• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a pair of Bins, need some Help. (1 Viewer)

A full size porro bins are not light. For budget users, I suggest the Bushnell Excursion 8x28 which seems UK carry more new old stock than USA. You might find one.

The Vortex Diamondback 8x32 is also very good for the price range and you get VIP lifetime no fault warranty which is a big plus.

I have tried the Diamondback and it's good but doesn't have good eye relief. I tried the Bushnell 8x36 and thought it was poor.

The Helios Naturesport is 690 g.

Still looking, but so many recommendations, and me with limited knowledge of binoculars. Couldn't find any reviews on the Opticron T3. Trail finder 8x42 . And left a message with FLO about the bga on offer. Sherwoods have lots of offers for shop soiled or demo bins. Are they good to buy from? I'm. Sure to find something suitable soon.
In the meantime, I'd just like to thank everyone for your help and advise! It's appreciated.

Sherwood appear to take batches of Opticron demo models from time to time which I'm pretty sure will have been checked before hand. I'm sure they list their own trade-ins as well. As a company they get lots of positive feedback from members here.

David

I agree with Typo. Sherwoods are very good to buy from.

The Trailfinder 3 is very good for the money. I would recommend them.

Gentlemen, Thank you all for the help and advise I've received from you. It's truly appreciated; and I believe, not gone to waste? you'll be pleased to know that my search is over! I spent yesterday in the Welsh Capitol searching through all the camera and binocular retailers. Now some of the Bins we discussed were definitely Not For Me! The Nikon Aculon XXX Stroud & Gloucester Range XXX plus a few others we discussed, Just didn't feel right. In the end it came down to a choice of two : The Opticron Discovery 8x32 or the Opticron Oregon 8x32. Both WP and about the same size; although the Discovery was a wee bit lighter in weight. I tested them with a shop assistant, who is also a bird watcher, he accompanied me out side in to the light; and we tested both bins. Now the Discovery was selling at £139.99 and the Oregon was selling for £79.99 at Camera-Land Cardiff. After testing both, the Guy from the shop said " I didn't think I'd say this! But there's nothing between them; and at half the price of the Discovery, I prefer the Oregon" Those were my thoughts also, we tried them again in store; and came to the same conclusion. So I bought the Opticron Oregon WP LE 8x32. I'm pleased with them so far. But going in to a Camera Shop was a big mistake! I ended up buying a new telephoto lens for my Panasonic GX7 Camera The panasonic Lumix 100 x 300 f4.0 - f5.6 Lens. Her in doors was not amused; especially as it's so close to Christmas. Oh well too late now to change my decision! But seriously Gents; I'm so grateful for you help and guidance. many thanks.
Regards
Mostyn

Gentlemen, Thank you all for the help and advise I've received from you. It's truly appreciated; and I believe, not gone to waste? you'll be pleased to know that my search is over! I spent yesterday in the Welsh Capitol searching through all the camera and binocular retailers. Now some of the Bins we discussed were definitely Not For Me! The Nikon Aculon XXX Stroud & Gloucester Range XXX plus a few others we discussed, Just didn't feel right. In the end it came down to a choice of two : The Opticron Discovery 8x32 or the Opticron Oregon 8x32. Both WP and about the same size; although the Discovery was a wee bit lighter in weight. I tested them with a shop assistant, who is also a bird watcher, he accompanied me out side in to the light; and we tested both bins. Now the Discovery was selling at £139.99 and the Oregon was selling for £79.99 at Camera-Land Cardiff. After testing both, the Guy from the shop said " I didn't think I'd say this! But there's nothing between them; and at half the price of the Discovery, I prefer the Oregon" Those were my thoughts also, we tried them again in store; and came to the same conclusion. So I bought the Opticron Oregon WP LE 8x32. I'm pleased with them so far. But going in to a Camera Shop was a big mistake! I ended up buying a new telephoto lens for my Panasonic GX7 Camera The panasonic Lumix 100 x 300 f4.0 - f5.6 Lens. Her in doors was not amused; especially as it's so close to Christmas. Oh well too late now to change my decision! But seriously Gents; I'm so grateful for you help and guidance. many thanks.
Regards
Mostyn

Enjoy. I have the Disco which I bought second hand and in mint condition, but I tried the Oregon once and liked it.

Yes, I though it was a cracking pair of bins for the money, but not everyone would rate them. What suits some; won't suit others.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back