• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A late Fledgling for the Goldfinches (1 Viewer)

DavidJJones

Garden Bird & Bug Watcher
A sign of a good year for our local Goldfinches which, up to now have been few and far between -

For the last two mornings we have had a newly fledged bird begging for food as its parent collected thistle seeds for a feeder. Also, a bird from an earlier brood (first seen here in late August) was feeding here, and starting to show signs of red plumage on its head.

This is very encouraging as I had never seen young Goldfinches in the garden before this summer. Previously we only ever had very infrequent visits from adults, even though we have had feeders up for several years.

I've posted a couple of images of the visits this morning on my website, although I'm afraid that poor light meant slow shutter speeds so they are not as sharp as I would have liked.

I,ve a flock of about 15 newly fledged young goldfinches on and under the feeders as I write this post.Surely a good year for them

Hi Guys,

Yes, I would agree that it seems to be a good year - I've seen lots whilst out and about and have also seen youngsters in my garden...

Rgds.... Ruby

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back