• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (4 Viewers)

I assume he just meant current models....

If I could find a Trinny 7x42 for $450 I would JUMP all over that!! Or at least the BN version.... last 7x42 BN sold for $800 on the bay....

Do you not consider the Leica trinovid alpha?

Eitan was correct. I was thinking more of current production model Alphas. The Trinovid is certainly up there in terms of optical performance and construction.

Yes, the last one went for close to $800 but there was one on there a few months ago that sold for $450.

Yes, the last one went for close to $800 but there was one on there a few months ago that sold for $450.

the BN version?

man, I love the Trinnies, I think they are just fabulous ergonomically, built like tanks, beautiful optics.... I can't afford an $800 bin but if I could get my grubby hands on a pair of 7x42 BN for under $500 I'd probably dump my ED3's :p

Having a 10x42 BA, I would be interested in the 7x42 ba/bn/br, but for the minimum focus distance, of 3.3 meters. Prefer somewhat closer.

Eitan,

I will be honest. I don't remember. It may have been a B/A. I have no way of checking.

At $450 I was tempted to purchase it myself but was focused on a different directions of bins at that point.

Jay,

I haven't checked but I would guess a polycarbonate. Maybe something similar to the Zeiss. It is probably one of the reasons that it is so light for an 8x32 of its length.

At that price point it is probably a material called P_L_A_S_T_I_C! A material used in alot of stuff Walmart sells. I doubt very much if it is similar to the Zeiss. HaHa!

Dennis,

You always put a smile on my face. You just love to stir the pot, don't you? You find a thread on an optics' subject or particular model which is popular and then throw out some opposing opinion just to create controversy. Love it. You are the Howard Stern of Birdforum. ;)

Ok, I will play along...just to make things as interesting as ever.

I have had the Sightrons for four months now. Yep, still have 'em...long after many other bins have come and gone. More expensive bins? Yes. Higher performing bins? Yes.

Why?

Because of what I originally mentioned and because of what others have posted about subsequently after purchasing them. They are an excellent value and they perform very well in just about every optical area.

Are they an "Alpha bin"? Depends on your definition of "Alpha". They certainly aren't a Zeiss FL, Nikon EDG or Leica Ultravid HD but then again they shouldn't be as they are only $200.

Please do let me know the next time you drop your bins in a lake. I have been using binoculars for quite a few years and can't honestly remember if this has ever happened to me. If it did I would expect the Sightrons to be waterproof provided they weren't 20 feet down and/or sitting in there for more than a few minutes.

As for someone "complaining" about stiff focus in cold weather...please be kind enough to go back and re-read Brown Pelican's follow up post. His comment was placed because of the type of gloves he was using on that particular day. When he changed gloves he did not have as much of an issue.

And please do let me know which binoculars have focusing mechanisms that don't stiffen up somewhat in colder weather. There is a big difference between becoming somewhat stiff and becoming unusable.

;)

Anything else?

Ok, Frank. I hope you are not getting any kickbacks from Sightron for your glowing almost unbelievable review and I am sure they sold a few because of it. Even though it is against my better judgement to buy a binocular this cheap I will buy one and compare it to my Zeiss 8x32 FL and my Nikon 8x32 EDG I. My review will be objective and perhaps it will put stop to all this insanity! It will be entitled "Can a Cheap Binocular REALLY compare to an alpha?"

At that price point it is probably a material called P_L_A_S_T_I_C! A material used in alot of stuff Walmart sells. I doubt very much if it is similar to the Zeiss. HaHa!

Zeiss: Glass-fiber reinforced polymer body.

Polymores are either organic or synthetic. But the common name for them is:
P_L_A_S_T_I_C!
It is the material that makes up a lot of what WalMart sells, and the bodies of the Zeiss Victory FL series binoculars.
The other "Alpha" makers use magnesium (a metal) bodies covered with a polymer(plastic) armor.

Ok, Frank. I hope you are not getting any kickbacks from Sightron for your glowing almost unbelievable review and I am sure they sold a few because of it. Even though it is against my better judgement to buy a binocular this cheap I will buy one and compare it to my Zeiss 8x32 FL and my Nikon 8x32 EDG I. My review will be objective and perhaps it will put stop to all this insanity! It will be entitled "Can a Cheap Binocular REALLY compare to an alpha?"

I bet I can predict, word for word, exactly what your review is going to say. I will send my prediction to another forum member via PM and we will see how close I get.

;)

Yep, you guessed it. Me and Sightron are tight. Same goes for Tasco after I gave one of their classic porro models some fairly high praise.

;)

I think I should send you the Tasco to add to your thread titled "Can a cheap binocular really compare....."

:eek!:

I bet I can predict, word for word, exactly what your review is going to say. I will send my prediction to another forum member via PM and we will see how close I get.

;)

Yep, you guessed it. Me and Sightron are tight. Same goes for Tasco after I gave one of their classic porro models some fairly high praise.

;)

I think I should send you the Tasco to add to your thread titled "Can a cheap binocular really compare....."

No. Let's not go that far. I am too much of an elitist to allow a Tasco in my house. It might touch my Zeiss FL or Nikon EDG. OOOOOOH!

Then I'd like you to compare yours to my Brunton 6x30 monocular.

;)

;)

"I bet I can predict, word for word, exactly what your review is going to say. I will send my prediction to another forum member via PM and we will see how close I get.":

Because you know my review will be right on the money and totally honest!

"Yep, you guessed it. Me and Sightron are tight. Same goes for Tasco after I gave one of their classic porro models some fairly high praise."

Now I know how you can afford that huge binocular collection. I knew you were getting manufacturers kickbacks for your endorsements.

Last edited:
Zeiss: Glass-fiber reinforced polymer body.

Polymores are either organic or synthetic. But the common name for them is:
P_L_A_S_T_I_C!
It is the material that makes up a lot of what WalMart sells, and the bodies of the Zeiss Victory FL series binoculars.
The other "Alpha" makers use magnesium (a metal) bodies covered with a polymer(plastic) armor.

The Zeiss is on E-bay. I won't have a plastic binocular.

Yep....you again guessed it. I have been reimbursed by every optics manufacturer I have ever reviewed. That list would include....

Adorama
Atlas Optics
Barska
Binolux
Browning
Brunton
Bushnell
Cabelas
Celestron
Dakota
Eagle Optics
Focal