• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil - Regua near RJ - 2 (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Continuing with some more evidence that I should find another hobby where my absolute visual incompetence won't be so manifest ... Swamp with reasonable amount of forest, near sea level near Rio.

1. Objectively, it is not my fault that all seedeater females look the same, right?

2. no idea

3. is this Shouther Beardless tyrannulet? I never recall having seen any with the actual crest ...

4. and 5. more of a long shot if someone knows

Attachments

• _z1.jpg
    _z1.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 70
  • _z2.jpg
    _z2.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 74
  • _z3.jpg
    _z3.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 66
  • _z4.jpg
    _z4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 61
  • _z5.jpg
    _z5.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
Again, sorry, no idea on Brazilian birds; bumping so it doesn't get forgotten

Maybe that's a good idea to do once in a while. C'mon, guys, these are all intriguing puzzles of bird ID - I know what I am talking about, I have spent hours staring into a book to no avail!

No 5 looks a fair bit like a female blue-black grosbeak. In some parts of Brazil, that would translate over into Ultramarine Grosbeak. Another similar option would be female Large-billed Seedfinch.

No 2 reminds me of Slate-colored Seedeater, but I am not sure if that fits with the region.

Niels

A very tricky selection! To me number 2 looks like a poorly marked Double-collared Seedeater with all but the tiniest hint of breast band burnt out by some pretty hideous over exposure. Dunno bout the others, I'll come back to them when I've got a bit more time.

Cheers

James

A very tricky selection! To me number 2 looks like a poorly marked Double-collared Seedeater with all but the tiniest hint of breast band burnt out by some pretty hideous over exposure. Dunno bout the others, I'll come back to them when I've got a bit more time.

Cheers

James

That was another one I considered for 2

I should add I have never been to Brazil, so the usefulness of my help is limited

Niels

Thanks for the opinions! I agree that 2 strongy rings a DC seedeater bell and that the overexposure of the sunlit part of the bird (by the way, the contrast between sun and shade in the jungle is really vicious, even for visual observing!) may have hidden some markings, however I was not able to dig an image where a DC seedeater would look simiraly - but that seems to be the general case for many south American species, that the internet is of limited help, so if some plumage variant/age/moulting state is not in your book, it's very difficult to get a handle of the bird.

Everyone seems to be running scared if image #3. The overall jizz and apparent size seem good for Southern Beardless Tyrranulet. In addition it seem to be showing that rather horizontal posture that this and Northern BT favour

Agree that 3 is Southern Beardless Tyrannulet. I think 2 is an immature male Lined Seedeater.
Clueless about 4 and 5. Number 4 seems to be a seedeater. Number 5 gives the impression of a larger bird. Notice that neither Ultramarine Grosbeak or Large-billed Seedfinch have been recorded at Regua (as far as 12/2013), according to Regua's birdlist. Chestnut-bellied Seedfinch is in the list but the female seems closer to a female seedeater (although more rufous than the bird in 1 for example) and not as robust as the bird in 5.

Last edited:
I decided to give these some time to ripen and revisit them later, but (apart from the probably obvious SBT #3) that did not change my mind in that all proposed options seem similarly viable to me after consulting available material. So I figured to just bump the topic so that maybe some fresh pair of eyes stumbles upon it. Otherwise these will probably be the first "reasonably imaged" birds ever I will completely give up on. At least another reason to come back to that awesome place, to observe them better!

Opisska, just to be sure: have you checked Wikiaves, the Brazilian collection of bird photos?

Niels

Opisska, just to be sure: have you checked Wikiaves, the Brazilian collection of bird photos?

Niels

As a matter of fact I did not - their pages are done in a very weird fashion so that their images do not turn up in google image search (there is some javascript that is supposed to "protect" the images), so I was completely oblivious to that page up to now (google image search is a good way to find pages that have pictures of birds - you can't trust that all the birds shown on the search are what you looked for, but it gets you to good pages fast). I'll definitely check wikiaves more thoroughly, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back