• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

This afternoon (16:00-17:30) - adult YL Gull, 4 Common Sands, 2 Green Sands, 1 LRP, Kestrel, and a Little Egret which was mobbed almost relentlessly by Magpies from the moment it dropped in, which I'd not seen before. Also good numbers of Lapwing and Stock Doves about the place, and Swift and hirundine numbers increased too as a band of rain arrived just as I was getting ready to leave, when I also shouted at a couple of kids who were "just stretching their legs" after jumping the fence into the meadow.

Matt

Quick morning visit pre-holiday. Redshank and several Green and Common Sandpipers mostly on the newly emerged islands. Plenty of Lapwing (a good 30+) and one LRP calling at the far side of the workings. Rain stopped play, as did last night's visit.

Quick visit last night after a text from Patch Commander;-) lovely Turnstone, Blackwit, Dunlin(4 min) plenty of Common and Green Sands. Pair of very noisy Peregrine over but didn't stop. Gull and Tern numbers increasing with the latter looking like they are going for late breeding attempt. Not bad at all for July, lets hope the autumn produces the goods :)

Last edited:
Dear all,
SEB start cutting trees under cables tomorrow, they will leave bramble where White Throat are still. Meeting 10 30 am they start at 7 30am. Nice they are informing us . THe pump fire was bad if you are able to take photos of those doing damage we can show police. Blackwit still here this morning could not find Turnstone 3 Dunlin and plenty of Sandpiper Lapwing .

Note of today 2 Juv Shelll Duck flew in 1 BT Godwit 8 Green Sandpipers 5 Common sand. 7 Little Greab at least Lapwing numbers up as are Gulls plus all the usual s.
Also noted how many Bumble Bee s dead under Silver Lime other side of stream through intoxicates.
Finally bit peeved off with Hansons for not letting us clear willow on 6th and 26th .Because H&E not in place.When i thought all was in place. Very disappointed.
Rich.

Meanwhıle ın Turkey although not bırded yet.

Sombre Tıt
Sardınıan Warbler
Syrıan Woodpecker
Black-eared Wheatear
Eleonora's Falcon

My visits today 1 Red Kite Kestrel Sparrow Hawk Buzard 8 Little Egrets Green and Common Sandpipers about Grey Wagtail 8 Little Greab Common Gull and to top it off Oystercatcher that The Crew put me on to this evening.
Nice to see a Birded visiting Tices from Yorkshire any thing to do with Tim s influence i wonder.
Dismayed that Hanson s not letting us cut willow on the 6th and 24th because H&S not in place, they have had plenty of notice .
Rich.

What do people make of this gull? I photographed it last Sunday evening on one of the posts at the back of the bike pool and initially thought Yellow-legged but realised the dark eye and dull legs are not right for this species. I ruled out Common based on bill length, and because it certainly appeared to be Herring-size/build, although there were no other gulls close to it to give a comparison. Bit stumped!

Matt

Attachments

• 20130728_170246.jpg
    20130728_170246.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 65
What do people make of this gull? I photographed it last Sunday evening on one of the posts at the back of the bike pool and initially thought Yellow-legged but realised the dark eye and dull legs are not right for this species. I ruled out Common based on bill length, and because it certainly appeared to be Herring-size/build, although there were no other gulls close to it to give a comparison. Bit stumped!

Matt

I'll 2nd that (all the way from France). A twitchable Surrey Ring-billed is long overdue....

Cheers
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back