• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help to ID a few birds in South Africa (1 Viewer)

mrsconley

I was in South Africa a couple of years ago and still have no clue what kind of birds these are. I'd love any help you could give me! (these are very poor quality photos)

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 51
Hello

1-The first bird is a southern red bishop.

3-The bird in the 3rd pic are green winged pytilia(left) and female red-cheeked cordon-bleu(right).

4-The bird in the 4rth pic is a green-winged pytilia.

5-the bird in the 5th is a southern red bishop .(I think it is the same bird as in photo number 1 ).

Last edited:
The bird on the right of the third pic is known as a Blue Waxbill in South Africa. The bird in the second pic is a male Shaft-tailed Whydah in breeding plumage. The Pytilia is also a male.

Welcome to the forum mrsconley. Come and visit us in the South African thread - lots of pics of SA birds there!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back