• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snatch! Eastern Bluebird Snatches Grub (1 Viewer)

David in NC

So I live in western North Carolina and the Eastern Bluebird is a common bird. The bright blue males are especially nice and pretty and the females are the main workers (my wife points this out ALOT...!) I never tire of seeing them even if they are common and widespread.

Today sitting on the front porch (a brief interlude of peace and relaxation between a hectic night shift, sleep, and another hectic night shift)...

The birds weren't too active in this time frame, but I seen a few on the feeders. I was especially amazed to see a male Eastern Blue Bird land in a small oak sapling near my house. I had just became aware of him there and he then flew a few feet away and hovered about 18" or so off the ground for about 2-3 seconds, and then he dive bombed the ground and I literally HEARD the "snaaaatch" sound as he grabbed a grub worm from the grass.

And being a male, he flew to a perch, posed for about 30 seconds for others to see him, then flew toward the nest...

This is a sight I've seen many times, but I have never been close enough to hear the sound as he grabbed the grub out of his shoes... Very interesting when you can HEAR it...

I guess if you are going to be in the food chain, it's better to be a consumer! :scribe:

And being a male, he flew to a perch, posed for about 30 seconds for others to see him, then flew toward the nest...

Not so much because it's a male but it's their way of checking that no threat is nearby before they go to the nesting site. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back