• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Feeding Station on the IOM (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
All,
I thought you might be interested in this:

Over the years that I lived in the UK, I visited many nature reserves which were owned by a number of different conservation bodies. One thing was common to them all - in Winter, there was always a feeding station that could be viewed by the public (usually from a hide or car park).
However, here on the IOM, we have no such feeding stations despite a plethora of small (and large) nature reserves around the island.
So, last night, I contacted the reserves Officer of the MWT and asked permission to set up a small feeding station at Close Sartfield LNR (home to Europe's largest Hen Harrier roost, but usually very poor for viewing passerines).
With permission granted, the wife and I went out and bought a few hanging nut/seed bags and went out to the reserve to hang them out.
Let's hope that it starts to attract a few decent birds for the general public to see and appreciate it. It's just a shame that we had to do it ourselves and out of our own pockets, but hey, if it works then kudos to us! ;)

IOM Feeding Station

Chris

Well done Chris - this is an excellent project. I just hope it will attract as many birds as our new feeding pole (with 4 hanging feeders) has done. Please keep us up to date on the activity there. :clap:

Last edited:
Good move CJW :t:

My local reserve has a feeding station, but this yaer at least it's pretty much left to visitors to supply the food.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back