• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a new bridge camera (1 Viewer)

wonderview

I'm looking to upgrade slightly. I'm hopefully looking for some input from people who have experience with the type of cameras I'm about to mention. Here's my criteria.

Type of camera: Bridge with large zoom. Mostly I like bird and nature photography , so large zoom is a factor. It's a hobby I do in what little free time I have , so it's a "Quickly pick the camera up and go outdoors " situation. I don't want to have to deal with lugging a series of lenses around, and changing them to get the shot I want. And I don't try to get award winning photos, I just try to gratify myself with pretty good ones! lol. I never plan on producing large prints. 99% of my photos will just be posted online, or maybe to make small prints that would go in a photo album, so as of now a DSLR is out of the running.

Budget: Somewhere in the $500 Canadian dollar range.

Performance: For instance, the ability to zoom in fast on a small bird, fast focus, both AF and MF.

Low light ability: Often I find myself trying to take photos, especially of birds, in the waning daylight of the late afternoon/early evening, or into heavy undergrowth that reduces lighting amd makes deep shadows.

Has to have a viewfinder.

Decent burst rates, especially at maximum resolution.

Top contenders: Right now, the Fujifilm HS50EXR and the Canon SX50HS.

The manual zoom, manual focus and (from what I've heard), and good electronic viewfinder, and long battery life on the Fuji has me interested, especially for birding. However, in every site I see comments about this camera, someone is always complaining about image quality problems. On the other hand, I've seen some brilliant images posted here and there taken with this camera. Result: Confusion. Is it just camera bashing from people who are loyal to other brands, with no foundation in fact? Or is it fact?
Unfortunately, no one seems to carry this particular camera in their stores around here, so I've never managed to see or handle one in person.

I'm not so much interested in video making, that's just a side consideration, something I only do rarely anyway, so video quality is not a big issue here. If it's just pretty good, that's good enough. Good photos from whatever camera I'm looking into is the issue!

The SX50HS gets a lot of good press, and there's no question it produces great images. But I see some complaints about it's viewfinder being below standard and hard to use in some cases.

Also, the motorized zoom makes me wonder how good it would be to track and zoom in and out quickly on small fast birds moving through branches of trees or whatever. Does it focus quickly in these situations?

Of course there are other similar cameras from Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, etc etc that are close contenders as well. Anyone with any input, and especially first hand experience with any of these cameras, please feel free to comment, I'd find it very helpful. Thanks |=)|

Thanks for the reply and also the link. Some very nice photos there, and you have some great shots also. Now heavily leaning in the direction of the Fuji!

Thanks for the reply and also the link. Some very nice photos there, and you have some great shots also. Now heavily leaning in the direction of the Fuji!

I'm an SX50 user, and am extremely happy with it. The viewfinder isn't great but it's not a massive problem. Sometimes when you get home to process they won't be as sharp as you would have hoped and you don't pick it up in the field because it looked ok in the viewfinder, just take plenty of shots and youll get some good ones.

A link to my flickr for some examples.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99372752@N04/

Ian

I picked up the Fujifilm HS50EXR from Amazon for £250 earlier this year, which is £50 less than the Canon SX50HS. For the money, I really don't think I could have done better. We've captured some excellent bird and wildlife pics using it, and it's a very comfortable, obliging, easy to use camera with fast autofocus. I've never used manual focus, so can't comment.

It may be that the Canon can capture better image quality, but I can't comment on that, because I've not used it.

Looking at your requirements, I'd add a word of caution. The Fuji's low light performance isn't very good imho - not surprising, really, given that it has a very small light sensor. I'd say it's a camera for well-lit conditions.

SOny HX400 Hands down for Speed and Burst rate. Video will be the best and it has awesome MF with Light Peaking. Build quality is the best also. Problem is there is no buffer, once you hit the 10th shot you must wait 10 seconds to shoot again. Best View finder and to me the best low light compared to the Sx50. ALso....Sony will not shoot RAW!

This is from the HX300, last years model.

This was shot before the sun was up, the sky was just turning blue. You could not get better performance for a bridge than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hTr9s5xb0M

This is in perfect light but being hand held with max zoom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CPkApQdNAY

I have played with the HX400 and to me it is better than the hx300 with the IS.

I would wait till the reviews of the new SX60 come out before buying though to see what Canon has done with the latest.

Again the only problem with the Sony is there is no buffer. you have to plan your shots or you will be waiting. With any bridge you won't be able to crop afterwards because the sensor is way too small. With a 50-65 zoom you might thinking you won't need to crop but if you get too close you can't track the bird if it moves then.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your detailed and informative reply. The Sony does look like a great camera. Very nice quality video. However, toward the end of the 2nd video, when the bird flits away to another branch, an issue arises that I'm dealing with from the camera I have now. It's tough to track a quickly moving bird through branches because the motorized zoom is relatively slow to pull back to a wide angle so you can pick up the bird again. The potentially very quick manual zoom on the Fuji is a really attractive feature to me for this reason. But thanks again, it'll be some time before I can upgrade, so I'll have lots of time to mull things over, and I'll definitely keep the Sony in mind before I make the leap.

Thanks very much for your detailed and informative reply. The Sony does look like a great camera. Very nice quality video. However, toward the end of the 2nd video, when the bird flits away to another branch, an issue arises that I'm dealing with from the camera I have now. It's tough to track a quickly moving bird through branches because the motorized zoom is relatively slow to pull back to a wide angle so you can pick up the bird again. The potentially very quick manual zoom on the Fuji is a really attractive feature to me for this reason. But thanks again, it'll be some time before I can upgrade, so I'll have lots of time to mull things over, and I'll definitely keep the Sony in mind before I make the leap.

Yeah the price of going in too close, I know it will cost me but i can't resist the urge!!! haha

Hi there,
I was just wondering if you have bought a new camera yet? It sounds like you were looking for something very similar to me.... I am really struggling to decide!
I'd love to know how you got on with your choice.

I just bought the Fuji HS50 EXR. Haven't really tested it seriously yet, but first impressions are very good. The SX50 seems highly regarded by birders on here and looking through the gallery there are better pics from this camera than the Fuji, but I wonder whether that is simply because so many birders have it? What swung it for me is the manual zoom, the fast focus and the DSLR feel.

I just bought the Fuji HS50 EXR. Haven't really tested it seriously yet, but first impressions are very good. The SX50 seems highly regarded by birders on here and looking through the gallery there are better pics from this camera than the Fuji, but I wonder whether that is simply because so many birders have it? What swung it for me is the manual zoom, the fast focus and the DSLR feel.
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the HS50.... I'm trying to decide between that and the SX50! The manual zoom is a good point I think...plus I'm upgrading from the HS10, so it might make the transition easier...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back