• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aggressive Blackcap (1 Viewer)

trw

Am I right in thinking that over wintering Blackcaps come from Germany.
If so then the Blackcap in my garden is behaving like the German holiday makers I met at my All Inclusive last year i.e hogging the buffet and metaphorically grabbing the sun beds.
It has been in our garden since Chritmas in Kendal.
It spends all day on the fat feeder and seed feeder.It is first there in the morning and last to leave at night.
The greedy warbler chases allcomers away including the Robins and the much larger Bullfinches.
It has overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned.
About time it flew back to Germany if its not too fat to do so.

:eek!::eek!::eek!:

I see many many many wintering Blackcaps here in the Algarve - though I've never seen any behaving like the rowdy raspberry red Brit crowd that consume large amounts of pie n chips, all day beer and read the Sun while on holiday.....

I see many many many wintering Blackcaps here in the Algarve - though I've never seen any behaving like the rowdy raspberry red Brit crowd that consume large amounts of pie n chips, all day beer and read the Sun while on holiday.....

Well they've got to do something if all the buffet food has been eaten and there are no sunbeds left.

;);););)

Iv'e got a female blackcap that chases other blackcap's away but its fine with other birds, though she does hog the fatballs a bit.

Am I right in thinking that over wintering Blackcaps come from Germany?

Yes and no. In Kendal, it's more likely that a UK-breeder or migrant from the nothern distribution in such as Norway would be candidate.

The majority of West-country winterers do come from southern Germany, migrating WNW instead of (initially) WSW, a process that started on a large scale around 35 years ago, well-documented by ringing recoveries. In this short period, this population has evolved shorter wings, the selection pressures on this short route not favouring long wings.
MJB

Am I right in thinking that over wintering Blackcaps come from Germany.
If so then the Blackcap in my garden is behaving like the German holiday makers I met at my All Inclusive last year i.e hogging the buffet and metaphorically grabbing the sun beds.
It has been in our garden since Chritmas in Kendal.
It spends all day on the fat feeder and seed feeder.It is first there in the morning and last to leave at night.
The greedy warbler chases allcomers away including the Robins and the much larger Bullfinches.
It has overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned.
About time it flew back to Germany if its not too fat to do so.

:eek!::eek!::eek!:

So maybe we are dealing with spies - and the "all inclusive deal" had Brits or Scandinavians disguised as Germans?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back