• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good sites for new printers? (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hin there

Our "HP C8180 All in one printer" has decided to give up the ghost (we will consider a service, and may keep it for a spare printer)

We are very keen to buy the same model as it has been problem free, and given us a good service for many years

Anyone know of good sites that give a good deal on this particular model at all?

Thankyou in advance :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

I have the same model but think they have been out of production for at least 2 years. I'm sure there may be some lingering on a store shelf somewhere but you may have to get a new model.

Good luck in your search, ebay comes to mind where to look for one.

phil

I have the same model but think they have been out of production for at least 2 years. I'm sure there may be some lingering on a store shelf somewhere but you may have to get a new model.

Good luck in your search, ebay comes to mind where to look for one.

phil

Hi Phil

Thank you for your reply, and information

OH has bought another printer on e-bay for £179.00 - same make and same model and it will arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

Have you had any issues with your printer?

Does it stop in the middle of printing, and turn itself off. That is the manufacturing issue I found out about which is beyond my own control

It has been turning itself off for no reason at all now and again. Now after many power surges/incorrect shut downs, it has given up working. We will consider getting it serviced depending on the cost.

I tried to re-install it, but to no avail! :smoke:

Regards
Kathy
x

So far ours has been functioning well and I have worried also about power surges and outages here so have it plugged into a UPS with surge protection. The one thing that irks me about it is the sometime annoying message about my " ink cartridge has expired" . Hey if it still prints I'm not going to install new ink cartridges if I can squeeze more life out of them. :)

I do recall having a few paper feed errors with copier paper and photo paper but nothing that wasn't resolved by either re-seating the paper tray or adding more paper.

phil

So far ours has been functioning well and I have worried also about power surges and outages here so have it plugged into a UPS with surge protection. The one thing that irks me about it is the sometime annoying message about my " ink cartridge has expired" . Hey if it still prints I'm not going to install new ink cartridges if I can squeeze more life out of them. :)

I do recall having a few paper feed errors with copier paper and photo paper but nothing that wasn't resolved by either re-seating the paper tray or adding more paper.

phil

Hi Phil

Never thought of a UPS with Power surge connection. I will make sure one is attached to make sure the next printer does not go the same way as the one now.
How much is a UPS Power surge cost?

I wait until the ink cartridges expire, and I have had no messages like yours at all. It is when the second cartridge goes the printer will not work at all.
The same applies if the black cartridge goes as it is the most heavily used.

Another trick of mine is to use 'grayscale' - black ink only, so you do not use the coloured cartridges so heavily if not needed.

The only time I have had paper jams (or paper sticks in six's) is when I used the cheapest photo copy paper that there is on the market (Tesco's own brand - sorry Tesco) is one type of paper to avoid at all costs.
I aim to buy the better quality paper as it gives a good end result.

We do not use the wireless facility, so have no idea how it works.

Regards
Kathy
x

Printers are unfortunately marketed as disposable items.
Printer ink is obscenely profitable. To protect those profits, the producers shift models frequently, using new and entirely incompatible ink cartridges to keep the knock off discounters at bay. That also mandates a limited life for each printer, both by design as well as deliberately. Specifically, some recent printer reviews have noted that some printers have a built in copy counter that requires a factory reset once it reaches its limit. I do not know whether your HP is in that category, but the fact remains that printers are now limited life by design. If anyone knows of an exception (other than $1000+ professional models), I'd be quite interested.

Hi Phil

Never thought of a UPS with Power surge connection. I will make sure one is attached to make sure the next printer does not go the same way as the one now.
How much is a UPS Power surge cost?

I wait until the ink cartridges expire, and I have had no messages like yours at all. It is when the second cartridge goes the printer will not work at all.
The same applies if the black cartridge goes as it is the most heavily used.

Another trick of mine is to use 'grayscale' - black ink only, so you do not use the coloured cartridges so heavily if not needed.

The only time I have had paper jams (or paper sticks in six's) is when I used the cheapest photo copy paper that there is on the market (Tesco's own brand - sorry Tesco) is one type of paper to avoid at all costs.
I aim to buy the better quality paper as it gives a good end result.

We do not use the wireless facility, so have no idea how it works.

Regards
Kathy
x
I can't say how much a UPS would cost now but when we purchased ours a few years ago it was around 50 US dollars. They come in different sizes and may also be had with special features which will drive the price up. They are cheap insurance in the event of a surge or power failure as you have time to save your work and properly shut down.

Now our printer is set up for wireless only and we have several computers running Linux and Windows that access the printer without any problems.

Great idea with the grayscale trick I'll give that a whirl.

phil

Printers are unfortunately marketed as disposable items.
Printer ink is obscenely profitable. To protect those profits, the producers shift models frequently, using new and entirely incompatible ink cartridges to keep the knock off discounters at bay. That also mandates a limited life for each printer, both by design as well as deliberately. Specifically, some recent printer reviews have noted that some printers have a built in copy counter that requires a factory reset once it reaches its limit. I do not know whether your HP is in that category, but the fact remains that printers are now limited life by design. If anyone knows of an exception (other than $1000+ professional models), I'd be quite interested.
I agree and so will many others. Recently we were in a Big Box store and they had printers for just a few dollars more than what the cartridges cost for the H-P C8180 of course they didn't have as many functions but ink carts shouldn't cost that much.

Automobiles and Printers= Petrol and Ink without the juice those devices are useless for what they're designed for and the manufacturers know we'll pay to play at almost any cost. Sad isn't it, well enough chit chat got to run off a couple hundred copies for the newsletter.......;)

phil

I agree and so will many others. Recently we were in a Big Box store and they had printers for just a few dollars more than what the cartridges cost for the H-P C8180 of course they didn't have as many functions but ink carts shouldn't cost that much.

Automobiles and Printers= Petrol and Ink without the juice those devices are useless for what they're designed for and the manufacturers know we'll pay to play at almost any cost. Sad isn't it, well enough chit chat got to run off a couple hundred copies for the newsletter.......;)

phil

I have heard of certain printer manufacturers getting the best of their equipment by stating a 'limited' number of copies before the printer seizes up - not heard it with HP though? (unless someone knows different)

I received my new printer this morning n. It lacked a USB cable to use with the equipment, but I used my spare one instead.

We will, invest in a UPS plus surge protection, and will buy one as soon as possible

Glad to have got the new printer working, and it is fine now so pleased with our purchase. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back