• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to bird in Austin, Texas?? (1 Viewer)

zschagrin

Hi all,

I'm going to be going to Austin, TX in mid-January and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about good places to go birding while I'm there. I should mention that it has to be in the immediate vicinity of the city as I may not have access to a car, so anywhere accessible by public transportation would be great. I'm going to be doing some real city birding but that's okay because I'm from Philadelphia so I'll still see some new birds.

I noticed Zilker Metropolitan Park on Google Maps and was wondering if anyone has been birding here.

Also, I heard there are Painted Buntings in Austin. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks a lot!

Town Lake should offer some birds. Hornsby Bend (near the airport) was good for waders, but January would be bad for those. But it has a hide now.
I've not been to Zilker Park, but Barton Springs (in the park) was noted as a location in a guide I have (but I have no access to it at the moment).
McKinney Falls State Park was quiet in summer, but maybe January may be better for sparrows etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back