• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally found a Ring Ouzel myself in the UK (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Last Wednesday, 17th August on the south side of Glyder Fawr, Snowdonia. I've done a lot of hillwalking in this country and just haven't come across them before. Are they very thinly distributed?

Last edited:
Last Wednesday, 17th August on the south side of Glyder Fawr, Snowdonia. I've done a lot of hillwalking in this country and just haven't come across them before. Are they very thinly distributed?

well they're not exactly common;)

well done:t:

Well done! I think they're often quite hard to find in the hills. I only rarely come across them in northeast Scotland, despite the abundance of hill country. They've declined a fair amount too, so are getting harder. They're probably an easier bird to find on migration than in the hills, except perhaps in specific places where they're relatively common.

Nice one A. Had my first Ring Ouzel 2 days before my 40th on The Pass of the Cattle this year. Stubborn little sods are hard to find. I suppose I could have just pulled into that layby on the A9 but where's the fun in that?

Congrats,

Rich

I live in the Lakes where they are supposed to be numerous.
Hardly if ever see them!
Best to learn their call which is distinctive.Even when heard almost impossible to find!
Actually saw one on passage 2 years ago on the Kent Estuary

Yes, I've seen a few before on migration in the UK, but not found by me.

It might also be that having seen quite a few in recent years in places like the Tatras Mountains I was a bit more tuned in to them last week than in the past, so I picked up on this one. Maybe I've had poor views of some in the UK before that I passed off as blackbirds. But this was a really good view last week.

Last edited:
I used to see them quite regularly on Dartmoor - but only in a couple of well-known spots. Not having lived in England for over 10 years - and not seen a single Ring Ouzel in that time - I got a very pleasant surprise in April this year when there were up to four for a few days on the polder within walking distance from home. Seemed strange seeing them in the absolutely flat land that is this part of the Netherlands. Mind you, there were some Highland cattle on the same polder at the same time!

David

Congrats! I have always wanted to see that thrush. I expected to get them when birding in France some years ago but missed them there.

Well done. I've seen them occasionally on migration but was lucky enough to find one near Tomintoul in the Scottish Highlands a few weeks ago.

Dave W

I can recall coming across a party of assembling migrating Rousels (c20), when I was drawn to their ''chacking,'' on high ground above me c20 years ago, at a location (name escapes me) North of loch Garten. Initially I was confused as most were in juvenile plumage..a plumage that I presume doesn't last long? as I've not seen it illustrated. If memory serves they were mostly mottled black and white (not unlike alpestris.

cheers

Blimey, loads of them on An Stuc (just north of Ben Lawers) on Sunday. I suppose it being May means they are more active, so easier to see. But they also seem to have a habit of perching on the edge of a small cliff and then flying off over it out of sight so they can be hard to see well. Still had quite a few that were more obliging.

I finally saw my first confirmed Ouzels (a breeding pair) last May on a fell in the Lakes having had nothing but fleeting 'might have been' moments for years prior to that. They are amazingly elusive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back