• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Scottfla72

Just wondering...

I put up a hummingbird feeder about a week ago... I live in downtown St. Petersburg, FL. Has anybody out there had any good experiences with having hummingbird feeders in "downtown/urban" areas? If so... how long did it take for them to show up?

Also, has anybody out there ever put up a hummingbird feeder and NEVER have a hummingbird show up? Just wondering what my chances are? This is a new venture for me...

Thanks for any input!

Scott

Scott:
In the concrete jungle a lot depends on how well you advertise. I would get plenty of bright red flowers and a few bright yellow ones would not hurt either. The bigger the splash of color the easier it will be for these birds to see. Some red and yellow ribbons, red garden cushions, anything that says "flowers". The only thing I would object to is fake flowers and fake feeders. This is going to be the key.
Despite rumors to the contrary, get that feeder out where it can be seen. Any time I have seen big concentrations of Archilochus species (Ruby-throats and Black-chins), the feeders have been in the open. My least attended feeder is the one in the shade.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Mark,

Thanks for the advice and the reply.

I do have red and yellow flowers planted by the bird bath in the courtyard and the feeder is about 4 feet from there hanging in a small tree (partly shaded). I live in an apartment building and my landlord has let me put up bird feeders and plant flowers in the courtyard. He told me he used to have hummingbirds here years ago but hasn't seen them for a long long time... So I'm hoping and praying! :)

Thanks again!

Scott

Hi Scott, I live in downtown Tallahassee and we get good numbers of Ruby-throated visiting our four feeders. Over winter we had a female Rufous as well. We moved into our new home in august 2004 and within 2 weeks we had several Ruby-throats feeding at our feeders, by September it was ridiculous, I was having to top up the feeders every other day and it was like the Battle of Britain, hummingbirds zipping everywhere. We had this one adult male who was very territorial and spent most of his time chasing the others away.
I would repeat what Humminbird has said. Put your feeder in an open area, somewhere that migrating hummers can see as they fly overhead, they will certainly find it. I have one of my feeders on a shepherds hook and one hangs from a tree but on the outer most branch. The other two are hanging from the house near windows. The hummingbirds visit those most often especially when its raining as the feeders are sheltered by the overhanging roof. If you have space in your yard I would also put out a couple of pots with hummingbird friendly flowers in them. At the moment we have several species of Salvia and Sage in our yard which the hummers love.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back