• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60 species use nestboxes (1 Viewer)

david2004

60 species use nestboxes - Help us create the list! Post what nested in your nestbox!

The RSPB says that 60 European bird species have been recorded using nestboxes. Does anyone know the full list?

Anyway, help us create the full list by adding what nested in your nestbox (please don't add birds already on the list :bounce: )

Thanks!

Last edited:
Would guess RSPB is referring to British/European species ...otherwise would be a bit small.
An interesting thread ...if everybody adds any species they have in their boxes (trying to add only species not already listed), soon will see if we reach 60.

So, here starts the list...

1. Tree Sparrow
2. Great Tit
3. Blue Tit
4. Common Redstart
5. Pied Flycatcher
6. Starling
7. Swift
8. Goldeneye
9. Hoopoe
10. Wryneck
11. White Stork (stretching it a bit - this is on a platform)

So, there's a handful from my neck of the woods - will be putting up 100 to 150 boxes by next spring, so am sure to add to the list.

Thanks jos, thats a great idea.
12. House martin
13. Swallow
14. Pied/white wagtail
15. Robin
16. Wren
17. Barn owl
18. Tawny Owl
19. Little Owl
20. Kestrel
21. Treecreeper
22. House sparrow
23. Coal Tit
24. Marsh Tit
25. Willow Tit

none of these have actually used MY nestboxes, but nestboxes for these species are available, and they have been used by these species. Come on everyone, post what nested in your nestbox (not on the list so far)!

Are we sure about Song Thrush and Wood Pigeon - would seem unlikely ones? I do stand to be corrected though :) Maybe safer (and more interesting) to let it build up from reports from forum member's own experiences???

Good point jos - i read online and saw a pic of song thrush, not definite about woodpigeon - probably not reliable info!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back