• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

curious as to why you doubt it Stuart.

Perhaps because it wasn't reported at the time? Seems like a reasonable reason to me.

Obviously people don't have to report their birds, everyone's personal decision blah blah blah <insert well-rehearsed Norfolk pro-suppression argument here ;)> but it does, inevitably, leave people wondering about the accuracy of the reports.

EDIT: my reasons; Stuart can defend his own corner, of course....!

Last edited:
Perhaps because it wasn't reported at the time? Seems like a reasonable reason to me.

Obviously people don't have to report their birds, everyone's personal decision blah blah blah <insert well-rehearsed Norfolk pro-suppression argument here ;)> but it does, inevitably, leave people wondering about the accuracy of the reports.

Quite. I happen to know a very experienced Norfolk birder, who has been submitting county records since before I was born, who saw a green winged teal over this past winter but did not release the information as it was on a substantial amount of private land.

stuart just checked the wwt website and they still class welney as the ouse washes. the blue winged teal was a cracked bird, showed well close in front of the hide

On a slightly less tense note, who is interested in records for colour ringed black tailed Godwit? I think we may have mentioned them on here before, and I certainly remember seeing notices up about them at Welney and (the other RSPB reserve just outside Boston that isn't Frampton, bugger what's it called?) a few years ago. I've sent an email to the county recorder and the Wash Wetland Bird Ringing group, is there any other group that wants to know about them?

you seem to have doubts about my sighting? Not a bother to me if you do just curious as to why you doubt it Stuart.

Of course not, its always good to have all records in the bird report, to make it a complete picture as it were. For example your wood warbler, green winged teal, breeding short-eared Owls and any other scarce birds you may have found this year ?

As I say I look forward to seeing your name against these records

On a slightly less tense note, who is interested in records for colour ringed black tailed Godwit? I think we may have mentioned them on here before, and I certainly remember seeing notices up about them at Welney and (the other RSPB reserve just outside Boston that isn't Frampton, bugger what's it called?) a few years ago. I've sent an email to the county recorder and the Wash Wetland Bird Ringing group, is there any other group that wants to know about them?

Freiston Shore perhaps?

Re: the colour-ringed Blackwits, you could get in touch with Dave and Pat W at Cley. I'm sure someone will be able to put you in touch...

James

stuart just checked the wwt website and they still class welney as the ouse washes. the blue winged teal was a cracked bird, showed well close in front of the hide

The Ouse washes are in both Norfolk and Cambridgeshire and include two main nature reserves: Welney WWT in Norfolk and RSPB Ouse washes in Cambridgeshire. The blue-winged teal was at RSPB Ouse washes i.e. in Cambridgeshire, earlier this year.

As for the O. Revilles's Green-winged teal at Kelling Quays - well why not?
Hardly a difficult bird to i.d. (assuming it was a drake).

Of course not, its always good to have all records in the bird report, to make it a complete picture as it were. For example your wood warbler, green winged teal, breeding short-eared Owls and any other scarce birds you may have found this year ?

As I say I look forward to seeing your name against these records

I am not one to report things to RBA or official records, in fact with regard to Norfolk records I wouldn't even know where to report them to!
I watch bird for my enjoyment and I will report birds to RBA if they are around for long enough.
In the case of the GWT it moved on quickly and was seen heading over muckleborough (sp?) hill. As someone who hates seeing reports of birds seen yesterday (which are of no use to me as the bird has moved on) I thought it pointless to report a bird that was there but by the time the report would have come out, had moved on. When a bird is there, I report it.

“with regard to Norfolk records I wouldn't even know where to report them to!”

That’s easily solved. Here’s the email address for the joint County Recorders: [email protected]

Directly to Dave and Jacquie is probably the easiest method for all concerned. And to make it even easier (for the recorders and, as I've found out to my own benefit, the submitter) spreadsheet is the preferred format. If you can send them in monthly I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated too...

James

Last edited:
Norfolk bird news

Cheers! Will do in future!
What criteria would you need? Species, location, date and time I'm guessing?

Yes that would be fine. Direction of travel of bird if flying over would be handy and it goes without saying the sooner we hear about the bird news the better, preferably on the same day, at least.

We do submit the bird news (received directly to us) to the county recorders in the spreadsheet style along with the observers name for each bird species report.

Thanks

Robin

Last edited:
I am not one to report things to RBA or official records, in fact with regard to Norfolk records I wouldn't even know where to report them to!
I watch bird for my enjoyment and I will report birds to RBA if they are around for long enough.
In the case of the GWT it moved on quickly and was seen heading over muckleborough (sp?) hill. As someone who hates seeing reports of birds seen yesterday (which are of no use to me as the bird has moved on) I thought it pointless to report a bird that was there but by the time the report would have come out, had moved on. When a bird is there, I report it.

I don't have an opinion on the validity of your sighting but your opinion as regards the value or otherwise of publishing details of your sighting at the time do seem at odds with the following submission you made to the BF Little Blue Heron thread only last week ...

Little Blue Heron, Yorkshire!?

Just seen this come up on RBA...23rd July!
Wonder why its taken 11 days to get out into the public domain? Sounds a bit (a lot) fishy!

Somewhat hypocritical me thinks ...

Chris A.

Slight difference in the two events.
The "LBH" could have been reported as such straight away but people chose not to report it due to an uncertainty over identity, which is fair enough, although why then report it 11 days or whatever it was after the event is beyond me, just creates frustration I feel, especially if the photos had confirmed it was a LBH.

In my case, on this occasion, I had no physical means of reporting it even if I had thought to at the time.
By the time I had reached a location where I could have contacted RBA the bird would have been long gone, it was long gone less than 10 minutes after it arrived.
I even stayed on site for another 3 hours in the hope the bird returned but nothing came of it, by the time I returned home (6 hours after the sighting) I didn't see the point in reporting it seeing as it wasn't a Mega and the fact it wasn't seen again after the initial sighting.

Hypocritical perhaps but there was no way I could have contacted RBA or whoever even if I thought to.

I'm sure the recorders will be very interested in your Green-winged teal as it could potentially be the only record of the species in the county this year.
Also early summer records of Wood Warbler are definitely significant, could be a breeding bird?
Their names are Dave & Jacqui Bridges, contactable at [email protected]

I'm sure the recorders will be very interested in your Green-winged teal as it could potentially be the only record of the species in the county this year.
Also early summer records of Wood Warbler are definitely significant, could be a breeding bird?
Their names are Dave & Jacqui Bridges, contactable at [email protected]

I'll be sure to let them know.....

Titchwell August 8th

Today’s highlights

Wood sandpiper – 1 on reserve
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 30 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit – 45 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 20 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 1 over reedbed

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread