• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100/400 Zoom Fungus (1 Viewer)

Gallus

I have been having problems with dust and marks inside my 100/400 5.6 Zoom lens marks appeared on the outer lens very like flaking of the glass I took it to my Canon Service Centre who informed me it was due to a Fungal growth inside the Lens Has anyone had similar problems with dirt or Fungus with this lens. The Lens is one year old.

Gallus said:
I have been having problems with dust and marks inside my 100/400 5.6 Zoom lens marks appeared on the outer lens very like flaking of the glass I took it to my Canon Service Centre who informed me it was due to a Fungal growth inside the Lens Has anyone had similar problems with dirt or Fungus with this lens. The Lens is one year old.
Gallus, did they offer to repair/replace the lens....hb

Gallus said:

I've never heard the 100-400 zoom singled out for fungus problems. In what kind of environment do you use it and where do you store it? For it to have problems after only 1 year of life is very surprising.

Mine is spotless despite many hours of use. But then I do keep 2 tins of rechargeable desiccant in my photo bag at all times! Good protection for all of my equipment - not just the lenses. An ounce of prevention ...

Hi Gallus,

A friend of mine has encountered similar problems, and obviously affected his photography greatly. Not sure what happened in the end, but he did encounter the same problem with the same lens.

Despite using mine in very humid conditions months on end, I haven't had this problem (to my surprise!). But I now have a problem with the connection to the camera body. Once in a while when I press the shutter, the aperture goes to 00, then freezes and says error 01. To fix this I then have to take the battery out and turn the camera back on, very frustrating. Anybody offer any advice to prevent this? My warranty is finished!

James Eaton said:
But I now have a problem with the connection to the camera body. Once in a while when I press the shutter, the aperture goes to 00, then freezes and says error 01. To fix this I then have to take the battery out and turn the camera back on, very frustrating. Anybody offer any advice to prevent this? My warranty is finished!

For connection probems try cleaning the contacts using a pencil eraser (one that doesn't leave a residue, such as the little ones that are stuck on a pencil).

James Eaton said:
Hi Gallus,

A friend of mine has encountered similar problems, and obviously affected his photography greatly. Not sure what happened in the end, but he did encounter the same problem with the same lens.

Despite using mine in very humid conditions months on end, I haven't had this problem (to my surprise!). But I now have a problem with the connection to the camera body. Once in a while when I press the shutter, the aperture goes to 00, then freezes and says error 01. To fix this I then have to take the battery out and turn the camera back on, very frustrating. Anybody offer any advice to prevent this? My warranty is finished!

I'm pretty sure that there is a dodgy batch of 100-400mm out there. When I first bought mine, I had exactly the same problem. I did a search on the net, and found that it was a common problem with this lens, and a few other 'L' lenses!! Apparently a dodgy IS unit?? Took mine back to my supplier, who knew about the problem, and he replaced without any hassle.

Last edited:
Torpedo said:
I'm pretty sure that there is a dodgy batch of 100-400mm out there. When I first bought mine, I had exactly the same problem. I did a search on the net, and found that it was a common problem with this lens, and a few other 'L' lenses!! Apparently a dodgy IS unit?? Took mine back to my supplier, who knew about the problem, and he replaced without any hassle.

A "common problem"? I don't think so!

Out of the 10's of thousands of these lenses that have been sold, I'm sure that all sorts of errors have been reported since this lens was first released back in 1999 but you really can't refer to any of them as "common".

People on the internet tend to complain rather than praise. They seek solutions to their problems. Those who are content are quiet. The vocal minority are those who have problems and they make it seem that everyone who has ever owned particular product has had the same problem.

All that said, I too have had a problem with the IS on my 100-400 lens. The aperture 00 problem can be avoided by turning off the IS (or getting it fixed). A failure of the IS alone does not give an error code. If you get an error you have an additional problem - often, dirty contacts.

A quick reference:
Err 01: LENS COMMUNICATION
Err 02: CF DRIVER
Err 04: NO SPACE LEFT ON CF CARD
Err 05: POP UP FLASH
Err 99: SYSTEM

compa said:
A "common problem"? I don't think so!

Out of the 10's of thousands of these lenses that have been sold, I'm sure that all sorts of errors have been reported since this lens was first released back in 1999 but you really can't refer to any of them as "common".

People on the internet tend to complain rather than praise. They seek solutions to their problems. Those who are content are quiet. The vocal minority are those who have problems and they make it seem that everyone who has ever owned particular product has had the same problem.

All that said, I too have had a problem with the IS on my 100-400 lens. The aperture 00 problem can be avoided by turning off the IS (or getting it fixed). A failure of the IS alone does not give an error code. If you get an error you have an additional problem - often, dirty contacts.

A quick reference:
Err 01: LENS COMMUNICATION
Err 02: CF DRIVER
Err 04: NO SPACE LEFT ON CF CARD
Err 05: POP UP FLASH
Err 99: SYSTEM

Sorry, I didn't mean common, as in widespread. As I said, I believe it was with a certain batch. If you search the Fred Miranda, Rob Galbraith, DP Review, Canon users (photography-on-the-net) forums, you'll see how many people were experiencing this problem. As well as myself, 3 other people bought the 100-400mm from 'my' supplier, and 3 of them (so 3 out of 4)exhibitted these problems. All were exchanged without question.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back