• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Technical Knowledge and Optics Evaluation (1 Viewer)

Gerold Dobler has been a birder and nature observer, and a dedicated user of bins since his childhood.

I really don't want to make the guy sound like a super hero but his birding skills are very impressive and he definitely has opinions about what the view should be like for nature observations.

Lee

The question is open to EACH of us.

Being a master birder gives one no more special knowledge on optics than being a DJ gives one in depth knowledge of the construction and technical performance of microphones. If they have their heads on straight, it's just a tool.

The proof lies with each observer.

Bill

If we are of sound mind and have two functional eyes, do we not have all the tools needed to evaluate each to our own satisfaction ? Can I get an Amen ? :-O

If we are of sound mind and have two functional eyes, do we not have all the tools needed to evaluate each to our own satisfaction ? Can I get an Amen ? :-O

I can agree with you, but don't try to preach and tell others here
that your binocular is the best.

With some models it is a common thought, but just bragging is not
permitted. ;)

Jerry

What binocular are you talking about. I didn't mention anything specifically about any of my binoculars anywhere in the entire thread. There's nothing wrong with a sense of humor Jerry.

I can agree with you, but don't try to preach and tell others here
that your binocular is the best.

With some models it is a common thought, but just bragging is not
permitted. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
What binocular are you talking about. I didn't mention anything specifically about any of my binoculars anywhere in the entire thread. There's nothing wrong with a sense of humor Jerry.

I thought it was required to mention binocular in every single sentence on this forum?

You both have a sense of humor, and so do I.

I must admit I also like the Swarovision. :t:

Jerry

I once had Swarovision. But, my ophthalmologist said, "Just take two Nikons, cover up with the electric blanket on 2, and, on waking, put the savings in the bank." He promised it would make me feel better; it did.

The EL is (to me) the best all 'round bino I've look through. However, I'm not that "worthy," or is that "wealthy"?

Bill

I once had Swarovision. But, my ophthalmologist said, "Just take two Nikons, cover up with the electric blanket on 2, and, on waking, put the savings in the bank." He promised it would make me feel better; it did.

The EL is (to me) the best all 'round bino I've look through. However, I'm not that "worthy," or is that "wealthy"?

Bill

Bill:

The EL is a great binocular, and the Swarovision is just a newer, better
model.
After 10 years, it was time for an update, the ED glass and updated coatings, do make this a very nice binocular.

Jerry

Bill

Now, now, we don't want to start something. : )

Bryce...

The question is open to EACH of us.

Being a master birder gives one no more special knowledge on optics than being a DJ gives one in depth knowledge of the construction and technical performance of microphones. If they have their heads on straight, it's just a tool.

The proof lies with each observer.

Bill

Yo Billy

The question was asked 'who at Zeiss signs off the view through their bins' and since Herr Dobler is head of product development there I was describing how his background qualifies him to have a decent opinion on this.

And for sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this. I have said before that alpha bins are like fine wines each with their own flavour and a case can be made for all of them.

For myself, I have settled on Zeiss as the brand that suits me after trying several others, but if I had silly money available I would add an Ultravid 7x42 and SV 8x32 to my stable because they both offer something special in their own right.

Lee

My Anthem Blue Cross payment is over $800 a month and climbing, and I don't even go to the doctor, so one quality binocular in my lifetime isn't something I'm going to deny myself. If you start talking 15 Alpha binoculars, that's a different story. If I run on to hard times I'll sell it and move on. Some of the tightest people I know are multi millionaires, some of the most frivolous pay for everything with borrowed money. To each their own.

Yo Billy

The question was asked 'who at Zeiss signs off the view through their bins' and since Herr Dobler is head of product development there I was describing how his background qualifies him to have a decent opinion on this.

And for sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this. I have said before that alpha bins are like fine wines each with their own flavour and a case can be made for all of them.

For myself, I have settled on Zeiss as the brand that suits me after trying several others, but if I had silly money available I would add an Ultravid 7x42 and SV 8x32 to my stable because they both offer something special in their own right.

Lee

You are, of course, correct. But, how many times have we seen the words of the knowledgeable required to take a back seat to the eternal speculators.

The old, "If a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a noise?" has an equal in the optical realm: "If you don't understand or recognize a problem, does it really exist?

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back