my manual is written in German and I can understand enough of it to tell that it is a 10 year guarantee. Same on page 28 which is in French. Page 30 is Spanish and it also says 10 years. And on page 32 which is written in either Chinese or Japanese I can see the number 10 in the same places I see it in the other guarantees.

People who own this binocular should go to the manuals they received with it to determine the guaranty the binocular has. Attached to this manual loctated after page 32 is a card one can fill out and mail to Zeiss to register it at:

Carl Zeiss
Sports Optics GmbH
Carl Zeiss Gruppe
Produktmanagement
Gloelstrase 3 - 5

D-35576 Wetzlar

Alternatively you can register it on line at www.zeiss.de/sportsoptics

See the English Warranty page 25 for this information.

Bob

Jan,

Page 26 in my manual is written in German and I can understand enough of it to tell that it is a 10 year guarantee. Same on page 28 which is in French. Page 30 is Spanish and it also says 10 years. And on page 32 which is written in either Chinese or Japanese I can see the number 10 in the same places I see it in the other guarantees.

People who own this binocular should go to the manuals they received with it to determine the guaranty the binocular has. Attached to this manual loctated after page 32 is a card one can fill out and mail to Zeiss to register it at:

Carl Zeiss
Sports Optics GmbH
Carl Zeiss Gruppe
Produktmanagement
Gloelstrase 3 - 5

D-35576 Wetzlar

Bob

Bob:

I have the same small booklet that you have and it mentions the
10 year wty. Also in my box was another smaller foldout leaflet
that contains the info. about the US and Canadian wty.

You could look to see if you have that. Also a phone call to the
Zeiss US service center in Virginia, would clear up the question.

Jerry

Jan,

Carl Zeiss
Sports Optics GmbH
Carl Zeiss Gruppe
Produktmanagement
Gloelstrase 3 - 5

D-35576 Wetzlar

Bob

Bob,

Thanks.

"My manual" states it applies to all countries except US and Canada and is dated october 2013. It containes 37 pages explaining instruction for use in English, German, French, Japanese or Chinese and Spanish.

On page 26 in English; page 28 in German, page 30 in French; page 32 in Spanish and on page 34 in Korean/Japanese/Chinese? and all states 2 years manufacturers guarantee independently of the retailer's guarantee obligation to the customer.

So my original question still stands.

Where is Lee when you need himo:)o:)

Jan

Bob,

Thanks.

"My manual" states it applies to all countries except US and Canada and is dated october 2013. It containes 37 pages explaining instruction for use in English, German, French, Japanese or Chinese and Spanish.

On page 26 in English; page 28 in German, page 30 in French; page 32 in Spanish and on page 34 in Korean/Japanese/Chinese? and all states 2 years manufacturers guarantee independently of the retailer's guarantee obligation to the customer.

So my original question still stands.

Where is Lee when you need himo:)o:)

Jan

HI Jan

You called?

You only have to download the instruction book/warranty from the Zeiss websites to discover that the warranty in the States is Lifetime and transferrable whereas the same book on the UK website shows 2 years as per the discussion on this thread.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this and can only speculate that Zeiss sees the market demands to be different in these two areas.

Lee

HI Jan

You called?

You only have to download the instruction book/warranty from the Zeiss websites to discover that the warranty in the States is Lifetime and transferrable whereas the same book on the UK website shows 2 years as per the discussion on this thread.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this and can only speculate that Zeiss sees the market demands to be different in these two areas.

Lee

Lee, dear friend & ambassador of the Blue Label, Graf Von Wetzlar etc. etc.

Can you (I will ask this to the rep also) imagine one reason for Zeiss to give one continent to have a lifetime warranty and the rest of the remaining global suckers 2 years warranty for the same product out of China that is advertised as lasting for years?

Jan

Lee, dear friend & ambassador of the Blue Label, Graf Von Wetzlar etc. etc.

Can you (I will ask this to the rep also) imagine one reason for Zeiss to give one continent to have a lifetime warranty and the rest of the remaining global suckers 2 years warranty for the same product out of China that is advertised as lasting for years?

Jan

Jan lieve vriend & torturer of all manufacturers of kijkers the world over.

Yes. I can only imagine that they think they cannot sell without a lifetime warranty in the USA and that they can in Europe.

But I really don't know the answer to this one, you will have to ask your local Zeiss contacts to find out.

Lee

HI Jan

You called?

Lee

No Lee. I didn't call. I'm hollering!;)

If Zeiss gave me a 10 year warranty when I bought it does that mean when I transfer it to someone else they have a Lifetime warranty?:C:eek!:

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back