• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St. Ives birding tips (Chough, Rock Pipit, Dartford W) (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I am going for a few days to St Ives next week. I have never been there, so I do not know anything or any sites around it. I am going by public transport and foot.
My target species are Red-billed Chough, Rock Pipit and Dartford Warbler. If you have any good tips for this species, please let me know. I am also looking for other good locations and species which I could be interested in...

My trip will probably include a visit of Lands End.

Thanks in advance,
Martin
http://birdingsuanjak.blogspot.com

Hello,

I am going for a few days to St Ives next week. I have never been there, so I do not know anything or any sites around it. I am going by public transport and foot.
My target species are Red-billed Chough, Rock Pipit and Dartford Warbler. If you have any good tips for this species, please let me know. I am also looking for other good locations and species which I could be interested in...

My trip will probably include a visit of Lands End.

Thanks in advance,
Martin
http://birdingsuanjak.blogspot.com

Breeding season for Choughs so no sightings are reported.
Marazion beach for Rock pipits - the RSPB reserve there has Warblers.
Seaward there are Divers, Scoter and a lone Eider.
Purple heron reported today.

Thanks for all replies so far!
Choughs: the linked website states that lands end is a good place but it has no further description. Does anyone know where to look at lands end?
dartford warbler: is there a place reachable by foot from st ives?

Found some other species i am really interested: purple sandpiper, red-legged partridge and puffin. Any tips?

Thanks again!
Martin (looking forward to some nice english birds!)

Thanks for all replies so far!
Choughs: the linked website states that lands end is a good place but it has no further description. Does anyone know where to look at lands end?
dartford warbler: is there a place reachable by foot from st ives?

Found some other species i am really interested: purple sandpiper, red-legged partridge and puffin. Any tips?

Thanks again!
Martin (looking forward to some nice english birds!)

Hi Martin.
I grew up in St Ives and I still visit regularly. I have never seen Dartford warblers or Chough on the coast or moors around St Ives. I don't think the Dartfords get that far down although I am seeing lots in the Bournemouth area where I live now. The Choughs are mainly on the South coast I think but travelling there is not too much of a problem.
You will see plenty of Rock pipit. Try the back of the Island (not actually a true island) between Porthmeor and Porthgwidden beaches. Also a walk from Porthmeor towards Zennor can be good and I guess there is a chance of Chough. Also look out for Peregrines, Cuckoo and nesting seabirds. There are also lots of Grey seals and sometimes Dolphins if you are lucky.
Hayle estuary about 5 miles down the coast (you can catch the train to Lelant saltings) can bring up some rarities and has been mentioned Marazion marsh is good along with Drift reservoir on the way to Lands end.
Hope this helps a bit.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back