• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Final Native Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

stlbirds

This red-headed woodpecker arrived this weekend. I have finally photographed all of the woodpeckers native to the St. Louis, MO USA area at my feeder.

Attachments

• IMG_9654.jpg
    IMG_9654.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 54
And what a lovely picture you got of this Red-headed woodie stlbirds.

May I ask what the other woodpeckers are that you've had there? I had a quick look through your previous posts, but only see Pileated mentioned.

I have photographed on this feeder
Downey
Hairy
Red-bellied
Northern Flicker
Pileated
Red-Headed

The Red-Bellied is a male and female that I could almost set my watch based on when they visit to eat in the morning and evening.
The downey is at least one pair of male and female. Last year there were 3 little ones and the mother brought them to the feeder, pulled out some suet, gave it to the little ones and then left them to eat on their own.

I would like to attract a yellow bellied sapsucker but I am not sure their territory really crosses into my location.

Nice pic! We also have the same types here in Ohio. I have yet to catch any on my camera but I don't have feeders so its harder. I just go into the woods across from my house and call them in. I did hear and see downy and red bellied! Hope to post some pix of them soon! What kind of feeders do you use? What seeds? Maybe I should try to put one up by the woods and see if they come!!!

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker migrate through your location spring & fall, but do not frequent your bird feeders. You need to just keep an eye out for them clinging to black walnut/maple/hickory/etc. trees you may have in your yard!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back