• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Arrived at the Moors east gate at 5pm to catch the Little gull gaining height and then flew off NE. After another 5 minutes 4 ravens (2 prs) engaged in a territorial skirmish.
From the east hide there was a very large group (c250) of all 3 hirundines including 150 swallows. At 5.35 a commotion amongst the BHG drew my attention to my 3rd Osprey of the year, coming over the Education reserve from the west. I looked across to the west hide to see if the birders had picked it up, but it hadn't come into their view when it was attacked by LBBG's, luckily it was not put off and started hovering , by which time the 3 people in the hide managed to see it. It stayed in view for 10 - 15 minutes finally catching a smallish fish.
other species seen included: GCG 4, Teal 2 fems, gadwall male, shelduck 2 males (in addition to the pair at the Flashes). Snipe 3, LRP, common sand, lapwing 2, oystercatcher 4, common tern 3, herring gull,
Not a bad 45 minutes before the management meeting, which also went well.

At the Flashes - where the water has again risen to 0.47
during the meeting sneaked in a bit of birding.
Gadwall pr, shelduck pr, Avocet 10, LRP 6, Lapwing only 4 , The leucistic female has abandoned her nest after nearly 3 weeks.
skylark singing over the transmitter field.

To cap off a pretty good couple of hours, I arrived home to hear and see a Black tailed godwit flying relatively low over my house heading east...could well be at Morton Bagot tomorrow.:t:

As we left this evening the winds were strong due East..tomorrow will be the day.

Last edited:
Whilst Upton missed out on the sizeable tern passage through the West Mids today, all is not lost. Tomorrow the winds are southerly / SSW with further rain in the afternoon which could be promising. The forecast then shows less favourable NW winds on Friday before more easterlies again with rain on both Saturday and Sunday. Get on site and keep your eyes peeled!

Whilst Upton missed out on the sizeable tern passage through the West Mids today, all is not lost. Tomorrow the winds are southerly / SSW with further rain in the afternoon which could be promising. The forecast then shows less favourable NW winds on Friday before more easterlies again with rain on both Saturday and Sunday. Get on site and keep your eyes peeled!

Hi Phil,

The whole of Worcs largely missed out on the tern passage. Despite almost every water being covered at some point today not one Arctic was reported even though several hundred were to both the north and south of the county.

Some wader movement was encouraging though.

Brian

Hi Phil,

The whole of Worcs largely missed out on the tern passage. Despite almost every water being covered at some point today not one Arctic was reported even though several hundred were to both the north and south of the county.

Some wader movement was encouraging though.

Brian

Hi Bri..it would appear that the terns further down the river severn must have followed it up to shropshire and veered off Staffs, but saying that I would have thought Grimley would have got some. Its strange how Gloucestershire got so many and even Shropshire had some as well as good totals in Staffs. The East Mids didn't have as many as yesterday so they didn't come from the east. That's what is so intriguing about Migration we just don't have all the answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back