• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Scopes (1 Viewer)

GSXR Jane

Hello, I am a newbie, and am considering purchasing a Nikon ED50. This model comes with around 9 different eyepieces. Would someone please explain what the difference is between these, as I am confused.

In constrast, does anybody know of any scopes which have image stablisation, as I like the Canon IS bins, or the Nikon VR versions, but the magnification seems to max out around 18x.

Thank-you in anticipation.

Jane.

Hello, I am a newbie, and am considering purchasing a Nikon ED50. This model comes with around 9 different eyepieces. Would someone please explain what the difference is between these, as I am confused.

In constrast, does anybody know of any scopes which have image stablisation, as I like the Canon IS bins, or the Nikon VR versions, but the magnification seems to max out around 18x.

Thank-you in anticipation.

Jane.

Hi Jane, I´m a huge fan of the ED50, but you´re right, the eyepieces take some explaining. Firstly, there are two types, MC and DS. DS is really for digiscoping, but I don´t do photography so I went for MC. DS has a kind of flexible roll-up rubbery gizmo rather than the standard (and easier to use, IMHO) eyecup of the MC. Next, magnification. The zoom eyepiece is great, but a little narrow in Field of View. It gives, I think, 13 to 40x or thereabouts on the ED50. I got this as part of the package when I bought the ED50, and bought two more eyepieces as a caprice. The first is 16xw (this one is 30xw on the larger ED82 scope). It is really stunning, really wide for a "miniscope" (as the "w" denotes), crisp and bright and a joy to use. The magnification isn´t huge, though, so I got myself a 27xw also (giving 50xw on the ED82). Because I have the ED82 as well, I do get a lot of mileage out of having 3 different eyepieces. I hope that explains a bit about the eyepieces. I´ve found that I use the ED50 nearly all the time now, and take the larger ED82 only on outings where mobility isn´t an issue or where distances are great (seawatching, mostly). The ED50 covers most eventualities. BTW, it is possible to digiscope using the MC eyepieces, but I´m not exactly sure how as I´ve never done it, search the many ED50 threads, I´m sure there´s lots of advice there. I hope this is all of help to you, best of luck with your new scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back