Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 5th February 2018, 09:37   #51
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStarfighter View Post
What's the eye relief on that one? As a glasses wearer it's only a worthwhile upgrade for me if it has better eye relief than the Monarch 5. Meopta seem to list 15mm on their website but from what I've learned so far is that not all is equal between brands with how they measure eye relief.
Starfighter
All of my info points to all the manufacturers using the same method to define eye relief but what you don't know until you try the binos is how the eyecup works with the ER. Some eyecups deliver your eye to the right place and some don't. Some can be persuaded to deliver your eyes to the right place by inserting rubber 0-rings underneath them.

Its tricky because the eye relief is an optical concept and takes no account of the size of the eyecups.

Lee
Old Monday 5th February 2018, 11:54   #52
paddy7

It wasn't until about 1990 that i got my own bins. I'd inherited an unnamed porro from my gran, and had my cousin's ex-Merchant Navy marine set as a kid (latter almost prevented me cycling!)
I spent 150 on Viking porro 8x42 HRs in 1990-ish and endured the wrath of my partner, as we had little money, our first child and this was definitely AN INDULGENCE!
I nearly trashed those bins for 17 years (they're now with a bird observatory in Gambia), and it was only when making a concerted effort to become better at birding that i stepped into the modern world, via Vanguard Endeavour 8.5x45 - couldn't believe what was now possible! So that's why my i.d. skills were poor - i couldn't see them!
A couple of years after, i came by a set of FL 8x32 on Ebay, upgraded to the Endeavour EDII 8x42, and that'll do nicely, thanks....The FL and I are a match made in heaven, and unless the anticipated SF 8x32 is completely irresistible, reckon i'm where i need to be optics-wise.
Old Monday 5th February 2018, 16:51   #53
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
It wasn't until about 1990 that i got my own bins. I'd inherited an unnamed porro from my gran, and had my cousin's ex-Merchant Navy marine set as a kid (latter almost prevented me cycling!)
I spent 150 on Viking porro 8x42 HRs in 1990-ish and endured the wrath of my partner, as we had little money, our first child and this was definitely AN INDULGENCE!
I nearly trashed those bins for 17 years (they're now with a bird observatory in Gambia), and it was only when making a concerted effort to become better at birding that i stepped into the modern world, via Vanguard Endeavour 8.5x45 - couldn't believe what was now possible! So that's why my i.d. skills were poor - i couldn't see them!
A couple of years after, i came by a set of FL 8x32 on Ebay, upgraded to the Endeavour EDII 8x42, and that'll do nicely, thanks....The FL and I are a match made in heaven, and unless the anticipated SF 8x32 is completely irresistible, reckon i'm where i need to be optics-wise.
Paddy,

IMHO your story says it all.
The one and only reason for the excistence of A optics.

Thanks

Jan
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 09:08   #54
paddy7

Interesting that I just had a great weekend out with the Vanguards - a bit of fiddling at first to get used to faster focus, narrower FoV, flatter field, but then all good, and very enjoyable and productive.
Then, the return to the FLs, which of course reminded me how splendid they are for birding.
This is not a bad exercise, if you ever want to refresh your vision, and remind yourself of a good choice made. Spend a weekend with a good (but 'lesser') pair, then return to your good 'uns...
Old Wednesday 7th February 2018, 13:08   #55
jan van daalen

OK, counting the A beans results in a 1/3 does not use A optics and 2/3 grows to a A brand.

Thanks guys (no dolls I'm sad to say)

Jan
Old Thursday 8th February 2018, 20:10   #56
adhoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
For half the SV price you'll have a 12x50HD Meopta. One I reckon for 99% A.
Jan, sorry if this should be obvious, but what does "99% A" mean there? Thanks. (I am thinking of getting this model.)
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 01:37   #57
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Jan, sorry if this should be obvious, but what does "99% A" mean there? Thanks. (I am thinking of getting this model.)
To be frank....... their price.
If they would ask double their current pricing, everybody would consider them Alpha.

If one would take the plants of Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica and put it on the property of Meopta, their would still be plenty of space.
Tsjech is a (compared to the rest of the EU) low labor cost country, which is why they can produce relatively cheap.
Their gear is top notch, they offer 30 years garantuee and have a repair department.

Jan
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 02:00   #58
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Tsjech is a (compared to the rest of the EU) low labor cost country, which is why they can produce relatively cheap.
Their gear is top notch, they offer 30 years garantuee and have a repair department.
As the former industrial heartland of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, prewar Czech industry was a match for Germany, and of course Bohemia has a long and distinguished tradition of crystal and glass making.

The previous-generation Leica spotting scopes were actually manufactured by Meopta.
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 12:09   #59
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmajid View Post
As the former industrial heartland of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, prewar Czech industry was a match for Germany, and of course Bohemia has a long and distinguished tradition of crystal and glass making.

The previous-generation Leica spotting scopes were actually manufactured by Meopta.
As were the same of Zeiss.

Jan
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 14:23   #60
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello,

My principall binocular for bird watching is the Zeiss 8x32 FL, which was purchased based on posts in BF. However, I must caution that I was misled by the glowing posts on other binoculars which were enthusiastically praised in this forum. From time to time, I do use other binoculars, including a couple of really old Porro glasses.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&L7x35.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	653441  
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 17:17   #61
Roadbike

Long ago my first binocular was a Sears 7x35 wide field from Hong Kong. And it did the job for wild life observation for over 20 years. Next a Unitron branded 8x32 from Vixen showed me how much better binoculars had gotten. I now use Nikon 8x30 EII and 10x35 EII as my go to bins for birding and other daytime observation.
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 23:42   #62
Patudo

Hi Jan:

Towards the end of last year I was mainly using the 7x42 BGAT*P for shorter distances (7/800m and closer in) and the 10x40 BGAT*P* for longer distance observation (beyond 1km). I still love both and the 10x40 works particularly well for me in brightly lit destinations (southern Europe, southeast Asia) where that very bright sunlight that can be so rare in Northern Europe compensates for the slight but noticeable drop in brightness compared to more modern optics. Recently I have been using the 8x32 FL for everything and found it does the job quite well. Very lightweight and easy to hold up for long periods, very bright (for a x32), only a little less field of view than the 7x42, and very close in sharpness to the 8.5x42 EL.SV.FP. On bright summer days I still find the 8x30 non-B Oberkochen porro a pleasure to use - I also use a Swift 7x35 wide field occasionally but the great field of view comes in a larger more cumbersome package.
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 16:45   #63
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Hi Jan:

Towards the end of last year I was mainly using the 7x42 BGAT*P for shorter distances (7/800m and closer in) and the 10x40 BGAT*P* for longer distance observation (beyond 1km). I still love both and the 10x40 works particularly well for me in brightly lit destinations (southern Europe, southeast Asia) where that very bright sunlight that can be so rare in Northern Europe compensates for the slight but noticeable drop in brightness compared to more modern optics. Recently I have been using the 8x32 FL for everything and found it does the job quite well. Very lightweight and easy to hold up for long periods, very bright (for a x32), only a little less field of view than the 7x42, and very close in sharpness to the 8.5x42 EL.SV.FP. On bright summer days I still find the 8x30 non-B Oberkochen porro a pleasure to use - I also use a Swift 7x35 wide field occasionally but the great field of view comes in a larger more cumbersome package.
Yep, the more recent P models are a joy to use for life.
Ofcourse the modern models outrun them but looking through those oldies is still like coming home.

Jan
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 22:00   #64
looksharp65

Currently used binoculars
Meopta Meostar B1 8x32
Nikon EDG II 7x42
Nikon E II 8x30
Meopta Meostar B1 12x50 HD
Zen-Ray 7x43 ED3

Previously used or tried binoculars, some of which are still in my possession:
Zeiss Jenoptem 8x32
Zeiss 10x40 B/GA T*
Minox HG 8x33 MIJ
Minox BV 8x25
Vortex Fury 6,5x32 Used to love this, both 6,5x32s are in real use substituted with the 8x30/8x32 and 7x42
Meopta Meopro 6,5x32
Nikon Mikron 6x15 current version, not vintage
Pentax Papilio 6,5x21
Zeiss FL 10x32
Nikon Venturer/Premier/HG 10x32
Bushnell Excursion 8x28
Nikon Monarch X 10,5x45
IOR Valdada 7x40
Zeiss Notarem 8x32
Vortex Fury 8x42
Nikon 7x50IF HP WP Tropical
Meopta 6x30 porro Classic lightweight porro >50 years old, with a very decent view, but impossibly tight eye relief
Mamiya 7x28 roof
Zeiss DF 6x18

Apart from keeping some for their sentimental value, for being rare or for exhibiting extraordinary traits, I have navigated away from anticlockwise-focusing models, IF models, models with very skewed colour rendition, models exhibiting excessive CA or just for lack of real use. The only possible improvement I could think of would be replacing the Meostar 8x32 with... a Meostar 8x32 or a Cabela's Euro Instinct 8x32. That could possibly also be done with a Kite Lynx 8x30, but if their price were the same, I'd likely go with the Meopta since I developed a very tight bond with it. My current sample's focus knob stiffness is long gone which is pure bliss.

//L

Last edited by looksharp65 : Tuesday 13th February 2018 at 22:07.
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 08:14   #65
Troubador

L
I am also very fond of Meopta MeoStar 8x32 and while I can understand you wondering what the Cabela's version might be like I am puzzled by your reference to the Kite Lynx. I am sure it is a fine bino but it isn't related to the Meopta like the Cabela's is.

Lee
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 10:49   #66
Cluster

I was happy looking for my "sweet-spot" in price vs performance near the budget end of the market in the $200-$350 range. I was doing OK too, fuelled by reviews and recommendations on this forum. After having spent on various binoculars (some good, many poor or very poor in one respect or another), I reckoned that I had spent so much on poor bins that I could have bought a good binocular with that money. At least, that was the reasoning that applied when I had a chance to buy a 7x42 UVHD at a very attractive price.
Very happy with it, although maybe there's an 8x or even 10x in my future for hide birding.

Using .. 7x24 MCF compact porro that lives in my backpack
8x30 Nikon M7 for lightweight outings
7x42 UVHD most of the time
7x36 ZR ED2 when the Uv is at risk of damage/loss (holidays etc)
Opticron 8x42 HRWP, 8x32 SRGA.
(sold my 8x30 Eii as it was not getting used much, now I miss it)

Last edited by Cluster : Wednesday 14th February 2018 at 11:42.
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 15:11   #67
jring

Hi,

for me it's in order of usage:

Nikon E2 8x30
Nikon SE 10x42 if more range is needed
Pentax DCF ED 8x32 when it's pouring or as a loaner
Hensoldt DF 8x30 IF is in the car so gets the occasional look when no other is available

The others are rarely used.

Joachim
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 17:59   #68
looksharp65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
L
I am also very fond of Meopta MeoStar 8x32 and while I can understand you wondering what the Cabela's version might be like I am puzzled by your reference to the Kite Lynx. I am sure it is a fine bino but it isn't related to the Meopta like the Cabela's is.

Lee
Lee, I never claimed they were the same binoculars. On the contrary, I wrote that the Kite could possibly act as a substitute for a new Meopta, but that I prefer the Meopta's very ergonomic design.

Advantages of the Kite would be the huge FOV with considerably less weight, better colour rendition than my current Meopta and a slightly lower price.
If the prices were the same, I'd most likely go with the Meopta.

//L
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 20:16   #69
kabsetz

For me:

1) Almost always, birding, night sky, sailing, most travel - Canon 10x42 L IS (with a finnstick attached for a lot of birding). If I want to see what there is to see, there simply is no alternative to a premium image stabilised view.

2) For theatre and some travel, when light and small is paramount and seeing well is secondary - Leica Ultravid 8x20

3) If I want to have a binocular along but there are real risks of losing it, breaking it or having it stolen - Nikon 7x20 Travelite III (I have had this for almost thirty years. Central image is really sharp and easy on the eye, so for all its limitations, it is actually a very pleasing view - also, about the only thing I own made of plastic that has survived the test of time faultlessly).

Other binoculars I own:

Nikon 10x42 SE - used by my wife when we bird together and by me sometimes if I need a "normal" binocular as a measurement reference.

Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50 - Nostalgia from my youth. This one just gathers dust now, but there's no point in getting rid of it either. Way back when, the Nikon SE replaced this, although disappointingly it turned out that the Jenoptem was at least as sharp. The Nikon was and is, however, significantly brighter and has truer colours and more even field. The Nikon is also much lighter and more comfy to hold.

Kimmo
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 23:15   #70
dries1

Bins

I started with military IF models a Hensoldt 8X30 DF, which evolved to the NVA DF 7X40, EDF 7X40(still have them), as well as a couple of Kern of Arrau models.
I have got back into the hobby and have different glasses now, which are all different in their own way and they all get used. some are below.

The surprise was the Leica 8X42 HD, a glass providing a different view to the EDG 10X42 of not being flat, and with exceptional contrast. The others are the Meopta 7X42 and the Zeiss FL 8X32.

The Meopta a second go around with the 7X42 format and in my honest opinion, it will be difficult for Zeiss to build a new 8X32 to match the size and portability of the FL, a very portable glass.
The SE porros are always with me in my nearby nature Sanctuary.

Waiting for spring.

A.W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2694.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	653919  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2784.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	653920