• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kindle Fire HD Apps (1 Viewer)

Tarsiger

Although not as cool(!) as Iphone/Ipod/Ipad etc anyone know if there is anything out there available for the above; field guide type APPs for UK or elsewhere rather than birding recording/rare bird notifications which I don't need. Alternatively are there any Android Apps which can be 'shoe-horned' onto this hardware?
TIA
Russ

Are you shopping or have you bought?

Unfortunately there don't seem to be anything like as many apps available for Kindle Fire as for Nook Tablet and Nook Color. (And those that are are mostly for North America, though there is one for South African mammals.) Also the Nooks can be rooted with an N2A card that let's them run as plain Android machines, without voiding the warranty. I suspect the problem may be that the proprietary structure Amazon runs on top of Android (the basic OS of both Kindle and Nook) makes modifying Android apps to run on Kindle more difficult than for the Nook's superstructure. Be that as it may, I found far more nature apps on Amazon that will run on Nook than on Amazon's own Fire.

If you haven't actually bought yet, you should know that both Barnes & Noble and Amazon offer free "Nook for Android" and "Kindle for Android" apps that will let you read both formats on a generic android machine. There are android tablets that cost little more than a Nook or Kindle.

Will

Will

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I already have the Kindle Fire HD and wasn't too worried about birding apps. I loaded a couple of dozen 'general' APPs and just wondered if there was anything useful out there bird-wise. I guess it's still an iphone/pad/pod world out there!!
Regards
Russ

Will

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I already have the Kindle Fire HD and wasn't too worried about birding apps. I loaded a couple of dozen 'general' APPs and just wondered if there was anything useful out there bird-wise. I guess it's still an iphone/pad/pod world out there!!
Regards
Russ

Not completely I think: android have a bunch of birding apps as well.

Niels

Niels,

Sorry, I'm not very 'techie' - I don't know whether any 'bog-standard' android apps
are, or will be, compatible with Kindle.
Regards
Russ

Both Amazon (Kindle) and Barnes and Noble (Nook) used Google's Android OS (which is available free) as the basis of their readers, BUT both of them wrapped a superstructure around them. They may have wanted to deter their customers from buying the other company's books, but it looks like mostly what they were doing was to produce a reader for technophobes. And they seem to have done a pretty fair job of it.

The superstructure interferes with many or even most of the available Android apps running on them because the apps need to access the root of the Android OS to run properly. Since the quality of both Nook and Kindle was high and the price low relative to the generality of android tablets, people developed ways around the superstructure, "rooting" the machines. This made them incapable of working as Nook or Kindle. In the case of Kindle, most attempts to root the machines result in "bricking" them, i.e., turning them into a brick, so far as electronics go. I don't think this was a consequence of deliberate design, it just happened that way. Nooks root fairly easily, and a commercially available mini SDHC card, the N2A card, actually allows you to switch back and forth, and by removing the card, to return the machine to a plain Nook.

Some android apps that don't need to access the root will run on Nook or Kindle (more of them on Nook) and most can be modified to run on the Nook or Kindle superstructure, apparently more easily for Nook than for kindle, if the programmer thinks it's worth the trouble (many don't).

Of course, there are many birding books and some field guides that are available as Kindle Books, I've got 11 or 12 on my modified Nook right now, including the new edition of Hawks at a Distance.

Will

Niels,

Sorry, I'm not very 'techie' - I don't know whether any 'bog-standard' android apps
are, or will be, compatible with Kindle.
Regards
Russ

Russ, sorry if you think I have the answer. I am a complete nobody on advanced phones and pads -- don't own any. My comment was only based on the Apple connection: I know there are alternatives such as the app allowing entry into Ebird using android. How all of this translates into kindle I cannot help with even if my wife just got one.

Niels

just found this thread
Santa left me a Kindle Fire in my stocking and I was hoping to find something on this thread !!
I have noticed a Sibley "App" but it's about £12 from amazon (obviously !)
Question - I know how good the book is - is the App good value.
I expect to be in California in May and would sooner have my field guide on my kindle with all the other electronic ephemera than have to lug a big old book about.

The Sibley app in question combines all the figures of the big Sibley guide with all the text from the regional Sibleys. Aside from the usual problem with reading the screen outdoors its a superb app, the best available for NA birds. For indoor use it has replaced my paper Sibleys. I think that the Audubon field guide app is also available for Kindle (I know it is for Nook)

Will

Last edited:
The Sibley app in question combines all the figures of the big Sibley guide with all the text from the regional Sibleys. Aside from the usual problem with reading the screen outdoors its a superb app, the best available for NA birds. For indoor use it has replaced my paper Sibleys. I think that the Audubon field guide app is also available for Kindle (I know it is for Nook)

Will

Just to support that: it's fantastic value. Worth it for the calls/songs alone. Wish we had a European equivalent.

Is this app still available for kindle hd fire as it seems to have vanished since I last looked!! Am I missing something?
Russ

£12 is cheap, I paid around £18 for it on Android proper. Does the Kindle Fire only allow apps from the Amazon App store?

The Kindle (and the Nook) use the android os BUT with a proprietary superstructure wrapped around it. Android apps mostly need to access the root of the os and require some rewriting to run on kindle (or nook) and separately for each. There are commercially available cards that turn a nook into a plain android, but not so for kindle (yet anyway)

If you have your own microSD card you can download the code for ca $20 usd.

Will

I just downloaded "Birds of Britain" on to my Kindle for the grand sum of £0.69p from Amazon. It's the same one that's available as a Google app.
For the money it's excellent !

just noticed that Collins British Bird Guide (Collins Pocket Guide) is available to pre-order for Kindle at £8. I think this is a condensed version of "the bird guide". Could be tempted if it's decent quality

I did some searching on apps for Kindle for North America and found on the Amazon.com site one from Audubon with photos and some calls. The Sibley app I could only find referenced on the Sibley website, and the link to Amazon led to a dead page (not found ...)

Niels

If you root your kindle you'll be able to use the Google market/Play store. There's a wider choice of apps available that way. Or you could side laod the apps. It's easy enough and google is your friend. ;) xda-developers is the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back