• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Well, I've put twenty up across the reserve in the last three years (albeit some were open fronted boxes). You put some up recently during the Tuesday work parties.
Twenty? With 50:50 between 25 and 28mm? Although, as I said earlier, I think we can use 28mm all 'round as neither a GSW nor a Grey Squirrel will get through a 28mm hole (I don't think). Although, maybe it's only a matter of getting their heads in far enough...

It is not all about the risk of predation, thermoregulation plays a big part in breeding for hole nesting species, as long as the boxes are not too small then either species of tit will use them. Clutch size will not be affected by hole size either so you are on safe ground there.

However there is still a bigger threat of predation with a larger hole, which goes without saying, I have read in papers that c80% of fatalities within the nest box are down to predation (this is in natural holes) I could not find a figure for man made nest boxes unfortunately.

That list is out of date now - for instance, my own UW list is at least 193 (can't remember exact figure off the top of my head). My own fault for not resubmitting it though.

Also, it's evident that many of the big-hitters won't have submitted theirs.

It's only numbers at the end of the day. 8-P

Let me know your total Dave and I'll update.

I'll see if I can add any other of the 'big-hitters' to the rankings.

Brian

Just back after a manic 2 and a half hours at the mecca.
Arrived at the sailing pool 12.35pm to see the Arctic tern flying around it then gained height looking as if it was offski.
On the way to the Flashes main hide, there was plenty of song from: whitethroat, lesser whitethroat, sedge and reed warbler (quite obvious a fresh influx of sedge warblers), willow warbler (2), blackcap 3 or 4 and chiffchaffs.
From the hide, there was a nice gathering of waders in the shallows of the 'saucer'. This included sanderling, 2 dunlin, 3 common sands, LRP's and a few avocets. The Blackwits continued feeding in the deep water of the 2nd Flash extension. The Arctic tern dropped in and obligingly perched on a muddy mound, posing for cameras. At 2pm I set off to the Moors for the 'skulking' whinchat, Immediately upon arrival, John R rang to say it was on view. On route Vern phoned to say a dunlin and 2 ringed plover had dropped in at the Flashes. A few minutes later another call from Vern to say, that now a whimbrel had joined them. We struggled to see the whinchat well, but stuck for time I had to make a decision what to do. When suddenly the Whinchat decided to show itself on top of a reed mace stem. Decision made! watched it for a couple of minutes then back to the flashes for the waders. Walking back to the car a Yellow wag called and attempted to land in the reeds and a water rail showed well in the cut reed section. As with the Flashes noticeably more sedge warblers.
Onto the Flashes with an assemblance of waders reminiscent of a coastal lagoon. All the waders were within a 50 metre arc of the hide. Whimbrel, 2 ringed plover and now 3 dunlin as well as the previously mentioned species all showing well, to the appreciative masses . Well worth the wroth of the Mrs8-P
This is VIS MIG in the raw:t:

Last edited:
Hows Cettis getting on lads? I understand the hard weather had an effect?

They have more than a toe hold now in Derbyshire (especially Trent Valley, around Derby and even up North at Carr Vale) despite the weather, so we hope they spread a little further this year.

Hi Daniel.
We lost all our Cettis in the winter of 2010/2011. At that point we had reached a peak of 7 singing males across the whole of the reserve.
We didn't have a record from 1st Jan 2011 until Sept 2011 and then we had a male singing briefly for a week or so.
The next record was in Sept/Oct 2012, when a bird was heard calling and thought to be a female. This was joined by a second bird and these called regularly up until early April 2013. Then on 12th April at least 1 male was heard singing, since then we are sure there are 2 males. So hopefully this will be the start of the revival of the species on the reserve.
B :)John
Hope you are well mate:t:

Purely record shots from today

The first 1,2 and 4 are waders from today at the flashes , 3 arctic tern
5 is a moth sp, anybody know what species taken in the Flashes hide on tuesday:t:

Attachments

• 1.Dunlin sanderlingDSCF7221 (2).JPG
    1.Dunlin sanderlingDSCF7221 (2).JPG
    198 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.DSCF7255 (2).JPG
    2.DSCF7255 (2).JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.DSCF7241 (2).JPG
    3.DSCF7241 (2).JPG
    227 KB · Views: 113
  • 4DSCF7262 (2).JPG
    4DSCF7262 (2).JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 5.DSCF7190 (2).JPG
    5.DSCF7190 (2).JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 104
New Day record Tally

Dave J has broken 'crofty juniors' (Paul C, aka oriole boy) record of 81 species in a day. Well done mate you certainly have put in the hours and thoroughly deserve it.
Now Paul no excuses, back in the field a bit more, to regain your title.:t:
At this rate Dave's :king:annual record total could be at risk, although Jarad is also steaming along.
With another 5 year ticks today I am on 110 for the year at Upton.

Last edited:
Great day today company was spot on
few record shots from earlier

1=sanderling
2=Ring Plover + LRP + Dunlin
3=Whinchat

Attachments

• sanderling uw 1.jpg
    sanderling uw 1.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 145
  • ring plover lrp dunlin.jpg
    ring plover lrp dunlin.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Whinchat uw.jpg
    Whinchat uw.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 172
A pic of the male Pied Flycatcher from yesterday.:t:
It puts my UW life list to 150.B :)

A very pleasant evening with lots of great banter.

Chris

Attachments

• pied fly 3.JPG
    pied fly 3.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 118
Arrived just after 7.30am this morning the weather a little overcast but mild and even before I could get my camera and bins out I managed to see a Whitethroat on the sailing club car park, where I decided to head straight to the flashes and do the Sailing pool count a little later.

At the Flashes (tower hide) I was surprised to see no one was tier but hey what a day they missed the Black Tailed Godwits were in and out for a few hours (think this could have been due to a Kestrel showing interest in them) , a Green Sandpiper never returned after the first fly by from the kestrel and then the Sanderling arrived (08.55) a wonderful bird after a few minutes it left heading back towards the Moors but did return after around 10 minutes this time to be joined by a Dunlin.
After doing my counts I had noticed a few smaller birds moving around the Islands a White Wagtail and 3 Little Ringed Plovers which were moving from Island to Island at pace this morning didn’t seem to settle at all.

Only managed to see one Lapwing I would have thought they may have returned by now but here’s still hoping did notice many insects around and just before I left the hide a few Swallows and Sand Martins were flying across the pool.

Heading back towards the Sailing pool I managed to see a few Warblers mainly Willow and Sedge with quite a few Chiffchaff at the entrance to the Flashes counts and full list will follow at end of this little ditto.

Sailing Pool was a nice surprise today 3 Common Sandpiper were the highlight until (a lifer for me) the Artic Tern turned up in the afternoon plenty of Whitethroat and Blackcaps around the entrance to the flashes on the sailing pool side today.

Onto the Salwarpe walk through now and what a change from my last visit this place was alive Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, wrens, finches and for a change butterfliesPeacock, Brimstone, Orange tip, Small White, small blue also ladybirds both red & black bodied.

As for insects they were everywhere looks like being another busy one in this wonderful little area again this year.

Now for the Moors not quite as lively bird species wise as the Flashes but did manage a lifer with the Whinchat also heard the Grasshopper Warbler & Cetti’s Warbler but didn’t connect with the camera, did have 2 Common Sandpiper drop in around 1pm (I wonder if these were the guys moving around on the flashes earlier).

It was great to see that Spring was actually arriving with many trees and bushes now showing signs of budding and the reeds actually turning green again round the North moors there were even Forget Me Not’s in flower also just around by lifestyles

I would like to thank everyone for their help today and especially to the gentleman with the scope in the new hide (on the moors) for letting me look through to see the whinchat.

TODAYS COUNTS –

FLASHES POOLS (7.55am) –

Blackbird, Robin, Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blue tit, Linnet, Great tit, Reed bunting, Song thrush, Mallard (14), Coot (11), Moorhen (5), Magpie, Wood pigeon, Shelduck (2), Black headed gull (250+), Tufted duck (4), Little ringed plover (3), Black tailed godwit (5), Lesser black backed gull (3), Avocet (25), White wagtail, Sanderlin (1), Dunlin (1), Mute swan (2), Canada goose (5), Green sandpiper (1), Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Oystercatcher (1), Swallow, Grey heron, Carrion crow, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Sand martin

SAILING POOL (10.10) –

Great crested grebe (7), Mallard (6), Canada goose (7), Coot (2), Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Sandpiper (3), Black headed gull (14), Blackbird, Robin, Swallow (7), Sand martin (3) got these counts as they rested on the wires just by the outdoor barbi, Artic tern (later in the day)

MOORS POOLS (11.20) –

Robin, Wood pigeon, Blackcap, Blackbird, Long tailed tit, Wren, Great tit, Common sandpiper (2),Mallard (11), Canada goose (23), Moorhen (9), Lesser black backed gull (6), Black headed gull (140+), Tufted duck (37), Blue tit, Reed bunting, Magpie, Bullfinch, Whinchat, Dunnock, Pheasant, Kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Shoveler (2 pairs), Lapwing (1), Teal (1 pair), Coot (36), Shelduck (2), Oystercatcher (2 pairs), Little grebe (2), Great crested grebe (4), Kingfisher, Gadwall (1pair), Cormorant (5), Cetti’s warbler (heard), Carrion crow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Jay, Grasshopper warbler (heard), Buzzard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back