• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Hi Bettyboo, I recently bought a PC for an elderly friend. I originally asked for it to have the W7 OS but unfortunately could only get it with W8, so I spent a bit of time customising it for her. There are a lot of web sites titled ‘Top Tips and Tricks for W8’ so you could look for those on Google, however, the best thing that I did was download 'Classic Shell' which gives you a Start button as in previous versions of Windows (missing in W8). It can be configured to XP or W7 view and is free, see link.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Also be aware that W8 does not support DVD playback so unless your new PC already has a player programme installed you will need to download a free one yourself. I used VLC, see link.

http://www.videolan.org/

My friend found W8 'different' at first as she has mainly used XP but she soon became used to it and now loves her new PC.

Good luck,

Dave

It takes time to figure whats what but you'll get there, I preferred windows 7 cos the app tiles do nothing for me but you dont have to use em

Thanks

My new PC not yet arrived has windows 8 loaded has anyone any helpful suggestions and tips...I'm dreading it.:eek!:

Thank you for the helpful reply Dave and Paul I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after some choice expletives:eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back